The "I've seen The Rise of Skywalker" Thread

Lucas1138

Yeah, I agree with that last point Tank, but I think where else could they have gone? The trilogy was heading for Kylo / Ben redemption and so we needed a "big bad" that he and Rey could team up against, but just a huge disappointment they bumped off Snoke so easily in the previous film - bringing back Palps was too easy a choice for them rather than try to introduce someone new with all the resolution plot points needed in this final film, and invalidates what Luke and (eventually) Anakin achieve at the end of Jedi.

Only slight redeeming note was the inclusion of all the old Jedi voices - even those from the animated series - getting behind Rey, I did like that when it happened.

I was thinking the same as you about Kylo / Ben having to die when I was chatting to the wife after the film (too many bad deeds to just be forgiven by all, same as Vader), but later got to thinking that he came in his own tie-fighter, so they could have tried something different and have him meet her on Tatooine at the end after she had enjoyed the victory celebrations with the resistance, and then it kind of leaves it open to assume the Skywalker lineage could continue with them leading a quiet-ish life maybe (certainly him!), but not to be.

On a side note, I did think that when we saw Han, who he was so instrumental in Kylo turning back to the lightside, after he had thrown the lightsaber away and moved on, I thought we might see the image of Han change into Luke's ghost - thus making sense of the conversation happening (we only see Jedi coming back as ghosts) and kind of a bit of closure for Luke in turning his student back to the good side - with his sisters help of course. But no worries - it was just great to see Han back in there and for it to be such a surprise also!

Well that was certainly a Star War!

I'm a mixed bag of feelings about it. I'm not disappointed or let down, but I certainly did just see a bunch of bull**** as well.

What I liked:

+ the sense of finality/duality/full circle-ness. It really did feel like the culmination of nine movies coming together

+ the "in between" moments where characters come to life (like Poe and Finn gaming with Chewie) this movie was full of them, and that reminds me of the OT. TLJ was completely devoid of these moments for the most part

+ Rey's journey. I like Rey, I've never had a problem with her, or her power-- and now her power level makes sense. I missed a little of the optimism and sweetness she had in TFA and TLJ, but I think that was intentional.

+ Han's cameo. That wasn't spoiled for me, and it was sweet. I'll give JJ credit for not putting him in the ghost shot at the end, cause you know he wanted to.

+ Kylo Ren is still to me how Anakin should have been portrayed in the PT. His redemption was inevitable, we knew that from the start-- even if Rian Johnson tried to steer us away from it. Much like Vader, you couldn't let the character live when they've caused so much destruction and Death.

+ Loved how the band was together for most of the movie. TLJ suffered from keeping them apart the whole time. Having them together makes them better characters.

+ Finn made so much more sense in this movie than in TLJ. I always thought he was a fun character, giving him confidence, an inkling of the Force-- all good. I love his face when he sat in the gunner's chair-- he's ended up in that position clueless a few times before, seeing him sit down and pull on the gloves Han-style was great. Similarly, Poe was back on track after seeming like a different character in TLJ.

+ I am shocked I am saying this, but I like the new little droid. If BB-8 is a faithful golden retriever, D-0 is like a cat. He rolls up to Rey, she reaches out to pet him, and he pulls back. "No thank you."

+ 3P0-- my least favorite character of the OT, pretty much pointless and tacked on to the PT, and shrill and annoying in the ST, I finally felt like he was made good use of in this movie and was actually kind of fun.

What was just okay:

+ The scavenger hunt plot. Let's be honest, Star Wars plots are always pretty flimsy and hung on the framework of a chase. So it wasn't a shock, but it was also kind of low stakes for the finale movie.

+ Leia's inclusion. It was really clever to write around what lines they had for her to say, and she was integrated pretty seamlessly (albeit a bit stiff, but so was DeNiro in The Irishman's de-aging scenes and he's still living), but it never quite felt like she was actually to talking TO the people she was sharing the screen with. I mean, she wasn't, and they did the best they could, but it never felt 100% on for me. Though I did love that quick flashback image of OT era Luke and Leia training together. I want THAT movie.

+ Lando. Sorry-- he was too old, stiff and mumbly for me to really love. I think Donald Glover stole the part.

