What's your final E1-9 ranking?

Darth Ender

18 minutes ago, Lord Darth Hunter said:

Curious, are you all ranking them based on your personal favorites or on which you feel are better films? I recognize the original 1978 Halloween is clearly the better film, but I still prefer 1981's Halloween II. So in my rankings I'd put it ahead of the first. I have a fondness for Friday the 13th Part III so I put it ahead of The Final Chapter even though that one is overall much better.  

My rankings are based on favorites.  Ranked favorite to least favorite.

Same here, for me the only thing that matters is my enjoyment from watching a movie. If all the things that make a movie "better" don't add up to the movie being more entertaining then who cares? Its like if some world famous pastry chef makes something for you with all these amazing ingredients but a twinkiee still tastes better then the twinkiee is better. 

6 hours ago, Lord Darth Hunter said:

Curious, are you all ranking them based on your personal favorites or on which you feel are better films? I recognize the original 1978 Halloween is clearly the better film, but I still prefer 1981's Halloween II. So in my rankings I'd put it ahead of the first. I have a fondness for Friday the 13th Part III so I put it ahead of The Final Chapter even though that one is overall much better.  

In my case, it's pretty much both. I'm too much of a film nerd/asshole to be able to not combine both quality and feels when judging a movie.

That said, I have always maintained that of the top two, ESB is the better made film, but ANH is better Star Wars.

I think there is some truth to that, but when it comes to Star Wars films, it seems most agree TROS is the worst or close to it.  From a technical, cinematography, CGI, and FX perspective, it should rank a lot higher, but the story just, well, sucks.  I would watch and enjoy AOTC far much over TROS, because while a bad movie, it has a lot of good Star Wars concepts and world building, despite TROS being more polished.  

AOTC LOOKS terrible on top of having a terrible story. It was one of the first films shot digitally, and it shows. It looks like a video game cut scene.

TROS is an insult to anyone with more than three brain cells, but at least it is technically state of the art, which SW movies should be, and has some of the coolest visuals in the saga.

And even with terrible dialog and a crap plot, I find Rey and Poe to be characters I like. FAR more than Anakin and Padme.

Whats always been funny to me about AOTC is that it without a doubt has the worst stuff ever in Star Wars in it. If you were gonna list the 10 worst scenes in Star Wars Id say more than half would be from this movie and probably the top 4-5 all from this movie as well. Also as Tank said the movie doesn't always look great or even good. Having said all that I still find the 2nd half of the movie really entertaining like from the Obi Wan-Jango fight on the landing platform through the end. I just like it, I enjoy it. Im not defending the many issues with the movie or denying they exist I just find that last hour plus to be entertaining, along with a few things in the first half. 

Choc hit the nail on the head.  The Obi Wan VS Jango fight as well as space chase are the 2 best parts.  Padme/Anakin scenes are really bad for sure, but I like the other scenes on Coruscant, like the chase. Not to mention it AOTC has Christopher Lee.  I won't defend either film, but I just find AOTC more watchable.  It may just be a JJ thing for me because I find very few of his films or shows to have any kind of re-watch-ability.  TFA I can rewatch, but for the most part, he is all flash and no substance. 

9 hours ago, Tank said:

AOTC LOOKS terrible on top of having a terrible story. It was one of the first films shot digitally, and it shows. It looks like a video game cut scene.

TROS is an insult to anyone with more than three brain cells, but at least it is technically state of the art, which SW movies should be, and has some of the coolest visuals in the saga.

I’m not arguing with you but it’s kinda interesting in a way - AoTC is dated as hell and it shows, but at the same time wouldn’t you consider it kind of state of the art because it was one of the first films of the digital age and did progress the tech pretty significantly.

ROS in a way looks way better visually but it wasn’t doing anything that state of the art, just a JJ looking flick. 

It still ends up being a case of which shit smells worse though. 

As for how the movies look I do think thats something the ST did amazingly well. With a few exceptions here and there I never really thought of the Star Wars movies are being visually beautiful. Obviously the effects shots can be impressive in the OT considering the tech at the time but with a few exceptions mostly in ESB there aren;t many shots that are beautiful or memorable just for how they look. The ST though is a different story. TFA has some beautiful shots especially on Starkiller Base as the lights from the sun gets low and the saber's glow off the snow. The I think TLJ just takes the entire visuals to a completely different level and is just a gorgeous movie. TROS took some inspiration from Johnson's use of red and really JJ gave alot of the scenes in TROS a bluish-greenish tone. That movie looks great too although not quite to the level of TLJ. So yeah just saying the ST took that whole part of Star Wars to a different level. 

