Operating systems

We've been a three OS family for a while (4 if you include iOS devices), I've had a Windows laptop, a Linux (Ubuntu and then Linux Mint) home server, and a Mac laptop for my wife.

I mainly held on to Windows for an old version of Adobe Premiere Pro, and then I found OpenShot for Linux which is basically an open source version of Premiere Pro, so I made the plunge and switched over on my laptop.

It's like getting a whole new computer. It's insanely fast compared to Windows (WAY less bloating). It's easier to break stuff, but also way easier to fix stuff. At least for a power user, and I've been running a media/web/document server for 10 years, and I love to mess with stuff so I qualify.

I also love the amount of open source software available, and the ease of managing it. I can do so much through the command line (what people think of as DOS) which makes it run even faster.

I'm such a geek, and I'm okay with that.

Windows 10 has nothing on Linux Mint on SSD. Mainly because Windows is full of bloatware to keep it running software from the 90s. In Linux, you have more options to customize.

I haven't found a real comparison to Photoshop yet. GIMP is okay, but really is missing or hard to find some basic functionality. It took me forever to crop a photo.

Pretty much a Window's user here. Both jobs use Windows, my home computer is a desktop and came loaded with Windows 10. I HATE HATE HATE buying a yearly license to use Word/Excel/Powerpoint though so I'm considering changing that. Use a iPhone so there is that. Used to have a Samsung tablet. My work computers suck ass with a straw. But mostly because we work on thinclients linked to servers there now for cheapness.

Now about browsers. I love Chrome but it's super intrusive.

Chrome is a resource hog. It's nasty

I use Opera

I downloaded an app to permanently hide the taskbar in Windows 10. Since then, whenever I open Chrome, I get non-stop news pop-ups from bogus websites. I deleted the app, but I still can't stop the pop-ups. I switched to Explorer. Since I was forced to switch, I realize I actually prefer Explorer to Chrome. This whole story makes me feel old.

OMG I hate Edge and Explorer. We use Explorer at work a bit but I just hate it's lay out. Microsoft also sabotages Chrome users on their operating system to drive them to go to Edge. I am old and change is hard. I have learned Chrome and if it want's to steal information about my cats and pathetic home life I am good with that. Honestly my gmail address is used for signing up for spam type things anyways.

Oddly at my second job I get emails from people who still have @aol.com addy's.

Opera is pretty sweet. Has an in built VPN and Ad blocker, and you can allocate how much RAM you're willing to let it use. Great for multi tasking. And switching from any other browser is fine you just hit a button to import all your data from the old browser into opera. History, bookmarks, passwords etc.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.