+ All the new characters-- just interesting enough to like, but not likeable enough to really get into. And it seemed like there was one too many of them I was supposed to care about. ANd not to be a dick, I know JJ puts Greg Gruenberg in all his movies, but how huge is he going to get and we're supposed to buy he can fit in an X-Wing cockpit... prob why he crashed... SON OF PORKINS.

+ New Force powers... I mean... I get why fanbabies won't like it. I don't mind too much. I've always said that people use what Luke could do as a benchmark, and the ST has set Rey up to more powerful from the start. New powers are fine, rediscovery of old powers is fine too. To be fair, every SW movie has added a power to what Jedi can do. It just seemed like in this movie they were all invented to help the plot in some way. Like they wrote themselves into a corner, and used a new power to get out of it.

What I didn't care for:

+ The pace. When my 14 year old, who lives on video games and youtube clips, leans over to me and says "Jeez, this thing is moving way too fast." You know there's a problem. Things moved so quickly in the first half that the dramatic moments never landed. Not 3 minutes in and we have Kylo facing a returned from the dead Palpatine-- that should have WEIGHT and importance-- and instead, it felt like a "previously on" edit. In fact, I'd say the first forty-five minutes of this moves was basically a "previously on" edit of the Episode 8 JJ Abrams would have made. Easily the first third of the movie is just putting the plot where he wanted it to be after TFA. Whether it was ego, fan service, or having a story too big for one movie, it was forced and it showed.

+ Speaking of course corrections-- look, pretty much every SW film other than ANH retcons what came before it... and I get why people didn't care for TLJ, but pretty much all of its bold choices were reversed-- Rey's lineage DOES matter, Luke DID make a mistake, Leia DID train to be a Jedi, Rey DIDN'T shut the door on Kylo, Rose DOESN'T love Finn, Kylo IS redeemable. Even little things like Ren's fixed helmet and the Holdo maneuver quip were basically bitchy little pokes at TLJ. Again-- either fan service or ego-- either way, they could have done better. The ONE thing people would have wanted retconned more than anything, was to see more Luke.

+ Knights of Ren and Snoke. So Snoke was set up as a leader and dark side user. The Knights of Ren were supposedly Kylo and the other former Jedi students he left Luke with. Apparently NO ONE in the galaxy had the same questions we did about Snoke and where he came from? Now Palpatine just says "I made Snoke" and we see Snoke clones in a jar. WTF does that even mean? And the Knights of Ren are what exactly? Clearly not force users... what sort of organization are they? What does Kylo have going on with them? How is he the master of them? It's like JJ was told, "you can't have the Emperor or the Sith. Luke beat them" and he said "Okay-- what if I just have them but call them something else?" That got the go ahead, but then this movie comes around and they decide-- "Ah to hell with it. Just do what you wanted to do." And now it's up to some book I'll never read to figure out. They should have just said the Crimson Guard in TLJ were the Knights of Ren. I would have bought that at least.

+ The lightsaber battles in those movie were lame. I recall both JJ and Rian said they preferred the methodical, dramatically charged lightsaber fights of the OT, and both of them seemed to make good on that. I guess JJ forgot-- because this movie had lightsaber action constantly and it was all jumpy/flippy and pointless save for when Rey stabs Kylo. So basically-- kind of like the PT.

+ Apparently Palpatine only ever has two plans-- get ultimate power, blow planets up. And If he just had a fleet of warships I might get that-- but legions of troops and officers? Where did all those jerks come from and why were the just standing around?

+ So Rose and Finn's romance was dropped? Sort of? But Finn loves Rey now? Or maybe he loves the other black ex-stormtrooper? This was all very weird and I didn't understand the point.

+ Maybe I am a nerd on this one-- but I felt like the art direction was really lacking. TLJ had such a striking and unified look to it, TROS seemed all over the place. I think more planets were visited in this one than any other film (other than maybe ROTS) and none of them really stuck out as unique.

+ I agree with Choc's EU statement. A lot of the elements of this movie-- Emperor resurrected, Sith daggers, special gadgets, everybody's badass backstory, etc. It all felt very much like an EU novel-- bogged down in arcane little details that take away from telling a big mythic story.

