The "I've seen The Rise of Skywalker" Thread

Lucas1138

When screenwriting, even if you don't tell the audience key ideas or backstories or where things are going, you should know them yourself as the writer. JJ should know that-- but I don't know.

Again this is where I think he did have those Ideas and just never conveyed it to Rian - he did mention that when writing the movie with Kasdan they came up with some concepts of where it would go and like you say, you need to have some roadmap in your head as to where it would go but I just don't think it really went further than the both of them.

As for Arndt, were't his drafts based on the Lucas treatments? I might be wrong but didn't Lucas initially bring him in? I wonder if he just wanted to remain faithful to that and just could never make it work.

There's been different stories on what Arndt's direction was based on. Some say Lucas treatments, some say they round of unrestricted concept art Lucasfilm commissioned pre-script, some say a combo, some say he was adapting EU material, some say it was his own original pitch that after hearing a bunch, Kennedy liked most.

The only thing that we know is true, is that he wrote it pre-JJ Abrams, and when JJ came aboard he had a very different vision that Arndt couldn't seem to pull off.

JJ has strengths as a movie maker. He gets tone and feel right. He can create likeable characters. Even more important he can create a situation where characters become fast friends and we as the audience buy it. In these movies characters need to meet and the audience has to believe they like and are close friends with each very quickly, in a couple scenes alot of times. Its not easy to do. JJ is great at that. The reason TFA is so good is because JJ was able to use all his strengths without showing his weaknesses. I love TFA but its at the least a partial remake of Star Wars. JJ took the framework of the original story and then was able to sort of hang all of his strengths on top of that established framework and make something great.

Look at his other "Star" franchise. Star Trek also has a lot in common witih ANH, alot of similar story beats. So in that movie also JJ is able to use his strengths and hang them on an existing framework to make an entertaining movie.

People talk about whatJ JJ had planned but I don't think it matters. I don't think JJ would have been remotely capable of giving us a good, surprising story. Look at "Into Darknes" the big "surprise" was something every single fan guessed the moment they saw Cumberbatch was cast. JJ had to flat out lie about it. The revelation that he is Kahn is comical basically.

I feel the same woulda happened here, there woulda been some moment in VIII where we found out Rey was Lukes daughter and the whole audience woulda thought "yup, figured that."

JJ was uniquely suited to make TFA and Im thankful he was the person that made it. But I think that should have been his role in the sequels and thats basically it.

It just occurred to me that as out-of-left-field as all the Palpatine stuff in this movie was, it actually fits well with TLJ. Has anyone talked about this? I haven't seen anyone talk about this.

We all debated who Luke was referring to when he said he'd only seen power like Rey's once before and how it hadn't scared him enough then. Consensus was he was talking about Benlo, but it fits better that he's talking about Palpatine (pretty sure I said that at the time). And then his whole refusing to train her thing makes sense too in a new way.

Choc's gonna love this post.

I still don't think they had it planned out. But at least in this one small way it does line up.

It just occurred to me that as out-of-left-field as all the Palpatine stuff in this movie was, it actually fits well with TLJ. Has anyone talked about this? I haven't seen anyone talk about this.

We all debated who Luke was referring to when he said he'd only seen power like Rey's once before and how it hadn't scared him enough then. Consensus was he was talking about Benlo, but it fits better that he's talking about Palpatine (pretty sure I said that at the time). And then his whole refusing to train her thing makes sense too in a new way.

Choc's gonna love this post.

I still don't think they had it planned out. But at least in this one small way it does line up.

I thought Luke specifically mentioned Ben in that scene.

Holdo'd.

But... But... they said it was one in a million...

Or they just took the existing footage and did an easy comp onto a blue sky.

**** this movie.

It goes to doing something to appease critics (fanboys). Had they not addressed criticism with the one in a million line this would have been fine. The Resistance is in no position to sacrifice their ships(and possibly multiple lives) for the sake of taking out a few First Order ships. Kamikaze style sure which that shot might have been. The Resistance just don't have the numbers for that.

It's a re-Use of the Holdo manuever footage from TLJ. Literally the exact same shot recycled and comped in.

It's just funny they go out of their way to appease fanboys who hated it by saying it was "one in a million" but then recycle the footage.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS816US816&tbm=isch&q=holdo+maneuver+image&chips=q:holdo+maneuver,g_1:star+wars:oOSlx2KJzOc%3D&usg=AI4_-kSXjyCLegdOh9IRdIxPqndcFOkC9A&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjxpaLL_a7nAhXQqZ4KHdIrBIAQ4lYIKigA&biw=1366&bih=576&dpr=1

It's not that I don't believe you guys, and I definitely see a similarity, but I don't see it. Unless it is a different angle of the Holdo Maneuver they used, and I am looking at the wrong image?

My mistake, I thought it was one of the same shots. But it is for sure the same pre-composed assets-- just rendered feom another angle.

... but my point remains.

I can buy that for a $1. I was just making sure I wasn't missing something.

I mean in all seriousness why would there even be a garrison with a Star Destroyer on Endor? LOL

Totally no reason at all. Even the Death Star didn't land on the same Endor moon. It landed on Kef Bir.

As an aside, I always thought it was confusing, and dumb. You had the moon, named Endor. Then you had the gas giant planet it revolves around, also named Endor. Then you had the binary stars, named Endor I and Endor II. But the other 8 moons around the planet Endor had different names.

My mistake, I thought it was one of the same shots. But it is for sure the same pre-composed assets-- just rendered feom another angle.

... but my point remains.

I can buy that for a $1. I was just making sure I wasn't missing something.

I mean in all seriousness why would there even be a garrison with a Star Destroyer on Endor? LOL

Totally no reason at all. Even the Death Star didn't land on the same Endor moon. It landed on Kef Bir.

As an aside, I always thought it was confusing, and dumb. You had the moon, named Endor. Then you had the gas giant planet it revolves around, also named Endor. Then you had the binary stars, named Endor I and Endor II. But the other 8 moons around the planet Endor had different names.

Maybe in the break neck speed of TROS I missed this-- but the Death Star wreckage wasn't on Endor? Did they even mention it was at least in the Endor system? Or is this yet another example of JJ Abrams not understanding space and thinking that a Galaxy and a Solar system are the same thing?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.