The "I've seen The Rise of Skywalker" Thread

Lucas1138

It's funny-- I initially said I admired Jj restraining himself from showing all Jedi ever as force ghosts-- turns out he DID want to. The more I think about it, it might have been cool. Especially of Sam Jackson and Liam Neeson had cameos... I wonder which Obi-Wan they'd use... and did Freddie Prinze Jr and Ashley Ekstein get to play their animated counterparts? Cause that would have been cool to see.

On the idea of being negative or "getting over it". I don't think I'm coming across like some of the people did with TLJ. At least hope not. I have my issues with this movie but Im not angry. Im not saying "F JJ Abrams". Hell he gave me TFA which is a movie I love. I really am glad alot of people do like it more than TLJ (I may think they are insane but thats ok). When you had the people who hated TLJ I said more than once "there should be alot of Star Wars content coming, hopefully all fans at some point along the way get something they love." This isn't one I love and thats ok. What I do love is Star Wars overall and discussing it, both the parts of it I do love and the parts I don't. With this movie if there was someone here who was more down on it than me and saying negative things I didn't agree with I'd be defending the movie. In fact I'm kinda disappointed no one is really going against me. Some people may like the movie more than me but I haven't really had anyone really defend it. Ya know when I said how Rey being a Palpatine is terrible no one has really said "you are wrong, I think its great and here i why..." Thats why I'd love to have happen because either it would make me refine my arguments against it or perhaps even the person arguing with me would make a pervasive enough case to turn me around on it some.

In the end Odine said to get over it. The fact is there is nothing to get over. There are 11 Star Wars movies, this one isn't a personal favorite. Thats perfectly fine. All Im doing is coming here to talk or argue about Star Wars which is something I've been doing for 20 years.

Force ghost Jedi army was an early pet theory of mine. I didn't actually expect it, but part of me was really hoping for Freddie Prinze.

I thought there was a good chance of this and I felt the same way I do now. It woulda been a big swing that could either been flat out great or had truly missed. Using just the voices was more like swinging for a single. The whole concept of Rey trying to reach out to past Jedi is pretty cool though. Its one of the ideas of this movie I like. I wish it had gotten more time than just Rey saying it in the beginning and then having it come back at the end.

I was being glib, Choc. But also no one here is arguing with you or trying to counter your points, yet you are continuing to write a thesis to drive your point home..even though no one is trying to contradict it. Your point was succinctly made like 5 posts ago.

So I just got from seeing it a second time. The problems I had with the movies the first time are still there, but I enjoyed it a little more this time.

Something I spotted this time..... It sure looks like when they show star destroyers being taken In that montage that the one over Endor was Holdo'd.

Meh. Something I'll to see something twice, even if I didn't really like it, or rather specific parts of it.

Depends if I care about it enough to critique it, something which I don't think is possible after just one viewing for lots of things.

(still haven't seen TROS, might see it on Sunday)

Star Wars fans are addicts. Although I only went to see TLJ once and caught it streaming for free (or maybe a rental?) and I have no desire to see TROS until it's free.

For me I wanted to give the movie another shot. A shot that when something I didn't liek happened I wouldn't think "damn why did they do that" and instead just watched it for the fun, action, adventure, characters, comedy. Which is what I did on my 2nd viewing which changed the movie from being something I actively disliked to something I enjoyed but would still be pretty far down my list of Star Wars movies.

I love it how people (in general) will say they didn't really like it, find things they think are silly and yet go see the film two or even three times. That spins me out.

The last time I saw a Star Wars movie without any pre conceived bias was when I was 8 and my mother took me to see Return of the Jedi. I was never on the side of I hated it, but I was critical to a point to where I had a hard time enjoying it. I thought seeing it again was trying to be fair to it. Not to mention I didn't see it in Dolby Cinema the first time. It's out of the Dolby rooms here after tomorrow so I to giddy up.

Pretty much what Choc and Brando said - I’ll always give a Star Wars movie a second viewing at least so I can enjoy it a bit more after I’ve seen how they approach the story etc. But I also won’t do this for any other movie or franchise, just Star Wars because I’m an addict.

My screener showed up so I could watch this again rationally at home. It was worse for me the second time.

I don't know if I have ever seen a more expository movie. Every scene there was dialog that explained what they were doing in said scene, and what they had to do in the next one. And a lot of that dialog was off camera, which means it was ADR, which means in the edit they realized nothing made any sense.

Literally everything we see is followed by a line of dialog explaining what we see. This script is borderline PT levels of awful. There's even scenes that feel like they are game cut scenes like the PT. If it weren't for the production design, and the fact the cast is competent and likeable I don't know if this would be much better than TPM.

And even with that they don't explain the important stuff like how the Emperor is back or how a dagger would point right to the wayfinder when 1-the wreckage has been on water that is very very rough and would ahve certainly moved and 2-Rey just happens to be standing in the exact spot where the dagger would actually point it out. Or where the Emperor got the men, money and materials to build that fleet.

The only things that redeem this movie for me are that there are a number of good moments and the film generally builds toward an ending (I think... well, it ended anyway);

Daisy Ridley and Adam Driver always nail it onscreen (Driver nails it in all three, Daisy nails it in the two JJ ones, less so in TLJ. Also JJ seems to know how to make her look super hot and RJ made her look weird - call me a pig, but you know it's true);

JJ made C3PO great again.

The rest is a mess and everyone involved in it turning out that way should be ashamed.

Daisy Ridley and Adam Driver always nail it onscreen (Driver nails it in all three, Daisy nails it in the two JJ ones, less so in TLJ. Also JJ seems to know how to make her look super hot and RJ made her look weird - call me a pig, but you know it's true);

I read way back that they had Daisy look exactly as she did in TFA so they could intercut the scenes with Leia and it'd stay consistent. Guessing a couple of shots of the two of them were from those cuts scenes. But I actually thought she looked hotter in TLJ - her hair was nicer.

The only things that redeem this movie for me are that there are a number of good moments and the film generally builds toward an ending (I think... well, it ended anyway);

JJ made C3PO great again.

The rest is a mess and everyone involved in it turning out that way should be ashamed.

WHOA whoa whoa, when was C3PO Great? I wanted R2 goodness!

Oh come on:

"I suggest a new strategy R2: let the Wookiee win."

"Shutting up, sir"

"Listen to them R2, they're dying! Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

"How typical"

"Actually R2 has been known to make mistakes............from time to time."

"You know better than to trust a strange computer."

"Well, I can see you're serving drinks!"

My screener showed up so I could watch this again rationally at home. It was worse for me the second time.

I don't know if I have ever seen a more expository movie. Every scene there was dialog that explained what they were doing in said scene, and what they had to do in the next one. And a lot of that dialog was off camera, which means it was ADR, which means in the edit they realized nothing made any sense.

Literally everything we see is followed by a line of dialog explaining what we see. This script is borderline PT levels of awful. There's even scenes that feel like they are game cut scenes like the PT. If it weren't for the production design, and the fact the cast is competent and likeable I don't know if this would be much better than TPM.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.