The "I've seen The Rise of Skywalker" Thread

Lucas1138

Haven't seen it, but here's my take:

Palpatine's personal life was never a focus of the PT or OT, so I'm okay with him having a family that never got mentioned. Politicians have families that don't get mentioned unless they're needed for a photo op or some other humanizing thing.

The fleet is a major plot hole, but the whole idea that the Emperor did all of this stealth manipulation and then suddenly decides to announce that he's a Sith is as much of an issue as the fleet.

Haven't seen it, but here's my take:

Palpatine's personal life was never a focus of the PT or OT, so I'm okay with him having a family that never got mentioned. Politicians have families that don't get mentioned unless they're needed for a photo op or some other humanizing thing.

The fleet is a major plot hole, but the whole idea that the Emperor did all of this stealth manipulation and then suddenly decides to announce that he's a Sith is as much of an issue as the fleet.

How much the general population knew about Palpatine being a Sith or his Force powers at all is up for debate. In ANH Han doesn;t believe the Force even exists. An officer on the Death Star seems to think its not all that real either. Its possible the vast majority of people had no idea.

I had this argument at work today. My associate was sure that Rey was conceived naturally. I told him we saw Rey's mother and father. The father was the Palpatine of I remember correctly. He rambled on Abit the terrible theory that Palpatine created Anakin by immaculately impregnating Shmi. Why is it so hard to think that Palpatine didn't have relationships on Naboo. He was a relatively handsome man before he got fried.

People are either hooked on the clone thing or manipulating the Midichlorians to create life. A politician getting someone pregnant? Impossible I tell you!

But it is what happened in the movies lol

Is it? Palpatine possibly implies it if you want to look at it that way. But he was trying to sway Anakin to his side at the time and can;t be trusted anyway.

In fact at one point Lucas did have it be that Palpatine created Anakin but he took it out of the movie. Which to me makes it seem like he changed his mind and doesn't want it to be the case.

1-Saying he has the ability to create life doesnt mean he had to create Anakins life.

2-He also said he had the ability to keep those he loved from dying then later walked it back and said he didn't yet have that power. Ofcourse showing that Palpatine was lying to Anakin about what powers he had while he was manipulating him and trying to turn him.

Here is a question from this movie:

Palpatine says that all the Sith live in him and then says if Rey were to kill him that his spirit and the rest of the spirits of the Sith would flow into her. He also says that he didn't survive ROTJ but in fact did die and then came back through some kind of unnatural means.

My question would be that if he were killed in ROTJ then why didn't his spirit go into Vader? Or why didnt Dooku's go into Anakins?

There weren't canon Jurassic Park comics that said his grandkids were clones. There are canon Star Wars comics that show Palpatine creating something inside of Shmi.

On the idea that now this is done, yay... this is probably the lamest story they could have done on whole from TFA thru.

In this film everything except Ghost Han / Leia Training Flashback sucked hard. The opening crawl, btw, what the ever loving fuck was that horseshit? I would rather rewatch the Creepy Uncle Luke scene a million times in a row than ever watch this film trilogy again.

I am totally gonna cherry pick these films now, just like Star Trek movies. Star Wars is only the OT. I am on that train fully now. There are no episodes numbers. Its Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi... and the Holiday Special, so I can remind myself how Star Wars always kinda sucked so whats the big deal. But screw all this other EU like bullshit from the Prequels on.

BTW, I have been to Galaxys Edge (I am actually sorry for not hooking up yet again, Tank, its seriously not intentional, short visit yadda yadda). Anyway, that place sucks too. I was so annoyed when the LARPing cast members wouldnt give me a straight ****ing answer over where the god damn bathrooms were... Shut the hell up with the bright suns nonsense, I gotta wiz. Also the Falcon ride blows, my group had random morons piloting and they wouldnt do anything except just sit there. I was like, so I waited a ****ing hour so you idiots could just have us crash repeatedly, I said that in my head, of course, I was Mr Rogers in person. Tho in fairness maybe they were piloting the Falcon the same way everyone in this ST does. That said, I have seen a video of the Resistance ride, that does look cool. God dammit, Disney, I thought I was out. ;-)

Their biggest mistake with this movie was saying it was "the end". They were ending a story that had already successfully ended in ROTJ. Rather than looking a this trilogy as the ending of the overall saga they should have looked at it as it's own story connected to and supported by the existing trilogies. TFA and TLJ, for me, both do what they should do in this story. TFA gives us a very familiar story that allows us to focus on and like the new characters. Then TLJ blows alot of it up, which is exactly what it should do. This movie though is just too concerned with the saga as a whole and alot of that is because they decided it would be the end, when there is no real reason for that other than wanting to market it that way. The movie treats the OT far too preciously. The very end becomes not even really about Rey but about honoring Luke and Leia which is the wrong way to go.

