Wonder Woman 1984

Ms. Spam

I was late for the party with the first one and found it didn't live up to the hype. Setting low expectations for this one and hopefully it will exceed them.

Exactly, Krawlie. EXACTLY. More Blue Monday. It was great to not have a WHAM or Duran Duran song and instead we get Blue Monday. Wonder Woman was the best of the new version of the DCU that was offered. I just rewatched the Justice League and Batman vs Superman. Not so good.

I’m hoping he’s real. I think that would actually be a better swerve than it not being real, because I think everyone will suspect it. At least everyone who talks about such things on the internet.

Remember when nostalgia in pop culture was always looking at 25 years(ish) back? Since we hit the 80s nostalgia wave in the early 2000s it just stuck. Next month the 80s are 40 years go. That breaks my brain.

But I also think nostalgia is ever-present now.

Oh, also, I will see this movie. I still haven't even seen Justice League.

I liked parts of the first one, but usual third act problems etc.

My biggest anxiety about this one is them recreating a caricature of the 80s instead of something accurate.

Similar to some complaints about Stranger Things. Any film set in the past can work if the filmmakers understand that a trip down memory lane (e.g. too many pop culture references and/or hyping the "importance" of things that real people in the 80s could take or leave) may not be appealing to everyone.

Personally, i'm not too concerned about this sequel battering the audience with stuff such as Rubix's Cubes, Michael Jackson, the San Fernando Valley culture, A-ha and Reagan.

• 5 months later...

Yeah, sad face. I have a feeling though if they released it on Memorial Day weekend it would have been full of mask wearing nerds sitting in crowded theaters with only the germaphobes staying home. It was insanity in public places this weekend as people were EVERYWHERE-at graduations, parks, beaches, lakes, parks, restaurants. I really am starting to miss movies.

• 5 months later...

AT&T appears to have given up on using its stable of universally recognized intellectual properties to make for real money one dollar at a time. What are they doing instead? Desperately trying to survive & thrive in the imminent post-apocalyptic media future wherein consumers are maybe subscribed to one or two feedbags/firehoses of 'content' and that's about it. That's what this is, that's what shovelling tens of millions of dollars into Zack Snyder's open mouth is, that's what the stuff going down at Detective Comics Comics seems to be for. Just a complete abdication of any kind of standard 'buy a bag of flour for a dollar and sell it for a mark-up' Richard Scarry understanding of business in favour of something that seems more like a scam than anything else. Maybe it is a scam? Maybe it's even securities fraud, maybe it's a lie to investors, I suppose when you're $168.96 billion dollars in debt you have no choice but to look other people in the eye and say something like, "Very very soon most homes in western educated industrialized rich democratic societies will probably be paying for one or two of the following. They'll be paying for Netflix, they'll be paying for Amazon Prime, they'll be paying for us. We are going to be one among a very select few competitors in this marketplace. At this juncture doing anything that doesn't permanently latch ourselves onto a consumer is a waste of our time and money. We do not want anyone to buy our products. We want them to be permanently contracted to us forever in perpetuity." Is it true? Is it false? Will it work? I have no clue.

I just wish they'd go all the way with it and insist that the movie will not be playing in movie theatres in countries still in the full throes of the pandemic. I get it, all the data we have so far suggests that movie theatres aren't high-risk. I understand! It's still a low-to-moderate risk! Enough of those stacked up on top of each other equals death! Save a life or two, why not!!!!????

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.