+ My last point, and it's pretty huge... from day one, I said the only thing the ST shouldn't do is invalidate Luke's victory. The Sith were defeated. I was okay with the dark side returning-- it does that. But to specifically bring Palpatine back basically says everything Luke did ultimately did not matter. I had hope-- the screenwriter even said they didn't want to invalidate what Luke did. I knew Palpatine was going to be in this, but I guess I thought maybe it was going to be his essence in a holocron, or some sort of fake transmissions to rally people.. anything other than actually being Palpatine

So at the end of the day, I feel the same way about this one as I did about TFA. I think it is fun, and it feels right, and I love the characters-- but ultimately it defies its own logic and comes of as fan-wanking one to many times, and under close scrutiny falls apart. It is at least watchable and fun, unlike the PT, but it still doesn't come close to the OT.

I liked it, but I would never try and debate somebody who doesn't, because their complaints are probably valid.

The thing is, is your wrong.

I REALLY liked this movie and makes me hate TLJ more the AotC. If this movie was split in two and fleshed out a bit more as in E 8 and 9, a lot of this stuff would have made sense. One of my main criticisms of TLJ is it left E9 in a weird place. You HAD to come up with a screwy E9 storyline. Johnson made that bed. Given that, Abrams did a great job. For example, one my other biggest issues with TLJ is how it treated Snoke. I mean, who was this guy? You just can't let this insanely powerful character be some random. Abrams did address it...could there have been some side story about him being Palps apprentice or whatever, but now your just smashing more into the plot. Abrams explained it in two seconds.

I'm going to need a good while to process this. This movie is a mess, but it still manages to be pretty good and be a decent finale in spite of itself.

I think it reminds me mostly of the second and third Hobbit movies. Peter Jackson was the best person to do those movies and certainly had all of the experience in the world to make them great, but he didn't have nearly as much time to do all of his homework and prepare for it like had with Lord of the Rings. I feel like that's pretty much what happened to J.J. Abrams here. He came in on this relatively late in the game after Colin Trevorrow left, just barely over two years before the movie was set to release.

That really shows, because the script is a mess. It really could have used another draft or two to not make the first half such a head-spinning rush of information and events. So many things blew through in the first few acts that I felt like I could barely breathe. For instance, those moments with Rey training should have had way more impact, but we rush through things like that at such a breakneck speed that it's difficult to really let them soak in at all.

It sort of feels like the second half of the movie did get that revised draft. Once Rey decides to go back to Luke's island planet, things finally slow down and become easier to keep up with. At that point, things start to wind themselves down and aren't necessarily just about chasing the next Macguffin down because of reasons. Then we can finally spend actual time understanding what the characters are thinking instead of just trying to keep up with them running from one planet and set piece to the next. It almost even becomes an entirely different movie at that point, at least one that's far better than the weird mashup of Abrams and Bay in the first half.

I don't have a problem with what happens in the movie like a lot of fanboys seem to. I think Kylo's story has a fitting end, I think Rey's lineage makes narrative sense, and I love the little strokes like Finn probably being a future Jedi. What they managed to do with Carrie is damn well near a miracle. You could tell they shaped the dialogue around what little footage they could use of her, but it worked well enough. Even though much of it is rushed, there are also a ton of fun moments in there with the characters ribbing each other or just having fun. You can tell JJ loves that part of the originals, and he's so good at making those little moments himself.

There was also a ton in the last act or two that worked really well. That payoff with Lando coming in with a fleet was awesome, the force trickery with Rey and Ben was great, and man is Adam Driver so ridiculously good. It's such a shame that we didn't get much more time with Ben instead of Kylo. Just his body language when he's fighting the Knights of Ren conveys so much. He's obviously his dad's kid when he's joking around and taunting them during that fight.

The one thing that should infuriate me but doesn't is Rey's moment where the film earns the title. In theory, I'd so badly want the ghosts of all of the Jedi to actually appear instead of just getting sent to voice mail. But realistically, I know that would have been way overkill and the Harry Potter comparisons would have been endless. I suppose it's just maddening that the one area where JJ showed some fanservice restraint is the one area that could have potentially been the best spot for it.

