Hey, anyone start a Kenobi thread yet?

Ms. Spam

Obi Wan is my favorite character, at least he was before Kylo Ren, I just don't see anything interesting here. We know alot about Obi Wan in the time before this series is set. We know alot about him in the time after its set. We know he is gonna end up finding Luke on Tatooine. I just don't see any reason for this. Ive before I think choosing a popular character and saying "hey fans like him lets make a show or movie about him" is a terrible approach to making content.

The thing about Andor is Rogue One told his story, and I don’t see Lucasfilm having the guts to make an entire series about him being the character he was at the beginning of the movie. The temptation to redeem him will be high, and that will invalidate his change in Rogue One.

Is it becoming obvious to Lucasfilm that the times they have problems is when they try to expand on OT characters? The highest quality content they've delivered since the OT has been with original characters: Rogue One, Rebels, The Mandalorian.

Whenever they get to navel gazing, it's usually a bad idea and they divide the fan base. See PT, ST, Solo.

It's pretty unanimous that Ewan as Obi-Wan was one of the few bright spots in the PT, so it seems like a good idea, but expanding the story of a beloved character is dangerous territory.

The thing about Andor is Rogue One told his story, and I don’t see Lucasfilm having the guts to make an entire series about him being the character he was at the beginning of the movie. The temptation to redeem him will be high, and that will invalidate his change in Rogue One.

Itll be more like this: he always struggles with the morals of war and whether the ends justifies his means. However he normally will make the right choice, although not always perhaps. I don't think that invalidates what he does in Rogue One.

Is it becoming obvious to Lucasfilm that the times they have problems is when they try to expand on OT characters? The highest quality content they've delivered since the OT has been with original characters: Rogue One, Rebels, The Mandalorian.

Whenever they get to navel gazing, it's usually a bad idea and they divide the fan base. See PT, ST, Solo.

It's pretty unanimous that Ewan as Obi-Wan was one of the few bright spots in the PT, so it seems like a good idea, but expanding the story of a beloved character is dangerous territory.

Only because fans are insane. Myself included. LOL. I disagree with your assessment of what Disney has done best. My 2 favorites are easily The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi. It's not even close really.

I agree with your assessment though in how the general fanbase reacts to things and personally at this point I'd rather mostly see new characters or at least non iconic characters.

Even so I don't really have a big problem with Obi Wan being on a show or movie. I don't like the process of "hey, lets make an Obi Wan show" though.

I've always liked the idea of a spy show in Star Wars. In fact when they annouced live action shows I'mpretty sure it was my first suggestion. So I kinda look at it like "hey a spy show would be cool. Hey we already have a rebellion spy played by a really good actor, lets go with that!"

Everything you all say is true. Though, I think with good writing, both could be successful. I'm a fan boy. I admit it. the OT era is my favorite era.

The way I see it, the future of Star Wars, at least as far as good story telling goes, is via series. Honestly, the way blockbuster genre movies in general these days rely of FX and story telling that is too simplistic. At least for me, it is. A series gives you the ability to flesh out characters because you have more than 2 1/2 hours to tell your story.

Obi Wan as portrayed by Ewan McGregor is a deep character with a lot of potential for good stories. I'm of the opinion in his early years after ROTS, he wouldn't just sit still, after he got over his initial shock of the destruction of the Jedi Order, and he would want to do what he could and where he could. Maybe the series could start out with him being a broken man, ready to just give it all up, and some event triggers him to take action. Maybe even missions for Bail Organa in secret. There's 19 years to play with there.

Andor is basically (to me) Kyle Katarn on screen. There could be a whole host of new characters introduced, as well, so such a show need not only focus on Andor. We could see the journey of Andor starting out as a more optimistic character, and as the series goes on, he gets more dark, and ends with him ending up like he was in Rogue one, sort of like Jack Bauer.

It think both shows have the potential for good cameos of Vader, the Emperor, which I would love to see. Also, there are 2 examples of that era (between ROTS and R1) that I think are solid are Rebels and Jedi: Fallen Order. I might be the only one who thinks that, but I think if LFL was smart about it, they would have good writers (maybe some of the same ones from Mando) run with that era. Obi Wan could be the beginning of that era, Andor could be towards the end of that era. They would be good bookends and complimentary to each other.

But then again FJ makes a great point: fleshing out old characters has gotten Star Wars into trouble. Maybe the better way to go would be more of a Rise of the Rebellion approach, with occasional appearances of Bail, Obi wan, Mon Mothma, Cassian Andor, but center it on all-new characters.

I said picking a character and just making a show about him is a bad approach. However Star Wars being scared of Star Wars is a worse approach. If they believe they have a good idea for anything, any character, any time period they should go for it. The very last thing they should ever think is "oh what if this goes against what some fans want, we could get in trouble."

Obi Wan is my favorite character, at least he was before Kylo Ren, I just don't see anything interesting here. We know alot about Obi Wan in the time before this series is set. We know alot about him in the time after its set. We know he is gonna end up finding Luke on Tatooine. I just don't see any reason for this. Ive before I think choosing a popular character and saying "hey fans like him lets make a show or movie about him" is a terrible approach to making content.

I agree with you that they should be making original stories-- but I would like to see an Obi-Wan limited series. I want to see Obi-Wan dealing with a loss of faith and the fact that his failings as a teacher resulted in making a space Hitler. Honestly, the way I see Kylo Ren as how Anakin should have been betrayed, everything they invented for Luke in the ST is what I went to see out of an Obi-Wan inbetween-quel.