They should have continued this story through this movie, not ending it. Sure as the last one in a trilogy there has to be some sort of conclusions to character arcs. They don't have to be absolute ends though. They could have just made IX and when asked about future movies say "our immediate plans are to concentrate on movies outside the main saga. 10 years from now? who knows, we cant see that far down the line. Maybe there was be X-XII, maybe not."

We've heard alot about how JJ had such a hard task of ending it all but he didn't have to have that task. He and Disney decided to take that on. They didn't have to.

It just goes back to lack of... preparation? Whatever the right word for it is. This movie worked for me, I enjoy all three in the sequel trilogy for different reasons. This has been a net positive experience! But it's also very clear it's been a clusterF from the get-go.

This movie is going to "bomb" its way to $550M and then hopefully we can see some wholesale changes at Lucasfilm. They've (mostly) succeeded in spite of themselves for the last 5 years. It's time for new direction.

They should have continued this story through this movie, not ending it. Sure as the last one in a trilogy there has to be some sort of conclusions to character arcs. They don't have to be absolute ends though. They could have just made IX and when asked about future movies say "our immediate plans are to concentrate on movies outside the main saga. 10 years from now? who knows, we cant see that far down the line. Maybe there was be X-XII, maybe not."

This film felt like three movies rammed into one. Spread all of them out and develop some of the ideas and it could have been a strong 10 - 12.

I need to see it again because I feel like I might have been too harsh on it but that's my key problem with it I think, for a movie that's meant to wrap all 9 movies JJ introduced way too many things in this that I want more answers for. I know Star Wars always leaves a little bit open for supplemental material to pick up on, but f**k even Lucas was more restrained than this.

Yeah-- that was never confirmed.

Him having a tube full of Snoke parts doesn't help though.

Were John Hammond's grandkids clones? They had dinos in glass tubes in JP2.

Lol. Seriously though that Palpy had a life on Naboo is an easier story to swallow.

Maisie Lockwood, granddaughter of Benjamin Lockwood and partner of John Hammond from Jurassic World 2, actually was a clone. :p

On the idea that now this is done, yay... this is probably the lamest story they could have done on whole from TFA thru.

In this film everything except Ghost Han / Leia Training Flashback sucked hard. The opening crawl, btw, what the ever loving **** was that horse****? I would rather rewatch the Creepy Uncle Luke scene a million times in a row than ever watch this film trilogy again.

I am totally gonna cherry pick these films now, just like Star Trek movies. Star Wars is only the OT. I am on that train fully now. There are no episodes numbers. Its Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi... and the Holiday Special, so I can remind myself how Star Wars always kinda sucked so whats the big deal. But screw all this other EU like bull**** from the Prequels on.

BTW, I have been to Galaxys Edge (I am actually sorry for not hooking up yet again, Tank, its seriously not intentional, short visit yadda yadda). Anyway, that place sucks too. I was so annoyed when the LARPing cast members wouldnt give me a straight ****ing answer over where the god damn bathrooms were... Shut the hell up with the bright suns nonsense, I gotta wiz. Also the Falcon ride blows, my group had random morons piloting and they wouldnt do anything except just sit there. I was like, so I waited a ****ing hour so you idiots could just have us crash repeatedly, I said that in my head, of course, I was Mr Rogers in person. Tho in fairness maybe they were piloting the Falcon the same way everyone in this ST does. That said, I have seen a video of the Resistance ride, that does look cool. God dammit, Disney, I thought I was out. ;-)

This rant just reminded me of the old crabby man who stands in his door screaming at all the neigborhood kids to get the hell of his yard. :lol:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.