The "I've seen The Rise of Skywalker" Thread

Lucas1138

So much better. Still lots of dumb. But so much better.

I kinda agree but I think an excellent movie was possible from the ideas present in this script. Maybe not likely but it was a possible. There was no way Rise of Skywalker coulda been good.

Honestly if you get rid of the Tor Valum stuff and have Kylo learn that new power in some other way. Like some kind of Emperor holocron (which coulda been a better way to get McDiarmid in the movie) or like the dark side equivalent of the books Rey took from the island I think that woulda really smoothed out the script.

Its kinda funny I almost rented this on Itunes today. I figured Id pay the six bucks to watch it once and then just wait for Disney+. However as time went on I just didn't want to. I hate to be negative. Anyone on this board will tell you that I've always been relentlessly positive whee it comes to Star Wars. With this movie though there is almost nothing. I can't even really think of a scene or sequence that I want to watch. Not a single one.

TPM and AOTC would be my 2 least favorites prior to this but there was stuff I really liked in both movies. Obviously the lighsaber dual in TPM is great. I like some of the philosophy put forth by Qui Gon. AOTC I think the action is really good. The chase through Corsuscant is exciting. Then the whole 2nd half of the movie is exciting, flawed, but fast and exciting.

This movie there is just nothing I want to see again.

It's like a good music video, it looks pretty and slick, but it doesn't really make any sense. In fact, that might be the way to watch it, like Dark Side of the Moon and Wizard of Oz, I bet if you play Welcome to Wherever You Are while watching, it lines up perfectly.

• 2 weeks later...

Even with a movie I don't love I never thought I wouldn't buy it and want to rewatch it. I actually had the remote in my hand to purchase it and realized that I was only doing it out of "loyalty". Which is insane, its a movie franchise, not a person.

Well I mean, this is literally why I own Tank's movies...soo...

I finally watched this last night, btw. I've been pretty spoiled about all the major plot points and I've had to adjust to them. I enjoyed it nonetheless. My expectations for Star Wars peaked after TFA and they followed it up with R1. After that, I figured we'd reached a limit. So my TLJ and RoS expectations were fairly low. I do wish they'd come up with new ideas for a change, but I think we all knew they weren't going to. So whatever. I'm satisfied. It'll go into the marathon rotation (Solo does not get that honor).

• 3 weeks later...

So I finally saw it tonight thanks to Disney+. I had thought about buying it out of habit but the truth is I watch everything on streaming now anyway. I meant to see it in theaters but we have no reliable babysitter anymore.

It certainly wrapped everything up in a neat little package, didn't it? I did not enjoy the cloned Emperor storyline, it's been done to death. Ben couldn't live after everything he had done, there's no way people would've seen him as a monster. The kiss was kinda cringy, not a fan of that (also not a fan of Finn mooning over her, all these dudes lusting after Rey is just kind of creepy). In the end, it definitely felt like there was a lot of lip service to fans, but I liked it better than TFA and TLJ, which mostly just pissed me off with their woo look how dark we can be.

I'm sorry that the Skywalker saga is over, because I'm a character fan. Han, Luke, and Leia are some of my favorite characters ever, and having them all taken away one by one has been hard to watch, but I'm also furious at what this saga did to Luke. (Han and Leia both went out in character.) I did like Rey declaring herself a Skywalker at the end (because that's her family), but it also felt like fan lip service.

So I finally saw it tonight thanks to Disney+. I had thought about buying it out of habit but the truth is I watch everything on streaming now anyway. I meant to see it in theaters but we have no reliable babysitter anymore.

It certainly wrapped everything up in a neat little package, didn't it? I did not enjoy the cloned Emperor storyline, it's been done to death. Ben couldn't live after everything he had done, there's no way people would've seen him as a monster. The kiss was kinda cringy, not a fan of that (also not a fan of Finn mooning over her, all these dudes lusting after Rey is just kind of creepy). In the end, it definitely felt like there was a lot of lip service to fans, but I liked it better than TFA and TLJ, which mostly just pissed me off with their woo look how dark we can be.

I'm sorry that the Skywalker saga is over, because I'm a character fan. Han, Luke, and Leia are some of my favorite characters ever, and having them all taken away one by one has been hard to watch, but I'm also furious at what this saga did to Luke. (Han and Leia both went out in character.) I did like Rey declaring herself a Skywalker at the end (because that's her family), but it also felt like fan lip service.

I saw it at a midnight showing opening night. I saw it pop up on D+ and watched it last night. I liked it okay in the theaters; I didn't hate it like I did TLJ. When I re-watched it last night, I realized this is the first SW movie that had a completely incoherent plot. It went from middle of the pack to the worst SW movie...worse than AotC. I don't blame Abrams, Rian left him in a tight spot (I thought Luke was intriguing premise, but it should have been the films major subplot...but that would require, you know, planning), but going in and hearing they were going to connect the pieces I was sure they were going to go to Coruscant and turn back on the Jedi beacon from E3.

I wish Disney would have done something far removed from the Skywalker period. 10,000 years later or before. Even the Mandalorian, which is a solid B, people think is an A just because Disney put out something different.

What is the point or reason for Kylo putting the helmet back on?

I mean in TFA JJ seems to realize that he is a more compelling character without the helmet as he has it removed for most of his most important scenes near the climax. Then in TLJ Rian just continues that by having him destroy the helmet.

