OK Boomer

Iceheart

Is anyone else having a good time watching people flip out about this?

Especially considering Millennials have been called snowflakes and very publicly accused of all manner of atrocities for the past 10 years, and have done nothing but write imploring counter articles on Medium, that then get torn to shreds by boomers with zero real consideration whatsoever.

So, Gen Z, not Millennials, come up with their own way to respond to the stuff they grew up seeing and hearing boomers say about young people (not to mention, you know, how boomers grossly mishandled society), that doesnt sound at all like something a Millennial would say, and the boomers proceed to 1. Get ALL KINDS of butthurt, and 2. Blame Millennials for something they didnt do. Again.

Id ask if they realize how ridiculous and incredibly hypocritical they sound, but its clear they have no idea.

As a proud member of Gen-X, the generation that embraced being slackers, the whole thing is a little funny. I would prefer to see bridges instead of increasing gaps, but I also think that the older generation needs to do that first, and boomers have engaged in a scorched earth mentality. As a whole, anyone who isn’t exactly like them is wrong and evil. Everyone is like that to some degree, and Millennials on Twitter are horrible about it, but boomers have nobody but themselves to blame.

I don’t have a problem with labeling generations, especially in the modern era where generational change is extreme. I remember being a senior in high school and being aware of the generational change between me and the freshmen. It allows us to have a short hand way of describing shared experiences. Of course there are going to be people who use it as a weapon (looking at you, every article ever written about Millenials), but I think that Gen X actually did a better job of dealing with labels than the generations that sandwich us. We got in before the Boomers got old and angry and before Silicon Valley destroyed the economy by turning careers into freelance gigs. So we got lucky, but we also played along with and embraced the stereotypes instead of getting angry about them. Our response to being told not to eat avocado toast would’ve been to laugh and make movies about lazy kids eating avocado toast.

I know I’m turning into the old guy who thinks his generation was the best, but that’s not actually what I’m saying. My bigger point is that we had a combination of luck and humor that carried us through, in addition with a lot of us being children of the boomers, and so they weren’t as quick to hate us. But one thing that everyone needs to do is be willing to laugh at themselves.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.