Hey, anyone start a Kenobi thread yet?

Ms. Spam

So, out on the inner-webs, there are some rumors/fan theories (basically, unsubstantiated OPINIONS!) that Obi Wan is not cancelled per se:

1. one idea out there is they cancelled the pre-production because the script sucked and they are redoing the script.

2. another idea out there is they cancelled the web TV series because they want to make an Obi Wan film, maybe even multiple films

3. one other thing I read is they will split the difference, and make the film they originally pitched and had worked on, until they canceled it in favor of the web TV series, and after that film, they will then do an Obi Wan series.

So, has anyone heard anything different, or is this all BS and the Obi Wan deal is done and won't be made?

Nothing is ever done and won't be made. Fans want Obi-Wan, and it's going to happen, and probably on Disney+. It reminds me a lot of the whole "Spider-Man is done with the MCU forever!" thing. Disney isn't leaving money on the table and Disney+ needs AAA content. The completely original content isn't going to carry the service at this point.

Yeah, I've just heard the same doomsday talk about it being cancelled. And I shared what I think will happen: it's going to happen and it's going to be on DIsney+.

It's still a Disney+ show at the moment. The original movie pitch was turned into a couple episodes. Then a second script was commissioned to add content for more episodes by a different writer. This was done in the same way that TFA and some of the other new SW stuff was made-- they needed something in development so they had people just making stuff.

When the showrunner came on she inherited that material and decided (probably wisely) that it needed to be revised into something more cohesive, possibly longer to add more content. After seeing the response to The Mandalorian, they thought it wise to do it right.

They decided to look for writers to come aboard to either revise the material, or develop new stuff like a traditional writer's room. When word of that got out, everybody freaked and all the rumors and BS started. The production schedule is still so far out it's possible they will be done and nothing will change. Or it may cause a delay.

So, based on that, it sounds like they are simply changing the approach for Obi Wan from how the ST was done, to how the Mandalorian was done.

I agree, if that's the case, then that IS for the best. Do you happen to know if that means some people on the Mandalorian will also be working on Obi Wan, too? If so, I think that would be a smart move.

Thank you for clarifying all that, as well, Tank.

It's also never been given a release date. Like Brando said, it will definitely happen - Disney have been pretty smart in not just not announcing when. We only got offical releases for 2 of the Marvel shows the last week and only because they're clearly well into production.

From what Ewan has said recently, production for the Obi Wan series won't start until next year, so a long way out yet. I think a lot of people are freaking out because they expected something this year - the most SW wise we're gonna get this year is Mando season 2 and a couple of animated series.

• 6 months later...

Itd be a great nod if he responded with some version of thats not my name anymore.

But Star Wars isnt known for continuity. I mean, they had to turn Obi Wan into a liar to fit the story into the existing canon, and that was just on the second movie.

I cant wait until we get to see the real, non-Jedi influenced fake news version of the prequels where its obvious that Palpatine really was the hero.

Disagree. Lucas wasn't known for continuity. Disney-LFL is very committed to it.

This idea of him not having heard that name will be written into it and they'll try very hard to shoehorn something into this to have it make sense, which currently it doesn't. Who knows, maybe they'll even succeed.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.