Galaxy's Edge at Disney

D-Ray Kenobi

Going there in a couple of weeks myself. One of associates has been and she said that it's pretty cool. The Falcon ride was good. They're going back this weekend for the Rise of The Resistance. From what I understand it's not big enough to spend the whole day at. You're working the rest of the time all over Hollywood Studios.

I went the week before Christmas. It was awesome. Met's right that it would likely be tough to spend a whole day in the area, but it was such a cool experience. I loved just walking around, taking everything in and then going through again, noticing all of the cool little things they placed all over the place. Even the bathrooms are themed. The blue milk was a nice novelty, too.

The Millennium Falcon ride was cool; my wife and I got to be the two pilots in our run-through of it. Rise of the Resistance opened maybe two weeks before I went, so I was so excited for that. During the time I was there, though, you had to get in line outside Hollywood Studios before it opened to be able to reserve your spot in the virtual queue. They then call your "boarding group" later in the day and you have two hours to show up for the ride. I don't want to say much about the ride, itself, but it was absolutely amazing. I have never seen anything like it before. If you don't mind getting up super early for it, it is definitely worth the hassle.

I'm not big on lots of souvenirs, but I built a lightsaber, which was a cool experience. It ended up being a bit of a pain to get it back home, so if you want to do that and are flying, I would consider having it shipped at the First Order Depot. I got a green saber in the power series. The droid workshop was so cool. We weren't planning on getting a droid, but my wife really love the idea of picking parts off of the conveyor belt, so she went ahead and built an R-series droid. That and the saber aren't cheap, but making them were cool experiences and they're fun items to have around.

While it isn't part of Galaxy's Edge, I still really love Star Tours, too. We went on it three times. The last time was the night ROS opened and they already had a version of the ride that was entirely based on it, which was awesome.

D-Ray and Met, I hope you both have an awesome time there!

Awesome. To be honest, I actually thought that the building the droid was cooler because of the environment. Also, I know you're most excited for visiting Galaxy's Edge, but if you haven't been to it before, I also thought that Toy Story Land was really cool, too. It is right next to Galaxy's Edge and was also fun to walk around in.

Not sure about Florida, but in California, aside from the droid builders in Star Wars Land, they also have a mini build-a-droid at the Star Tours store (which is not in Star Wars Land but in the original Tomorrowland.) You can build an action figure and put it in its own case similar to the ones we used to buy and play with as kids.

• 3 weeks later...

Kinda getting giddy right now. Doing a Disney weekend. Saturday we'll be doing Galaxy's Edge. I'm definitely building a droid. BB unit. I don't I'll do Savi's workshop. As cool as it would be to build a lightsaber, their options are very limited. Now I have an Obi Wan episode 2 master replica an Anakin episode 2 force fx. The only other saber I want is a Count Dooku replica, which they don't have at Galaxy's Edge.

I only have the two. I got those before I started dating my wife. I'm sure if I were single I'd probably have most of the hilts.

I fell down the rabbit hole years back of collecting the found items the original props were made from for ANH, and more recently, into the world of fan-made replicas that have nerd-level accuracy that even Lucasfilm does not.

My movie sabers are 3 Vaders (ANH, EB, and the ROTJ stunt), 5 Skywalker sabers (Anakin's version from ROTS, Luke's from ANH and ESB, then the TFA/TLJ version, and I am working now on the TROS version), two Luke ROTJ sabers (the hero version shown in close ups, and the belt-hanger) and an Obi-Wan ANH saber. The Luke ANH and Obi-Wan are real-parts builds.

And then I have about 25 custom sabers I've made myself for a zen hobby.

post-113-0-74009100-1580856800_thumb.jpgpost-113-0-79504900-1580856808_thumb.jpgpost-113-0-32742500-1580856818_thumb.jpg

The ESB Vader is in the middle of a refirb-- I got some better parts, so not all the details are on there. Part of the ANH box detail came unglued too, still have to fix it.

