The "I've seen The Rise of Skywalker" Thread

Lucas1138

JJ Abrams, Destroyer of Genre Franchises. The dude just does not give an eff about details, or established lore. I don't know if it is a case where he's a TV writer trying to be a movie writer/producer and just doesn't have the chops, or he is actively punking everyone. One thing is for sure, he sure can schmooze studio execs and trick them into $300+ million budgets, and knows how to make sure he gets paid. I think the only reason TFA is decent is Kasdan was involved.

I agree, as much as I HATE Rian Johnson and his nihilistic outlook and penchant for thumbing his nose at long time fans of the Star Wars franchise, I think it would have been better to have him do all three, if they had to choose between him and JJ. My preference would have been get someone else that knows what they are doing. I think the people involved with R1 would have been a better choice, personally.

In retrospect, I think the ST would have been better served by setting it far into the future where the main characters of the OT were already long gone, and we just got a force ghost Luke from the beginning, Kylo being just a distant descendant of either Luke or Leia, and flashbacks of Leia, Han and Lando. Chewie and the droids and the Falcon could still have even been used.

I was born in 1977 and I cannot even remember a time in my life where I wasn't a Star Wars fan. I didn't as much become a Star Wars fan as much as I just am one. I am the definition of a long time fan. Now I don't know if you personally feel Johnson thumbed his nose at you or if you are speaking for how you feel a different segment of fandom feels. However anyone feeling that way is just crazy. Johnson made the movie he wanted to make, end of story. He didn't thumb his nose at anyone. He may not have catered to certain aspects of fandom but he didn't thumb his nose.

I dislike TROS however I in no way feel like Abrams personally thumbed his nose at me. I didn't like the movie he made, I wish I had, but I didn't. For anyone to think that Johnson, Abrams or anyone else "thumbed" there nose at them is crazy and a huge problem with fandom. The idea that someone made a movie and it's somehow a personal affront to anyone or to any portion of the fanbase is just an awful way to look at it. It makes it seem like this segment of the fanbase feels like they are owed, like somehow they deserve to be catered to. That feeling among some fans is exactly what destroys something great like Star Wars.

Star Wars isn't just for those long time fans, just like The Force is not just for the Jedi. To think of it any other way is vanity. Can you feel that?

R1 had it's own share of problems. TLJ is the only Star Wars that was consistent from start to finish.

Rian's other films are great. I'm excited for Knives Out 2. That was worthy of Agatha Christie. And as I've said before, Brick is phenomenal. If that had been his only film, it would've been enough to earn him praise for an entire career.

I like the Mandalorian, its a pretty good show but nothing in it makes me at all want to see Favreu or Filoni take on larger roles than they currently have.

Funny that I always see these quotes about how much Filoni respected GL or 'would go to George if he was stuck'. When I watch TCW, I just see him showing George up. In a lot of ways fixing the things that were wrong with the PT.

When I watch Rebels, it reminds me of the fixed PT I wrote in my head, only set in a different era: A hot-headed teenage apprentice to a well-meaning, but flawed Jedi master. A solid supporting cast that doesn't have a gungan in it.

The temptation toward the darkside at the end of season 2/beginning of season 3 is so much more real and believable than what I watched in the PT. I always feel like Filoni is kind of sticking it to GL. He gets character development. He gets story. He gets Star Wars. Yeah I would love to see what he could do with a movie series.

Story is story-- saying he can't do a two hour live action movie because he directed/show-ran a cartoon is ridiculous. Hollywood agree with you, there's all sorts of crazy gate-keeping. Studios are scared by lane-changers.

Filoni is a writer, and he knows Star Wars, period. a 30 minute episode is a time constraint. So is 2.5 hours. If he can do one, he can do both.

And I wouldn't let the CW movie be a barometer-- that wasn't on him. That was the studio taking 3-4 independent episodes and crammed them together and pushed it out before people were fully even aware of what the Clone War series was.

