Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Hey, anyone start a Kenobi thread yet?

56 replies to this topic

Zathras

Zathras

• Members
  • 102 posts

So, out on the inner-webs, there are some rumors/fan theories (basically, unsubstantiated OPINIONS!) that Obi Wan is not cancelled per se:

1. one idea out there is they cancelled the pre-production because the script sucked and they are redoing the script.

2. another idea out there is they cancelled the web TV series because they want to make an Obi Wan film, maybe even multiple films

3. one other thing I read is they will split the difference, and make the film they originally pitched and had worked on, until they canceled it in favor of the web TV series, and after that film, they will then do an Obi Wan series.

So, has anyone heard anything different, or is this all BS and the Obi Wan deal is done and won't be made?

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 19,492 posts
Nothing is ever done and won't be made. Fans want Obi-Wan, and it's going to happen, and probably on Disney+. It reminds me a lot of the whole "Spider-Man is done with the MCU forever!" thing. Disney isn't leaving money on the table and Disney+ needs AAA content. The completely original content isn't going to carry the service at this point.

Zathras

Zathras

• Members
  • 102 posts

Oh I have no doubt it will be made in some form.  I was just wondering what others' might have heard, or even just think might happen for discussion's sake.

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 19,492 posts

Yeah, I've just heard the same doomsday talk about it being cancelled.  And I shared what I think will happen: it's going to happen and it's going to be on DIsney+.  

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 35,047 posts
It's still a Disney+ show at the moment. The original movie pitch was turned into a couple episodes. Then a second script was commissioned to add content for more episodes by a different writer. This was done in the same way that TFA and some of the other new SW stuff was made-- they needed something in development so they had people just making stuff.

When the showrunner came on she inherited that material and decided (probably wisely) that it needed to be revised into something more cohesive, possibly longer to add more content. After seeing the response to The Mandalorian, they thought it wise to do it right.

They decided to look for writers to come aboard to either revise the material, or develop new stuff like a traditional writer's room. When word of that got out, everybody freaked and all the rumors and BS started. The production schedule is still so far out it's possible they will be done and nothing will change. Or it may cause a delay.
  • Brando and Zathras +1 this

Zathras

Zathras

• Members
  • 102 posts

So, based on that, it sounds like they are simply changing the approach for Obi Wan from how the ST was done, to how the Mandalorian was done. 

I agree, if that's the case, then that IS for the best.  Do you happen to know if that means some people on the Mandalorian will also be working on Obi Wan, too?  If so, I think that would be a smart move.

Thank you for clarifying all that, as well, Tank.

Dark Wader

Dark Wader

• 2,501 posts

It's also never been given a release date. Like Brando said, it will definitely happen - Disney have been pretty smart in not just not announcing when. We only got offical releases for 2 of the Marvel shows the last week and only because they're clearly well into production. 

From what Ewan has said recently, production for the Obi Wan series won't start until next year, so a long way out yet. I think a lot of people are freaking out because they expected something this year - the most SW wise we're gonna get this year is Mando season 2 and a couple of animated series. 

Reply to this topic