What's your final E1-9 ranking?

Darth Ender

The PT and the ST are flip sides of the same coin. As individual films, the PT is incoherent, bloated, and at times completely confusing. But when you watch the trilogy as a whole, you know what you watched and the point of the story.

The ST is much better on an individual basis, but there's no flow between the films, and no overall story.

This is where I'm naive - but what really is incoherent about the prequels? Don't get me wrong, there were many, many times I said "that's f**king stupid" but things still made sense. I'm probably forgetting things but I don't remember there being anything too confusing, exception probably that whole Syfo Dias crap in AoTC.

While I don't agree with Tank on the prequels, he makes a great point in that the movie should speak for itself and not a book or something the director or producer tells you afterwards. The opening scene in ROTS is a big huh if you didn't see the first Clone Wars series.

In George Lucas's perfect world the Clone Wars cartoon would have aired in the three years between AOTC and ROTS. The story would have been told in real time not retrospectively. Still wouldn't have solved the problem for those not watching the cartoon. For those that did, people would have cried that Ahsoka wasn't in the movies.

While Syfo Dias was covered in the Clone Wars it just confirmed that an extra character was added for no reason. Just say Dooku ordered the clone army.

Unfortunately The Clone Wars got Anakin right. It wasn't really even entirely Lucas's fault. Matt Lanter just did a much better job portraying Anakin than Hayden did. In two movies Hayden went through four or five accents.

TCW always felt to me like something they created to correct the inconsistencies of the PT.

I think the ST could have something similar done, at least for the lead up to TFA. Maybe a CGI Filoni series based on Luke, Leia, and Han, with Ben Solo entering Luke's Jedi Order. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to get MH to reprise his role via voice acting. It IS what he does for a living. If Filoni involved, I am sure he could find a way to incorporate some TCW/Rebels characters in there, too.

Yeah gotcha - though why Anakin turned I think made sense. . .it was just one of those f**king stupid things.

Though actually on reflection, Padme's death is still the most senseless thing in the entire franchise.

I don't know about that. "I had some nightmares so I'm going to turn on my friends and murder kids"?

While I don't agree with Tank on the prequels, he makes a great point in that the movie should speak for itself and not a book or something the director or producer tells you afterwards. The opening scene in ROTS is a big huh if you didn't see the first Clone Wars series.

I agree that movies should stand alone without any ancillary material. I first heard that from James Cameron back in the 80's and have watched movies like that ever sense. What is odd about Cameron saying it is he said it to mean that sequels should work that way too. He said even if a movie is a sequel a person should be able to watch and understand it even if he has never seen the previous installments. There are quite a few great movies that wouldn't hold up to this standard.

I disagree that the opening to ROTS was confusing unless you watched the Clone Wars micro series. Everyone I knew at the time who saw ROTS never watched that series-my wife, friends, parents, etc. They knew what was happening because the opening crawl pretty much brought them up to speed:

In a stunning move, the fiendish droid leader, General Grievous, has swept into the Republic capital and kidnapped Chancellor Palpatine, leader of the Galactic Senate.

As the Separatist Droid Army attempts to flee the besieged capital with their valuable hostage, two Jedi Knights lead a desperate mission to rescue the captive Chancellor...

I don't know about that. "I had some nightmares so I'm going to turn on my friends and murder kids"?

He'd had visions of his mother in Episode II so it made sense when he had the same visions in Episode III he'd do anything to avoid it. Again, it was executed really poorly but it was still consistent with what had come before, particularly since Lucas established Anakin as a melodramatic whiny b*tch.

I disagree that the opening to ROTS was confusing unless you watched the Clone Wars micro series. Everyone I knew at the time who saw ROTS never watched that series-my wife, friends, parents, etc.

Yeah, I never really found the opening to ROTS confusing at all. In fact I'd still say it has the second best opening to a Star Wars movie after ANH. I like Tank's idea that they should have used the Clone Wars as a backdrop like they did for the Civil War but I wasn't unhappy with how they did it, and that was well before the series came out to "fill in the gaps".

Totally agree with Wader. The Prequels should have been totally different, that's a given, but as badly executed (scripted, performed, rendered, etc) as those movies were, the main story followed a more-or-less coherent arc. The ST less so. The ST is superior in all those other ways though, so it ends up looking and feeling like the superior product.

• 5 months later...