Im not bashing Filoni. I like Mandalorian and Rebels. I mean Rebels does have like inter-dimensional space whales or whatever but it's still pretty good.

Mandalorian is a good show and it hit it's stride more as the season went on, but it's not a great show by any stretch. It wouldn't even be one of the 5 favorite shows that aired in 2019.

On a level playing field I agree Mandalorian is in the upper average echelon for me. But this last year had some seriously amazing shows like Euphoria, Watchman, Barry, Fleabag, Bojack, Sex Ed, Pen15, Glow, Mindhunter... it was a strong ass year.

That said, as far as Star Wars content goes, after the PT and ST, Mandalorian was a shining gem of Star Wars.

I feel about Mandalorian the same way I feel about Solo, its good and I enjoy but its inconsequential really. Mando is a good show and if Star Wars can put out content of that level regularly that is a good thing. It needs though to also have shows or movies that aim to be more than that.

Whereas I absolutely love The Force Awakens, Rogue One and The Last Jedi.

JJ Abrams, Destroyer of Genre Franchises. The dude just does not give an eff about details, or established lore. I don't know if it is a case where he's a TV writer trying to be a movie writer/producer and just doesn't have the chops, or he is actively punking everyone. One thing is for sure, he sure can schmooze studio execs and trick them into $300+ million budgets, and knows how to make sure he gets paid. I think the only reason TFA is decent is Kasdan was involved.

I agree, as much as I HATE Rian Johnson and his nihilistic outlook and penchant for thumbing his nose at long time fans of the Star Wars franchise, I think it would have been better to have him do all three, if they had to choose between him and JJ. My preference would have been get someone else that knows what they are doing. I think the people involved with R1 would have been a better choice, personally.

In retrospect, I think the ST would have been better served by setting it far into the future where the main characters of the OT were already long gone, and we just got a force ghost Luke from the beginning, Kylo being just a distant descendant of either Luke or Leia, and flashbacks of Leia, Han and Lando. Chewie and the droids and the Falcon could still have even been used.

I was born in 1977 and I cannot even remember a time in my life where I wasn't a Star Wars fan. I didn't as much become a Star Wars fan as much as I just am one. I am the definition of a long time fan. Now I don't know if you personally feel Johnson thumbed his nose at you or if you are speaking for how you feel a different segment of fandom feels. However anyone feeling that way is just crazy. Johnson made the movie he wanted to make, end of story. He didn't thumb his nose at anyone. He may not have catered to certain aspects of fandom but he didn't thumb his nose.

I dislike TROS however I in no way feel like Abrams personally thumbed his nose at me. I didn't like the movie he made, I wish I had, but I didn't. For anyone to think that Johnson, Abrams or anyone else "thumbed" there nose at them is crazy and a huge problem with fandom. The idea that someone made a movie and it's somehow a personal affront to anyone or to any portion of the fanbase is just an awful way to look at it. It makes it seem like this segment of the fanbase feels like they are owed, like somehow they deserve to be catered to. That feeling among some fans is exactly what destroys something great like Star Wars.

Star Wars isn't just for those long time fans, just like The Force is not just for the Jedi. To think of it any other way is vanity. Can you feel that?

Your Snoke theory sucks, Choc.

I never said anything about TLJ the film being a nose-thumbing statement. I'm talking about his juvenile posts on twitter and interviews, his actions, the way he has treated people, and how he has dismissed any criticism, constructive or otherwise, as invalid. As much criticism Lucas got for the PT, he never acted like that.

But RJ's handling of TLJ WAS pretty nihilistic.

I wonder if the High Republic novel/comic series is intended to lay the groundwork for the next trilogy. If that is the case, maybe it means they have learned something?