That’s part of my reasoning when I say The PT is a bunch of decent ideas, horribly executed, while the ST is the reverse.

Technicalky speaking, the ST made SW cinematic again. TLJ absolutely is the best looking SW film in terms of visuals.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm generally attracted to originality. The bottom six are probably the most repetitive and what I grew tired off as a fan since 86. It's really sad about SOLO because there was a lot it has to it that could elevate the film but a lot of the retconned Disney Han Solo origins were crap and the guy was poorly miscast as a young Han; Baby Driver is more of a Han Solo origin story than Solo itself, despite the best efforts of Childish Gambino (that whole droid freedom subplot stemmed from the random line in Empire is almost as bad as the entire plot of Rise of Skywalker).  Bring me more Filoni/Favreau/Howard/Johnson (Breaking Bad POWER!).

1. The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

2. The Last Jedi (2017)

3. The Mandalorian (2019-)

4. Star Wars (1977)

5. The Book of Boba Fett (2021-???)

6. Rebels (2014-2018)

7. Rogue One (2016)

8. The Clone Wars (2008-2020)

9. The Phantom Menace (1999)

10. Clone Wars: Micro Series (2003-2005)

11. The Force Awakens (2015)

12. Revenge of the Sith (2005)

13. Return of the Jedi (1983)

14. SOLO (2018)

15. Attack of the Clones (2002)

16. The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

On 2/24/2022 at 1:40 AM, Tank said:

Difference is, AOTC looked like ass the day it was released and a lot of people called it out. I mean, Lucas WAS right, literally everything is shot digitally now. That was just too early.

Nothing about Clones has aged well at all. At least Sith was a step in the right direction with digital cinematography. Clones is the cinematic equivalent of Dragon Age: Origins in how dated it looks in the history of digital filmmaking.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2022 at 3:00 PM, The Choc said:

Same here, for me the only thing that matters is my enjoyment from watching a movie. If all the things that make a movie "better" don't add up to the movie being more entertaining then who cares? Its like if some world famous pastry chef makes something for you with all these amazing ingredients but a twinkiee still tastes better then the twinkiee is better. 

I just wanted to see what people's opinions here were because nothing ruins a conversation faster than someone who can't recognize the difference between best and favorite. Not saying anyone here does that, I'm speaking more in general terms. I've been in conversations with both types and the one who can separate the two types goes much better. It's like if Return of the Jedi is my favorite film, then it's my favorite to watch and that's the one I'll put on and enjoy more than the others. But I would never push it as the best SW film. 

• 8 months later...

Okay, not sure if we did this after "Obi Wan" or not but it;'s time for every Star Wars fans favorite thing to do, ranking shit! So for myself, like I did last time I did this, I will consider live action movies and tv shows and I will consider each season of each show it's own thing. Which basically means Im just splitting Mando into it's 2 seasons. 

1-The Last Jedi

2-The Empire Strikes Back

3-Star Wars

4-The Foce Awakens

5-Andor

6-Revenge of the Sith

7-Rogue One

8-Return of the Jedi

9-Obi Wan Kenobi

10-Solo

11-The Mandalorian Season 2

12-Attack of the Clones

13-The Phantom Menace

14-The Mandalorian Season 1

15-The Rise of Skywalker

16-The Book of Boba Fett 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Mando S3 trailer has made me reflect and make adjustments... I think I'd rather watch AOTC again than BOBF.

ESB

ANH

R1

Mando S2

Andor S1

Mando S1

ROTJ

Obi-Wan S1

TFA

TLJ

SOLO

BOBF (Mando episodes)

ROTS

TPM

TROS

AOTC

BOBF S1

I'm fickle, and my rankings have changed:

1. ESB

2. ANH

3. Rogue One

4. ROTJ

5. Mando Season 1

6. Mando Season 2

7.  Obi Wan

8. Andor

9. ROTS

10. TFA

11. Solo

12 AOTC

13.  Original TCW shorts

14. TCW

15.  Rebels

16. BOBF

17.  TPM

18. Star Wars Holiday Special

19. Droids/Ewok Adventures/Ewok movies

20. TLJ

21. TROS

• 4 months later...

Changed my ranking a little bit...

1. A New Hope

2. The Empire Strikes Back

3. The Last Jedi

4. Return of the Jedi

5. Andor

6. Rogue One

7. Obi-Wan

8. Mandalorian

9. The Force Awakens

10. The Rise of Skywalker

11. Revenge of the Sith

12. The Book of Boba Fett

13. The Phantom Menace

14. Attack of the Clones 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.