Ok, I think I got it. Trying out this gets me broadly similar results to the following order :

Star Wars (1977)
The Last Jedi (2017)
The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
Return of the Jedi (1983)
The Phantom Menace (1999)
Attack of the Clones (2002)
The Rise of Skywalker (2019)
The Clone Wars (2008)
Revenge of the Sith (2005)
The Force Awakens (2015)
Rogue One (2016)
Solo (2018)

Although maybe a better way to categorize 'em would be the following :

i8W3TAG.png

After the new car smell has faded off of TROS, I will amend:

1. ESB

2. ANH

* R1

3. ROTJ

* Mandalorian

4. TFA5. TLJ

*Solo

6. TROS

7. ROTS

8. TPM

9. AOTC

My final verdict: The OT remains the best. The PT is a bunch of good ideas, with terrible execution. The ST is the reverse, terrible ideas, amazing execution. R1 and Mando are fun additions to the universe that feel like true love letters, and Solo nears that, but is weighed down by the fact that it just wasn't a story anybody wanted.

I'll get alot of crap but:

1-The Last Jedi

2-The Empire Strikes Back

3-Star Wars

4-The Force Awakens

5-Rogue One

6-Revenge of the Sith

7-Return of the Jedi

8-Solo

9-Attack of the Clones

10-The Phantom Menace

11-The Rise of Skywalker

The Mandalorian I consider about the same level as Solo.

When it comes to sequels/prequels/sidequels, it never makes sense in my brain to like a derivative part of the group. Like, you couldn't love TLJ the way you do if the OT had set up what it did.

That said, my ratings were based on an overall grading of everything involved, if I were to rate them in terms of filmmaking, TLJ would def top the list.

I'll get alot of crap but:

1-The Last Jedi

2-The Empire Strikes Back

3-Star Wars

4-The Force Awakens

5-Rogue One

6-Revenge of the Sith

7-Return of the Jedi

8-Solo

9-Attack of the Clones

10-The Phantom Menace

11-The Rise of Skywalker

The Mandalorian I consider about the same level as Solo.

No crap from me because you hate TROS as much as I do.

When it comes to sequels/prequels/sidequels, it never makes sense in my brain to like a derivative part of the group. Like, you couldn't love TLJ the way you do if the OT had set up what it did.

That said, my ratings were based on an overall grading of everything involved, if I were to rate them in terms of filmmaking, TLJ would def top the list.

Without a doubt TLJ is standing on the shoulders of giants.

I feel like TLJ is my favourite sequel. But I never really got the full ESB experience --- I knew the big twist re : that movie

Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father!!!!111!!!

long before I'd ever even seen a Star War. ESB itself is kind of chock full of the same flaws present elsewhere in the franchise, ex. gr. bad writing (the opening crawl uses the same verb twice in the span of two sentences! the inciting incident for the whole movie is just a random Snow Creature attack!), shaky romantic plot, an emphasis on détournement rather than the ongoing elaboration of established elements.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I never really got to see the really good ESB that everyone else goes on about and that every time I do see ESB there's more and more I find to dislike about it. But I've only seen TLJ twice now and both times I was absolutely blown away by it, loved it, nigh-complete absorption in the <cough> <spit> 'movie magic'. I wasn't sure that'd ever happen again w/a Star War; even knowing how much I liked Rian Johnson's other films I kind of assumed going into it that I'd react to it the same way as I felt w/the previous two. I value that sensation of surprise pretty highly! Leaving myself open to the possibility in general is probably the only reason I still bother to seek out new art (if we can deign to, for the purposes of this sentence, call ancient cash-happy nerd franchises both 'new' and 'art') rather than just chewing over old favourites for the nth time.

I watched ROTS on D+ and oh boy was it bad...as in worse than AotC bad. The movie made no ****ing sense at all. I was probably on drugs when I made the list the first time. TFA drops below TPM for getting my for getting my hopes up so much. At least the PT paid off in the end. How the fuck did they fuck up Finn, possibly the most interesting character in TFA, so bad?

Darth Ender, on 19 Dec 2019 - 2:51 PM, said:

God Tier

1. ESB

2. ANH

Really, Really Good Tier

3. RotJ

4. TRoS

5. RoTS

---R1

Not too Bad Tier

6. TFA

Meh Tier

7. TPM

---Solo

What the **** Did I Just Watch Tier

8. AotC

9. TLJ

New list:

1. ESB

2. ANH

3. RotJ

4. RotS

*R1

5. TPM

6. TFA

7. TLJ

8. AotC

*Solo

9. RoS--

Hey!!!!!!!

I thought Zerrymar was banned? Maybe I'm thinking of that Poe fella.

Anyway, here's my stab:

1. EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

2. A New Hope

3. Return Of The Jedi

4. The Force Awakens

5. The Last Jedi

6. The Phantom Menace

7. Revenge Of The Sith

8. Attack Of The Clones

9. Rise Of Skywalker

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.