Plus if anyone from the PT deserves a do-over it's Ewan McGregor.

One story, limited episodes, and that's enough. I don't need 3 season of Obi-Wan having adventures.

I agree with you that they should be making original stories-- but I would like to see an Obi-Wan limited series. I want to see Obi-Wan dealing with a loss of faith and the fact that his failings as a teacher resulted in making a space Hitler. Honestly, the way I see Kylo Ren as how Anakin should have been betrayed, everything they invented for Luke in the ST is what I went to see out of an Obi-Wan inbetween-quel.

Plus if anyone from the PT deserves a do-over it's Ewan McGregor.

One story, limited episodes, and that's enough. I don't need 3 season of Obi-Wan having adventures.

I really like that idea.

You should become a writer.

I want the Obi Wan series to answer the one question.

Do Owen and Beru know Anakin turned to Vader? Or do they think Anakin is dead?

In the alternate universe where I make this show, I'd kill to start it with a flashback that gives us some of what was set up in ANH. I'd love to get Hayden and Natalie for one scene-- dinner at the Lars farm. Owen, Beru, Anakin, and Padme at the farm, bing a fun joking happy family. It's set between ATC and ROTS, during the Clone Wars. This is the place Anakin and Padme come to have their secret meetings, away from everything.

Then Obi-Wan shows up for Anakin telling him that there's intelligence that the Separatists are going to attack Courescant. Owen gives the whole "stay here, be happy, don't get involved, you've done enough" speech, but of course, Anakin and Padme leave... and we know they never come back again.

That would be effing great. Owen telling Anakin he has given enough to the galaxy and that the Jedi Order has not brought him what he wants. That his greatest want is right there in front of him. A quiet, happy home life with his family, Padme by his side. This would bring it full circle from ROTS when Padme pleads with Anakin to run away with her.

I want the Obi Wan series to answer the one question.

Do Owen and Beru know Anakin turned to Vader? Or do they think Anakin is dead?

In the alternate universe where I make this show, I'd kill to start it with a flashback that gives us some of what was set up in ANH. I'd love to get Hayden and Natalie for one scene-- dinner at the Lars farm. Owen, Beru, Anakin, and Padme at the farm, bing a fun joking happy family. It's set between ATC and ROTS, during the Clone Wars. This is the place Anakin and Padme come to have their secret meetings, away from everything.

Then Obi-Wan shows up for Anakin telling him that there's intelligence that the Separatists are going to attack Courescant. Owen gives the whole "stay here, be happy, don't get involved, you've done enough" speech, but of course, Anakin and Padme leave... and we know they never come back again.

I think alot of people envisioned something like this. I actually think this would have been a great start for the entire trilogy. Backstory is Anakin at some point did something terrible and realized he can't control his power. So he "retires". The Clone Wars go bad and the Republic is on the verge of defeat so Obi Wan goes and brings him back, despite knowing what Anakin did in the past. It coulda been a mystery as to exactly what Anakin did in the past, it could hang over the whole trilogy.

One thing I always liked was in TCW season 1, Anakin had actually piloted a spice freighter, so what Uncle Owen said about him piloting a spice freighter during the Clone Wars was true.

In my head canon, I think Owen didn't know Anakin turned to Vader, but he did know he was a jedi, and given the political climate of the time (Emperor claiming the Jedi turned and tried to overthrow the Republic/Empire), Owen was trying to save Luke from both the stigma of being a son of a jedi, and also prevent him from following in his father's (Anakin's, not Vader's) footsteps.

There's always conversations we could see between Owen and Ben post ROTS that serve as the basis for what Owner tells Luke about Anakin. Owen could even throw out a "He should have never left here-- he followed you and it got him killed. I'm telling this brat his dad was a Spice Freighter pilot!"

Would Owen tend to believe that propaganda over what Obi Wan tells him?

I don't think Obi Wan did. I think at that point, he would have told Owen the same thing he told Luke: Vader betrayed and murdered Anakin. That's because it's what Obi Wan convinced himself of, that Vader was not the same man as Anakin, his friend. Besides, how do you drop a baby on someone's door step and say, "BTW, this is space Hitler's son."

That would make sense as to why they wouldn't change his name from Skywalker to Lars. But that's a huge risk for Obi Wan to take. If he tells them the truth, they might freak and not want to take on the responsibility of raising this baby. But by not telling them, he put them in a danger they didn't even know existed. From their perspective, sure the Emperor purged the Jedi. But this baby will grow up a farmer on a backwater world. What's the big deal? Let's honor his dad by keeping his name.

Obiwan would have had all kinds of school kid rumors about himself on Tatooine. Don't go out to the caves on the escarpment! They're haunted by an old Cloner War dude who drinks a lot and reads and cuts arms off. And kids and Jawas in sandcrawlers come around Obi's place to throw Star Wars version of eggs and toilet paper on dares. You could even cut to him muttering to himself as he pulls stuff off rocks around his home in the version of "Get Off My LAWN!" using a lightsaber rake or zapping it with blasters. They only know him because he comes to town sometimes and sits in the Cantina listening to stories trying to find out what Luke is up to and he prolly scurries around stalker style. Small town atmosphere. And he's sneaky so the drunk stuff is a LIE! HA!

That's what I got.

Take it or leave it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.