The ROTS Skywalker saber is getting electronics installed, and I am still working on the TROS so it's in pieces.

With the Obi-Wan sabers-- the one standing is the real parts, the one laying down is a fan repro.

Its weird, its really great that alot of people love Galaxy's Edge and get excited to go. But I'd have zero interest in going. I don't think you could pay me to do it.

Honestly its not a big deal if youre on a budget. If I had money growing out of my ears I would probably be more inclined to enjoy it. But you have to spend your monthly rent and two car payments to be able to do all the activities they promote. And there are only two actual rides. The Falcon ride and the new Rise of the Resistance one, which requires you to be early to get a boarding pass. Its not a ride you can just walk in and line up for. The rest of the place is just shops and places to eat and drink, which as you can imagine, its Disney so a Coke costs $6.

Its weird, its really great that alot of people love Galaxy's Edge and get excited to go. But I'd have zero interest in going. I don't think you could pay me to do it.

You could pay me to do a lot of stuff that would be worse than spending time at a theme park.

The Vader hilt is one I'd like. The Anakin episode 2 saber is basically an all chrome version of it. Unfortunately my force fx doesn't have a removable blade. They just released the Ben Solo lightsaber which is(and I never noticed it from TLJ) a silver version of the Kylo Ren saber without the side vents.

Now that I think about it, the episode 3+ Anakin saber is the only major one that doesn't does draw or lend inspiration to another saber.

So you built these all yourself from original parts (except the one Obi-wan)? Why is the one Luke saber flaking like that? Just cuz old parts or have you been killing Weequays with it too much?

The ANH Luke and Obi-Wan are original parts. Specifically, the Luke saber is a camera flash from the 1930s. Obi-Wan's is an internal plane engine part mounted on a WW1 rifle grenade, with a piece from the Luke camera flash, and a sink knob.

The rest in those pics are replicas made by fans who do way better work than any official licensed product.

The Luke saber looks the way it does to match to prop in the movie. If you want to know why THAT one is all flakey, I can tell you, but it's a long story.

Now that I think about it, the episode 3+ Anakin saber is the only major one that doesn't does draw or lend inspiration to another saber.

Untrue! I wish I had mine to show you. But it is technically the same saber (storywise) from ANH, ESB, TFA, TLJ, and TROS. All of those movies, save for TROS used the camera flash from the 30s I mentioned. TROS used a fan-run replica. ROTS made theirs from scratch. It's dimensions are way off, and the details are wrong, but since it is supposed to be the same saber, it was based off one of the OT era props used by Luke.

Two weeks away, I'm pretty pumped.

To the extent I can, I'm treating this as if it's just another one of our trips abroad. Since virtually everything there is in-universe it might as well be. We've got reservations for the Cantina and the Droid Depot, and I know I'll have to make a mad rush to get a spot on Rise of the Resistance. Other than that, we're going to take our time there and just fool around inside Batuu without much of a plan. Most sites I've read have said that you can easily ride the Falcon in the afternoon with only a half hour wait, so I'll just head to that when we're ready.

In an ideal world, I would have liked to stay in the themed hotel they're building so we can do an entire weekend there and really treat it like a full-on Westworld experience. But I saw the projected price tag on that and was like nah, now's the time. I'm about to blow enough money anyways!

For getting a spot for Rise of the Resistance, unless things have changed considerably within the last month, you don't really need to do a mad dash. You just need to get to Hollywood Studios before it opens to wait in a huge "line" with everyone else there for the same thing. the official park opening when I went was 7 am, but they opened at 6:30. I got there at maybe 6:10 and was near the back of the pack. I got into the park at about 7:05 and was in group 81. The day I went, that meant my time was around 2:30 in the afternoon. The pack/line to get into the park that morning was very orderly, not at all like a black Friday rush. The only mad dash I had to do was to get back to the lightsaber appointment I had at 7:15 or so.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.