Netflix’s Locke & Key

Iceheart

Carlton Cuse is the show runner, apparently, and while I would be a little nervous considering Lost got, uh, lost a few seasons in, but he has very popular source material to work with, and Lost was pretty great those first few seasons, so I am actually quite excite about this!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I always pronounced it "boad" in my head because "BODE" is a preexisting one-syllable word and "BODIE" is pronounced "boh-dee". The closed-captioning insists it's still spelled "BODE", so my pet theory is his entire family started pronouncing it wrong years ago on purpose just to get under his skin, and he got tired of correcting them all by age 5.

I kinda multitasked while watching the first few episodes, but eventually it picked up steam and held my focus, especially episode 9, which ratcheted up the tension quite nicely in time for the oddly simple climax. Aiming the show at teens and toning it down to TV-14 seemed like weird choices at first, but in hindsight it feels like a better fit. Gabe Roridguez' art was amazing, but the atrocities inflicted upon his Margaret Keane-eyed subjects could be extra jarring at times, bordering on just plain mean. One reviewer complained the show was "more spooky than scary". but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

All the casting was absolutely spot-on. I'm surprised Uncle Duncan's role was minimized. I laughed at the cameos in episode 2 and 10.

I've forgotten some details about the original comics over the years since I collected them, but while I saw one aspect of the ending coming, they caught me off-guard going a few steps beyond that. Reviews seem mixed enough that I have no idea whether a second season is likely, but I'd be fine with it happening. The show reminded me how much I liked the Lockes.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.