This movie came very close to being a disaster, but the last few acts managed to redeem it. I do hope Disney takes a lot of the critique of it to heart and improves from here with where they'll take things in the future.

So I went into the cinema with very low expectations, thanks to TLJ.

At first I thought, shit this is moving fast. Oh wow, he's meeting the emperor already?? Okayyy...and then I accepted the pacing of the film, got on board and loved every minute of it.

It was predictable and cheesy and immensely satisfying. Everyone was worried about JJ not being able to close something and OMG MYSTERY BOX...well that was a more satisfying ending than I dared hoped for.

And it had the FEEL of Star Wars, which to me is the most important part and something TLJ lacked in my view. JJ knows how to make a film that is on Brand. RJ wanted to make a film that was more unique to his own brand. I don't think the ST was the appropriate vehicle for RJ, and kind of wish JJ had done all three films, given the evidence. So for every complaint about this film course correcting, you can thank the position TLJ left us when it pretty much left every setup from TFA in the dirt.

As for the EU ness of this film. I like the EU. I played the shit out of KOTOR and KOTOR2. I love esoteric arcane Sith sorcery and holocrons. That IS star wars to me too. So I was all for the direction of this film. It had flashes of Revan and Bastilla and I liked that.

In the end, I feel like anyone's enjoyment out of this is defines by either how broad or narrow their definitions of what is legitimate in Star Wars. I grew up loving the games and the comics and the lore just as much as the OT.

In conclusion, I loved every minute and anyone who disagrees is a big adult baby poo face.

In the end, I feel like anyone's enjoyment out of this is defines by either how broad or narrow their definitions of what is legitimate in Star Wars. I grew up loving the games and the comics and the lore just as much as the OT.

I feel like this is open to a lot of interpretation.

Solo was full of things that screamed Star Wars, especially to a child of the 90's like me (seriously, Teras Kasi of all things), but it was not a good movie.

Going back to Tank and the Holdo maneuver line, I don't think it was a shot at TLJ. If anything it was a shot at the people who overthought the thing by saying why wasn't it done before. Why not do it every time? JJ pretty much said I'm going to squash this right now. We're not doing it again. It was cool when Johnson did it, but we're not going to redo that.

I feel like this is open to a lot of interpretation.

Solo was full of things that screamed Star Wars, especially to a child of the 90's like me (seriously, Teras Kasi of all things), but it was not a good movie.

I wasn't speaking to the quality of the film as a peice of art, rather to how much one gets enjoyment from it.

One note-

I thought Harrison did a better job in his 2 minute scene than he did in anything in TFA. I actually saw Han Solo in that scene, and with Adam playing Ben, it was actually kind of incredible.

In TFA it was HARRISON FORD, FAMOUS ACTOR, playing Han Solo and it just didn't work for me.

Usually I let the little things go. This time I dwelled on them more because this was the finale.

- Hux. I liked Hux from the beginning. The scene in TFA where he gives that speech before Starkiller Base fired on the Republic was great. In TLJ he was played for laughs, though the scene in Snoke's throne room led you to believe that he was going to turn on Ren. He did. Mind you not Agent Kalas style. Then he goes it looked a little bitch. :shrug:

- Chewie's death. When Rey brought down that transport my mind immediately went to oh shit! Wait was Chewie in the trailers in later scenes?!? Oh shit! That would have started with Rey the whole movie. It was a swerve though. I guess he had to live to finally get his medal.

- 3PO ummm death. You couldn't pull the trigger on Chewie fair enough. Have R2 restore his memory cheapened the " Taking one last look...at my friends" scene.

- Kylo's scar. If you didn't notice it was gone by the end of the movie. Did he finally put some Neosporin on it?

- Leia's death. For those that thought Luke's death was cheap. No. Leia's death was cheap and unfitting. How close was she to death. Was she supposed to just talk to him or was she part of him? Had to be part of since she died when Rey stabbed Ren.

- What was that that linked Rey and Kylo. In TLJ it was power enough to kill Rey and presumably Kylo. Was Palatine doing it? Wouldn't think so.

Usually I let the little things go. This time I dwelled on them more because this was the finale.

