The "I've seen The Rise of Skywalker" Thread

Lucas1138

I actually agree with you about the space chase-- but I was mainly speaking to the majority of angry nerds angry that Luke wasn't a God :)

To be fair, there was like more than 20 years of novels that put him at demigod level. Literally a generation. So I can understand the anger. Not mine, necessarily, because if you go strictly by the movies, he is strong, but not all powerful with the force in the OT.

But that said, I would say he was pretty bad ass to astral project himself millions of light years away. Even Kylo and Rey had to have help from Snoke (AKA the Emperor) to force Skype. I think that indicates, to me at least, Luke was pretty damn powerful, but he chose the path of non-violence. Which makes him even more bad ass when you think about it.

Empire also has a scene where they go out onto an asteroid which has no atmosphere, in just oxygen masks but no space suits and this asteroid evidently has enough gravity where they are planted onto the asteroids surface. LOL

To be fair they were in the belly of a space worm.

OMG CHOC DO U EVEN STAR WAR

No lie, whenever I hear people talking about "gut biotics" I think of the space worm and his complicated disgestive system and how there's oxygen and mynocks and who knows what else.

The belly of a space worm that breathes? What? emptiness? Also eats what? the rare ship that passes by?

Obviously Im not putting down Empire but I do find it funny when people complain about realism in the new movies and stuff like this exists in the OT.

Obviously Im not putting down Empire but I do find it funny when people complain about realism in the new movies and stuff like this exists in the OT.

I also find it funny, but for different reasons. I think TLJ went too far into sci-fi realism, especially with the whole "we're running out of fuel" thing. The Falcon needing repairs was also a big part of ESB, so there's precedent for ship issues to exist, but I just felt like that particular issue was more Star Trek than Star Wars. I expected a Scottish actor to start screaming about dilithium crystals.

I also find it funny, but for different reasons. I think TLJ went too far into sci-fi realism, especially with the whole "we're running out of fuel" thing. The Falcon needing repairs was also a big part of ESB, so there's precedent for ship issues to exist, but I just felt like that particular issue was more Star Trek than Star Wars. I expected a Scottish actor to start screaming about dilithium crystals.

Not sure you are being fair here. The idea of ships as basically cars and car/hotrod culture and there being problems/issues with the ships is very, very prevalent throughout Star Wars.

You brought up Empire where tinkering/fixing the ship is a major plot point throughout the movie. In Star Wars we hear Han brag about the special modifications he made to the Falcon, as if it were a hot rod.

In TPM the ship being damaged and needing to be fixed is a major driving point in the plot. In AOTC we hear Anakin joke to Obi Wan about needing to find the right speeder with the right specifications.

In TFA the fact that the new owners did wrong modifications to the Falcon that need to be undone by Rey and Han is a plot point. It's significant in building the relationship between Han and Rey and also in showing Reys precociousness.

Lucas was huge into car culture when younger and a made a whole movie about it in American Graffiti. He took that some love of it and planted onto the ships in Star Wars. If TLJ had gotten overly technical, like you joked about dilithium crystals or whatever, then I'd agree. But a ship (or car) running out of gas is pretty basic and something that most people can relate to.

Our opinions are so different that it's a little hard to care if you disagree. I'm not saying that to be rude or dismissive, but there's just no common ground.

I think it was one of the most boring movies I've ever watched. I kept checking my watch to figure out how long I would be stuck in the theater. I was sitting in the middle of a crowded theater or I would have left during the movie, and since my main expectation in a movie is to entertain me, that's unacceptable.

It gets a bit slow in parts, Ill grant that, its not perfect but few movies are. However what it does well, it does incredibly well. And the 2nd half of the movie is without much doubt my favorite hour or so of any Star Wars movie.

I haven't even watched it and feel the same way. Overall, the ST has been extremely disappointing.

I really wish they had gotten someone other than JJ to launch things. I feel like having a stronger set up would've made things better.

Oddly, as much as I disliked TLJ, it would've been interesting to see what could've happened of Rian Johnson had done the entire trilogy.

JJ Abrams, Destroyer of Genre Franchises. The dude just does not give an eff about details, or established lore. I don't know if it is a case where he's a TV writer trying to be a movie writer/producer and just doesn't have the chops, or he is actively punking everyone. One thing is for sure, he sure can schmooze studio execs and trick them into $300+ million budgets, and knows how to make sure he gets paid. I think the only reason TFA is decent is Kasdan was involved.

I agree, as much as I HATE Rian Johnson and his nihilistic outlook and penchant for thumbing his nose at long time fans of the Star Wars franchise, I think it would have been better to have him do all three, if they had to choose between him and JJ. My preference would have been get someone else that knows what they are doing. I think the people involved with R1 would have been a better choice, personally.

In retrospect, I think the ST would have been better served by setting it far into the future where the main characters of the OT were already long gone, and we just got a force ghost Luke from the beginning, Kylo being just a distant descendant of either Luke or Leia, and flashbacks of Leia, Han and Lando. Chewie and the droids and the Falcon could still have even been used.

Your couldn't have done a new trilogy without Luke, Han, and Leia. I mean you could have, but it would have done half the box office.

The PT might have been about the Skywalkers, but it didn't feature the OT cast at all. And it did well financially. TCW and Rebels did well. Mandalorian is doing well. I guess we will find out when the next non-Skywalker film trilogy comes out. I wonder if the High Republic novel/comic series is intended to lay the groundwork for the next trilogy. If that is the case, maybe it means they have learned something?

I wonder with the novelization releasing almost three months after the movie represent, were there changes made to the novel to "explain" things.

I have no doubt in my mind at least, that there is some cleanup and damage control going on there.

I wonder with the novelization releasing almost three months after the movie represent, were there changes made to the novel to "explain" things.

Oh 100% Given all the quotes I've seen I think it turned into a damage control project for sure.

To be fair, the novelizations have always been that to some degree. The prequels would've been significantly better if they were closer to 5he novelizations, which actually explained what was happening.

To be fair, the novelizations have always been that to some degree. The prequels would've been significantly better if they were closer to 5he novelizations, which actually explained what was happening.

The prequel novelizations did explain things better than the movies did. They were also released a week before the theatrical release.

Yeah, they didn't need a six month lead, which in this case seems to be about avoiding spoilers.

That's been another miscue from Lucasfilm. Instead of avoiding spoilers, choose what you're spoiling. Give people some info and let them speculate. That's awesome cheap advertising. Heck, Lucas figured out a way to do it and get people to pay for it! Starting in 1999, that was part of the Star Wars experience until JJ got involved.

Of course JJ needs to keep things a secret because his movies hold up so poorly.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.