Happy Thanksgiving, Americans!

Iceheart

And a Happy Thursday to the rest of you!

My aunt, who is close to nobody in the family as she lives in California and is an unpleasant person in general, decided that this year she was going to rent a house in Michigan and get all her siblings and their families together for Thanksgiving. Okay. I have been morbidly curious about this whole thing.

Anyway, my dad gets a call at 9pm. My uncle has a viral lung infection. My uncle is still planning on hosting this whole endeavor (he has the biggest house). But just so we know hes actively displaying symptoms.

Oh Hell No. I have a compromised immune system. I just had a bad flu last week. I cant be sick over the holidays.

Youd think this would mean Chinese take-out, except my mom cooked a full second Thanksgiving meal yesterday because she wanted leftovers. So, its business as usual for us, we have never once in my life done Thanksgiving dinner with that side of the family.

Hows your day going so far?

I've made three pies: Cherry, a pecan and a spiced rum apple pie with homemade crusts. The Cherry turned out best. I forgot to cover the top of the pecan pie towards the end so some pecans are a little black and the Apple pie needed an egg wash and I got lazy crimping the edges but it should taste awesome. Also making noshing food because some of my relatives are not good at managing time so basically they say "come and we'll eat at 1" and that means maybe you'll be served after Dallas loses to Detroit so for the hungry I have made a bacon Parmesan hot dip to serve with Parmesan pita chips and have some cream cheese and jalapeno jelly with crackers and a bunch of good vegetables with ranch dip to eat.

Also they are teatotalers so I'm totally going to bring a cooler of secret beer and rum and vodka with mixers.

Been watching the parade before I go over.

Then later all the leftover pie moves to friendsgiving.

I was going to have dinner with my family (which for me locally is the former Mrs. Tank, her husband, and our son) as per usual, but I have been thinking back on some great friendsgivings.

My new special lady friend was bummed that her kid was with his dad this year, so We decided to do datesgiving. She's coming over and we're cooking a small turkey and few other things.

I was going to have dinner with my family (which for me locally is the former Mrs. Tank, her husband, and our son) as per usual, but I have been thinking back on some great friendsgivings.

My new special lady friend was bummed that her kid was with his dad this year, so We decided to do datesgiving. She's coming over and we're cooking a small turkey and few other things.

Wow, things seem to be going amazingly well. But we already know that you’re quite the catch.

We’re hosting for the first time, but things have been remarkably low-key so far. My wife hasn’t been super stressed even though I can’t do much to help. I helped a little in the kitchen, went through some clutter and threw out a bunch of papers that she keeps piling up because maybe she’ll need them someday, and a pile of things that she keeps piling up trusting me to deal with them and I’m just lazy and don’t do it.

Other than that, I watched the Macy’s parade with the kids, ate three of my six “meals” for the day (1 oz of cheese and 5 Ritz crackers isn’t much of a meal). The guests are supposed to be here around 2 (in about 20 minutes) with dinner at 4. It’s fairly small, we’re hosting my wife’s family but her brother always goes to Florida, so it’s just us, my mother-in-law, my brother-in-law, my sister-in-law and her former lesbian, now male, partner.

We’re also hosting Christmas for my family this year, so hopefully that goes as smoothly as this is going.

You really think Detroit will win, Spam? Were always prepared to watch the Lions lose when gameday rolls around.

Thanksgiving and the Super Bowl are the only two times I watch football. Today is because my brother insists on it.

Saturday is the Ohio State-Michigan game, which will probably be the only game I watch this year. In Columbus, that’s way bigger than the Super Bowl.

This is our first Thanksgiving by ourselves since we had kids. My husband still got a 10-lb turkey and made a full (but smaller) meal. I usually make the dressing, but this year he took care of it (but he forgot the egg that I usually add). Mostly we've been hanging out and watching tv, got out the floor piano and some DDR-like pad for the kids to play with. Pretty low-key day. I went to Orangetheory for the last time and went out on a somewhat low note (my least favorite coach, obnoxious partner workout that required calculus to figure out) so that makes the transition a little easier to swallow.

For the rest of the weekend I'm going to buy life insurance, set up a 529 for our oldest, and maybe do some science experiments with the kids. Oh, and watch the Mandalorian. I've been watching some online deals but I've already decided what I'm getting everyone for Christmas so just waiting to see if it goes on sale.

You really think Detroit will win, Spam? Were always prepared to watch the Lions lose when gameday rolls around.

Thanksgiving and the Super Bowl are the only two times I watch football. Today is because my brother insists on it.

HAHAHA! I forgot that Dallas was playing Buffalo. But I was correct that Dallas would lose. I am secretly in love with Matt Patricia of the Detroit Lions but I missed that game as we went out to eat for first Thanksgiving. ( And I was also correct about my Mom's house. Thank god I didn't go to Tucson for Thanksgiving. My brother didn't serve until 9 PM at night and when I called at 5 PM to wish them a happy thanksgiving all I heard was my sister screaming at my brother to make her a SNACK).

Living in Columbus, the home of Ohio State, you dont have a choice. I assume Ann Arbor is similar.

Oh, yeah. I grew up knowing how to yell Oh How I Hate Ohio State. But my parents went to MSU, neither follow football, and East Michigan and West Michigan might as well be two different states, so Ive never been that into the rivalry. My side of the state goes way more bonkers for the UofM/MSU game every year.

Spam, lol, its a Great Lakes team, theyre all the same, right? Detroit looked like they were going to pull it off for most of the game until the Bears rallied. And no one is surprised.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.