- Hux. I liked Hux from the beginning. The scene in TFA where he gives that speech before Starkiller Base fired on the Republic was great. In TLJ he was played for laughs, though the scene in Snoke's throne room led you to believe that he was going to turn on Ren. He did. Mind you not Agent Kalas style. Then he goes it looked a little bitch. :shrug:

I was also bummed he went out just like that.

- Chewie's death. When Rey brought down that transport my mind immediately went to oh ****! Wait was Chewie in the trailers in later scenes?!? Oh ****! That would have started with Rey the whole movie. It was a swerve though. I guess he had to live to finally get his medal.

- 3PO ummm death. You couldn't pull the trigger on Chewie fair enough. Have R2 restore his memory cheapened the " Taking one last look...at my friends" scene.

There were so many THEY'RE DEAD! .... JUST KIDDING! moments it was laughable. Okay-- there were three, but that's two too many.

- Kylo's scar. If you didn't notice it was gone by the end of the movie. Did he finally put some Neosporin on it?

It went away when Rey healed him.

- Leia's death. For those that thought Luke's death was cheap. No. Leia's death was cheap and unfitting. How close was she to death. Was she supposed to just talk to him or was she part of him? Had to be part of since she died when Rey stabbed Ren.

Hard agree. I mean, they had to work with what they had I guess. But she just muttered " I know what I have to do" then dies.

- What was that that linked Rey and Kylo. In TLJ it was power enough to kill Rey and presumably Kylo. Was Palatine doing it? Wouldn't think so.

Yeah-- Snoke said he connected them, but then Palpatine says he directed/made Snoke, but then he was surprised by the connection. Details falling between the cracks is what happens when retcon so cavalier.

I have seen Star The Rise of Skywalker Wars and I have liked Star The Rise of Skywalker Wars. Surprise! No one's more surprised than me!

- It's not a good movie by any means, and certainly not a good capstone to either its particular trilogy or the Star Wars Saga as a whole. But it is consistent in its quality (in a way that JJ's last outing w/the series just plain wasn't, that was just a good first act and a dynamite ending moment with a whole lotta messy nothing in between), it offers a lot of itself from the start and doesn't stop. It kind of does a little miniature Star Wars in the first few minutes (i.e. a Force-powered man of destiny goes on a quest to retrieve and implement a fabled artifact in order to face his evil father figure) then does another few little miniature Star Warses again in its next few minutes (i.e. our gang of heroes in their recognizable spaceship must go from planet to planet, outer spacescape to outerspacescape) and then just kind of never lets up. Watching this movie is like sitting at a bus stop and viewing an unending cavalcade of buses come by, all of them are your bus, they are very familiar buses, they're the ones you're supposed to get on and ride home, but not a one of them stops for you. You never get home. But the buses keep coming for two hours and twenty-two minutes and there is some small joy to be had in watching them whizz by, with speed and fury and purpose.

- My morning showing of the movie was just kinda ... cancelled? I showed up, sat in the theatre, waited for the movie to come on and was eventually told (along with the rest of the v. small crowd) to go and exchange my ticket at the box office for the next showing of the movie. I have no idea if I would have liked this movie less or more if I hadn't sat in a nearly-empty theatre staring at my phone for an hour before finally getting to see it but I'm sure it altered the viewing experience for me in a way that I wouldn't necessarily want to repeat. (Also, there was this mom w/her little toddler kid sitting in front of me @ the 10:40 showing, and every time a trailer began the little kid stared up at her mother from her lap and said very solemnly "This is the movie. It's starting." I was wondering what kind of parent would take such a small child to a seizure-inducing nightmare fuel carnival of explosive violence intended for a crossover audiences of tweens, teens, olds, and ghouls and my wonders ceased the moment the movie actually began and the mom turned to someone else sitting next to her and asked "is this a Frozen?" and then, after receiving her answer, immediately grabbed her kid and peaced out.)