We get to TROS and Kylo is still sans helmet (which he smashed to pieces on a ship that was split in half by General Holdo) at the beginning when he meets the Emperor. The helmet is then reforged and Kylo is wearing it for the next segment of the movie. Its commented on a bit when Kylo says something to Hux about it and then Rey mentions it to Kylo. However when Kylo shows up to face Rey on the Death Star the helmet is gone, with no reason given.

Now I kinda supposed that the reason was to show that he had reverted to what he had been and was in a way regressing from when he killed Snoke and took control of The First Order. Which although not what I'd have done at least makes sense from a visual story telling perspective. However once again when he gets to his most important moments of the movie the helmet is gone, with no explanation for its removal.

I suppose some may say it was another walk back of TLJ with JJ basically saying "oh you want to destroy that helmet, screw you Im bringing it back." But really as I said earlier JJ knows the character is most compelling without the helmet. He has him remove it for all of his most important scenes in TFA and then again the helmet is gone for his most important scenes in TROS.

So I guess I'll finish where I started: why is that helmet back at all in The Rise of Skywalker?

Thinking about Kylo's helmet just makes my brain hurt thinking about all the wasted promise of this series.

Reforging the helmet was an obvious walk-back of TLJ I guess as fan service(?) I don't know if it was JJ personally or the studio, but of all the things to walk back, there's one nobody cared about. Maybe you like the helmet, maybe you don't. Maybe it made sense in the context of The Knights of Ren but we'll never know - they didn't actually follow that thread.

So yeah, what's the point of remaking the helmet? Him smashing it in anger was one of the only cool parts of TLJ anyway. Why walk back the best part of the movie? You can't have him wear it much, Adam Driver's a big star now. He can't wear the mask for the whole movie.

Just more stupid nonsense out of Episode 9.

• 2 weeks later...

I clicked on this movie on Disney+ last night. I had watched a couple of Clone Wars episodes and thought, "maybe I'll just watch a couple of scenes".

I couldn't really remember how it started so I watched the opening. A bunch of Kylo running around killing people to get a holocron. Okay. Thought I might jump to another scene. I mean, there was something else cool in this movie, right? I scanned and scanned and scanned some more and I could not find one single scene I wanted to watch a second time.

I dislike the prequels, but I can certainly watch numerous scenes from them. I didn't love TLJ, but there are parts I can watch repeatedly. This is a first for me.

• 4 weeks later...

Beating a dead horse at this point, but I finally watched it last week. I think it invented a new subgenre of bad. Everything about it is instantly forgettable. It's like watching tofu go by on a conveyor belt for two hours.

List of things I liked: ewok cameo, the Luke/Leia training flashback, the scene where Rey kind of couldn't do something totally well, some of the background imagery was pleasant.

The whole thing is embarrassingly risk-free. I'm honestly dumbfounded by how they learned nothing at all from the prequels. People don't act like normal people... almost every frame is cluttered with s***... too many nonsensical plot cul-de-sacs and roundabouts... everything looks too clean. But at least the prequels had some weird, headscratching decision-making to them which made dumping on them fun.

Disney really needs to stop. Sell the property or start letting passionate, lesser known filmmakers make direct-to-disney+ movies.

• 1 year later...

I watched this again this past week. I don't really know why, I went to Disney+ to watch old Simpsons episodes and just ended up watching this again. The last time I watched it was when it first came out on Disney+, so spring 2020 or so i guess. I saw it twice in theaters and then that time on Disney+. Which is kinda funny cause I usually see a Star Wars movie 3 times in teh first 5 days its released. LOL. 

Anyway it is more enjoyable than in my first viewings. I often told people on here who really disliked other movies like the PT or TLJ to just watch it for the Star Wars. Watch it for lightsaber duals and space chases and blaster fights. I tried to do that with this movie and although there are still moments that make you just shake your head, it was enjoyable due to that. Plus the characters I really like alot. If the PT had all the Star Wars stuff anda  story I like but with some somewhat forgetable characters then this movie has the Star Wars stuff and characters I like but with a poor story. Which overall makes it enjoyable.

Really though its not any of the big decisions the movie makes that get discussed that make it fall short. Its not Rey being a Palpatine or the Emperor being back or Kylo being redeemed. Its just the silliness of the entire scavenger hunt. I mean there is a dagger that is inscribed in a forbidden language that is cut into the shape of the Death Star wreckage and then also has this like attachment which then points to where the wayfinder is? So someone at some point post ROTJ went and found the wayfinder, decided to leave it there, went to shore and carved the dagger in the shape of the Death Star wreckage, created some attachment which points to the right spot and then carved on it which planet to go to? 

Really if they did all the big things I disagreed with which I mentione earlier and probably many times in this and other threads but didn;t have that ridiculous convuluted scavenger hunt the movie would be so much better.

Like I said though I did enjoy this more than before. But really liek I said I used to tell people to try to just enjoy it for the inherently Star Wars stuff I also used to tell people to not get so mad and just watch the movies they like. So now with 11 movies and tv shows and all of that going forward Im sure I'll take that advice from myself and eventhough I did enjoy it more than in the past I'll likely rarely if ever watch it and if I need a Star Wars fix Ill watch the stuff I do like. 

The thing is the dagger and way finder should have been the incomplete star map TFA ripped off from KOTOR.  I never completely bought that Luke would have left an incomplete star map and covered R2D2 with a tarp with the rest of it, when he just goes to a planet to hide from the universe and waits to die.   If you are going to wait to die and remove yourself from the universe, you don't want to ever be found.   You wouldn't leave a star map for that.  Made no sense at all.  However, I would have bought the star map concept for finding the way to Exegol.  At least that would have made more sense than a dagger. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.