I think you're right, I don't know if it's for the next trilogy but I feel like they might be trying to set the groundwork for something at least. I'm excited as much as worried about it though. Setting it 200 years before the prequels feels like Disney/new LF are going to retcon something for the first time since it's explicitly said in TPM there hasn't been any real conflict since the foundation of the Republic. But at the same time, unless I'm overlooking something, it's an era we haven't seen explored in legends either. . .so fingers crossed.

Your Snoke theory sucks, Choc.

I never said anything about TLJ the film being a nose-thumbing statement. I'm talking about his juvenile posts on twitter and interviews, his actions, the way he has treated people, and how he has dismissed any criticism, constructive or otherwise, as invalid. As much criticism Lucas got for the PT, he never acted like that.

But RJ's handling of TLJ WAS pretty nihilistic.

I think it's pretty cool he interacted with fans at all on twitter. In fact I'd say just the fact that he responded at all is proof of not "thumbing his nose"

And my Snoke theory was right, I said pretty much the day after TFA comes out that we'd get little to no backstory on Snoke and he was there simply for Kylo to kill and take his place.

I wonder if the High Republic novel/comic series is intended to lay the groundwork for the next trilogy. If that is the case, maybe it means they have learned something?

I think you're right, I don't know if it's for the next trilogy but I feel like they might be trying to set the groundwork for something at least. I'm excited as much as worried about it though. Setting it 200 years before the prequels feels like Disney/new LF are going to retcon something for the first time since it's explicitly said in TPM there hasn't been any real conflict since the foundation of the Republic. But at the same time, unless I'm overlooking something, it's an era we haven't seen explored in legends either. . .so fingers crossed.

I think 200 years is a long time to play with, but then again, yoda would be like 600 or 700 years old, so I wouldn't be surprised if they pull him into the story at some point. That could be good, or bad. If they do a movie(s), you can almost bet they will.

To be fair, there only a few options. ;)

She was going to be a nobody, that The Force gifted (like Anakin), a Skywalker, a Kenobi, or a Palpatine. It's not like they were going to make her Plo Koon's granddaughter or Kanan and Hera's kid. They had to stay true to the OT mythos, and those were really the only options.

To be fair, there only a few options. ;)

She was going to be a nobody, that The Force gifted (like Anakin), a Skywalker, a Kenobi, or a Palpatine. It's not like they were going to make her Plo Koon's granddaughter or Kanan and Hera's kid. They had to stay true to the OT mythos, and those were really the only options.

Nah, I choose to believe that I am special :yes:

Even with a movie I don't love I never thought I wouldn't buy it and want to rewatch it. I actually had the remote in my hand to purchase it and realized that I was only doing it out of "loyalty". Which is insane, its a movie franchise, not a person. I realized that I'd at most watch it once or twice in the 4 or 5 months before it came to Disney+ and that it simply wasnt worth the money to do it. So Ill just wait for it on Disney+.

Has no one watched this at home yet since they released it on digital early?

It's not an easy watch. As much as I didn't like the way TLJ went, it's not a hard watch.

Not yet. But I have rewatched the OT, ROTS, and Rogue 1 on bluray. I typically don't stream movies I've seen in the theater often, because I am a physical media guy. If I like said movie, I get it on bluray. I usually reserve streaming for things I haven't seen, or brand new web tv shows.

Even with a movie I don't love I never thought I wouldn't buy it and want to rewatch it. I actually had the remote in my hand to purchase it and realized that I was only doing it out of "loyalty". Which is insane, its a movie franchise, not a person. I realized that I'd at most watch it once or twice in the 4 or 5 months before it came to Disney+ and that it simply wasnt worth the money to do it. So Ill just wait for it on Disney+.

I kinda feel like this. I only own the PT out of loyalty I suppose, and the fact I got the episode 1-6 bluray pack. I no longer feel the need to collect an entire film series anymore (I used to), so I don't own any of the ST on physical media at this time. I did have TFA but sold it. I don't have plans to own TROS or TLJ. I don't love any of the ST films, so I don't see a reason to rewatch them via stream or physical disc.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.