- It's nearly my holy holy שבת so a little[1] of the usual R.CAllen stuff is going to have be put on hold for the weekend to pass, probably, at least. Maybe for longer, kinda want to see Terrence Malick do his Nazi movie and since I technically sat in a movie theatre for three and a half hours easy today I'm betting my insides can manage that'n so that'll probably be in the cards for the day after tomorrow. Am I going to watch this movie twice then before doing another shallow dive into it? Yeah, maybe, it doesn't quite short-circuit my critical faculties in the way The Last Jedi managed and it's not as bad as either The Force Awakens, Rogue One, or Solo is --- looks like I'm gonna be double dipping on this Star War before too long.

- wait, what happened to Rey's parents' ship? Was it left on the main big bad Star Destroyer when they got outta there in the Falcon? Does that mean it was destroyed when that ship got taken down by Finn and Finn's New Girlfriend? Where will BB-8's New Boyfriend live now? That's his home! Wait, did everyone get a New Friend for this flick? Poe did. Finn did, elbowing out his New Friend from the last flick (who is just wasted in this'n, why'd they even pay her to show up, she was like the best new element of The Last Jedi and now she's not much more than a glorified extra), does Dominic Monaghan count as a New Friend?

- JJ Abrams loves no man on the face of this planet more than his kindergarten buddy Greg Grunberg, those two are close, no question, he's got a role in pretty much everything he's ever done, and so he put him in this movie and KILLED HIM BEFORE OUR VERY EYES AND THE EYES OF THAT MAN'S OWN CHILDREN --- it's not quite as bloodcurdingly cold as Lucas putting his kid in Revenge of the Sith, letting him swing a lightsabre around and then have his own sweet boy be shot down by stormtroopers (what other directors have killed their sons on film? Rodriguez did it in Planet Terror) but it comes kinda close. What was the old Alec Guinness (? Or it might have been a critic?) line about there being absolutely no violence in Star Wars? I don't really believe that. There's plenty of violence! The violence can be sickening - we see a cute lil' cannibal pagan teddy bear die in Return of the Jedi (P.S. the cute lil' cannibal pagan teddy bears are back for this'n, v. glad to see them again, not a joke, not a sarcasm, I heartemoticon those cute lil' cannibal pagan teddy bears) and it's more heartbreaking than the deaths of Luke's surrogate parents.

- I'm just sitting here by myself, pleasantly imagining an audience of folks coming out of The Empire Strikes Back in 1980 or whenever it came out just absolutely sickened, disgusted, their tiny nerd baby brains shrivelling and melting! "How can Darth Vader be the guy who killed Luke's dad in the last flick and now be that very same dad in this flick?" they scream and shout. "How can the Force be telekinetic? We never see the Force do that telekinetic BS in the original movie - Darth Vader is clearly just convincing that evil Imperial that he's aspirating, that his windpipe is closed off, that's what's meant by the dialogue about how even the Death Star is less powerful than the Force, it's clearly a mental thing!" Then they walk out of Return of the Jedi in 1983 or whenever that one came out and just going into conniptions. "How can Darth Vader be redeemed? I saw him order dozens of home invasions of Wookiee Planet C with my own two eyes!" they hue and cry. And then those same people drag their weakened knees and creaking joints out of The Phantom Menace in 1999 or whenever that came out and they're just real mad about Padme being Amidala, filled with white hot hatred over Natalie Portman, and then they come out of Attack of the Clones in 2002 or whenever that came out and they can't stomach Anakin's dreams or Mace Windu's purple lightsabre, and then Revenge of the Sith in 2005 and the very notion of Palpatine being Anakin's midichlorioprogenitor is anathema to them, by the time their wizened graying bodies exit the theatre showing The Force Awakens in 2015 they're just livid over Old Han Solo and incomprehensible reptar wrangling and a dumb farcical repeat of the Death Star battle and a badly staged final lightsabre combat involving two non-Forceusers (oh, wait, these imagined folks are starting to resemble me, uh oh, better cut this line of thinking short); anyway, it's nice to imagine people!

- wait, is the little triangle of evil, there were two of them, is it still around? Is it still hooked up to Luke's X-Wing? Do these things matter or don't they matter? This whole movie is just an unending sequence of little totems, little fetishes, little tchotchkes being bandied about. Two pyramids (are they Holocrons? They're kind of triangular section of Holocrons), the lil' Casablanca letters-of-passage disc, the knife (it's important for me to convey here that I am pronouncing that word 'knife' with a real hard K), Luke's sabre (but for some reason NOT his green one?), Leia's sabre, I'm probably forgetting one or two things here or mentally dismissing somethings or someones that should count even though they should be listed alongside them. And the movie takes time and effort into the correct disposition of these thingmabobs, the whole end of the movie is about lovingly burying two of those thingmabobs, why you gotta let one of those thingmabobs lying around? Ren crushes one of the triangles, why doesn't Rey crush (or toss away) that other triangle!?

- There was a bit w/o the music where I missed the music lots and lots, when they were a'fighting in the spray on top of the Death Star. Why you gonna do a Star War and spare the horses music? (I did like those horses a lot!) And if the usual scene transitions were around, well, I didn't notice them. Were they absent or used minimally as a deliberate choice? I suppose so!

- REY & BEN & LEIA CAN'T KILL THE EMPEROR! THE EMPEROR WAS KILLED BY A STEAMPUNK ROBOT-REFUGEE JEDI WITHOUT LEGS NAMED EMPATAYJOS (SP?) BRAND ON A PLANET IN THE MIDDLE OF AN OORT CLOUD IN A COMIC BOOK I READ IN THE PREVIOUS CENTURY!

[1] ] or maybe a lot, just did a quick re-read and didn't address half of what I wanted to talk about, what the holy hell was going on w/how they were using Carrie Fischer in this'n for instance, and did I miss a movie or did half of everything this movie was talking about take place in the interim between TFA2 and TFA3

Here's how texts I got from a friend went.

So Rey can use a power that Baby Yoda used? I'm out!

Hey you know who could do that as well? ET. ET exists in the Star Wars universe.

Ifso facto does Paul exist in the State Wars universe? Rey should have eaten Kylo after she revived him.

I just got back from seeing this. Its still too fresh and I need to let it sink in for a while, but for the most part I feel pretty let down. Here are my top three nit-picks. I haven't read all the posts yet (I'm working on it), so these may have been addressed already.

1) This film seems to take place in a completely different universe than TLJ. They're that inconsistent. Its clear that Johnson was telling a completely different story than Abrams. First, there are Rey's powers. Johnson had us believe that she was a nobody who was becoming stronger and stronger in the force in order to keep balance. Rey's force strenght had to balance Kylo's dark side. Now we're being told that she's so powerful because she's Palpatine's grandaughter. Those are two completely different explanations. That really bugged me. And then there is the issue of Rey's parents. In one film they sold her for drinking money and in another they hid her to protect her? So which is it? And then there is the issue of Kylo's redemption. I thought TLJ closed the book on that. What I took away from that film was that Kylo was beyond redemption, and I was completely sold on that. I guess not though. I know Abrams said that TLJ didn't derail the story he was trying to tell, but so much of this movie felt like back-peddling in an effort to put things back on track.

2) "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny."

It was unprecedented when Anakin returned from the dark side, so we can't blame Yoda for being wrong, but now its happened again. It kinda makes Yoda look like he doesn't know that much after all. Vader's turn was significant because it was supposedly something that couldn't be done, but I guess it doesn't take that much to come back from the dark side after all? I guess anyone can do it?

3) So Rey can use the force to heal people with her hands? She healed Kylo from his lightsaber wound and stopped him from dying. And did Rey literally die at the end of the film and Kylo brought her back the same way? So I guess Jedi can use the force to cheat death after all? Its a shame no one told Anakin that in ROTS.

I said this after TFA and TLJ. John Williams does very little that is memorable in this series. Why is it that JJ and Rian Johnson not ask for something......more? Got the most part it's Rey's theme and The Ach-To theme.

I'm with you. Sitting here I can only think of one piece from the ST music and it is Rey's theme.

I really feel like you guys are crazy!

Rey's Theme

Jedi Steps

Scherzo for X-Wings (admittedly not completely original)

March of the Resistance

The Spark

I think all those are great fun and very Star Warsy. How much new groundbreaking material do you want in the 7th-9th movies of a series that reuses a ton of stuff on a movie by movie basis anyway?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.