Public impeachment hearings!

Ms. Spam

Listening at work on NPR during my conference period online. I get conference period now right after second period to do grading and call parents. HA!

These ambassadors are sounding super credible.

Nunes turned it on Democrats saying this was a sham made up democratic plot and brought out Biden again. This is about Trump. Not Biden. It's like they don't get it.

It's almost as if they're following a playbook where a political party worked hard to make impeachment about something else other than the offense involved.

It obviously never happened because Democrats are perfect, but it'd be like if they had taken Clinton's blatant perjury and made it all about him having an affair.

You spent your free period listening to this stuff? I'll admit I have this on as background noise. I remember when Nunes gave his statement I was looking for WrestleMania tickets.

I'm waiting for something new and worthwhile. This is stuff we all know. None of it will get Trump removed from office. If nothing new comes up then this is nothing more than an elaborate show to pay into the mind of undecided voters.

This whole thing is supposed to be about Trump going after Biden. Trump says he was worried about corruption that included Biden. Yet none of this has anything to do with Biden?

I'm watching the "cross examination", and these two aren't doing so great. Once again this is what they said happened during the closed door hearings. This shit is boring. I'm going to go now the lawn for some excitement.

I won't watch any of it because I don't want the political speeches parading as fact finding, but I'll read the transcripts.

As for it being about the Bidens, I think it's the same as saying Clinton's impeachment was about Lewinsky. The issue at hand is what the president did. Did the president solicit political help from a foreign power and use the power of his office to do so, specifically by denying aid?

If he did, it's wrong, regardless of whether or not Joe Biden shot someone on Fifth Avenue. I'm sure you disagree, but I can honestly say that I would hold the same belief whoever was in office, and I don't think many Republicans or Democrats could honestly say the same thing.

It's a political process that hasn't happened in many people's lifetimes. OKAY YEAH NOT mine but still, I couldn't imagine *not* watching it.

'It's almost as if they're following a playbook where a political party worked hard to make impeachment about something else other than the offense involved.'

Can you give an example of this?

'This whole thing is supposed to be about Trump going after Biden. Trump says he was worried about corruption that included Biden. Yet none of this has anything to do with Biden?'

What whole thing is 'supposed to' be about Biden? The impeachment is about our President asking a foreign government for what seems to be a personal favor. Or do you mean Trump's excuse for the favor is about Biden?

The GOP called for Hunter Biden; that's not likely to happen.

It's a political process that hasn't happened in many people's lifetimes. OKAY YEAH NOT mine but still, I couldn't imagine *not* watching it.

'It's almost as if they're following a playbook where a political party worked hard to make impeachment about something else other than the offense involved.'

Can you give an example of this?

I already did. People still believe the lie that Clinton was impeached for getting a blowjob instead of commiting an actual crime, because the Democrats loudly lied about it.

And that where you have the problem for the Democrats. To this point they don't have enough to charge Trump with an actual infraction. If they did they would have done so already. Remember this started it as a quid pro quo for help against a political opponent. They can't I've that yet. And yes I'll admit the yet part. So now they're saying Trump was bribing Ukraine. Which is course they can't prove. Yet. I'll never say "Trump didn't do that". Not the safest bet. Until the Democrats actually come up with something this whole process is nothing but an expensive anti Trump ad.

I’m not sure you’re right, at least about whether or not they would have impeached him already. If that’s what you mean by charged. They did the investigation and now they’re going to make their case to the public, especially because they can’t trust the Senate trial to be a time to really make a case, since the outcome is already clear. If they get video of him holding a gun to the president of Ukraine while saying the US will nuke them if they don’t investigate Biden, then maybe they could get a few Republicans to vote against him, but I doubt he’d even be removed from office.

And that where you have the problem for the Democrats. To this point they don't have enough to charge Trump with an actual infraction. If they did they would have done so already. Remember this started it as a quid pro quo for help against a political opponent. They can't I've that yet. And yes I'll admit the yet part. So now they're saying Trump was bribing Ukraine. Which is course they can't prove. Yet. I'll never say "Trump didn't do that". Not the safest bet. Until the Democrats actually come up with something this whole process is nothing but an expensive anti Trump ad.

Impeachment is political, not criminal and they'd likely have more than enough to prove a criminal case. Quid pro quo isn't a necessary component to prove abuse of power. I believe they have Trump asking a foreign government for help in investigating a private American citizen. I further believe Trump admitted to doing so on camera and then asked another foreign government to do the same. I believe those things go against the US Constitution and are a good example of what impeachment was meant to address. But what I believe means nothing; this will be decided by the US Senate and anything but acquittal, at this point, is unlikely

They've been trying to impeach Trump since before he was sworn in. If they had the goods they would have begun impeachment hearings instead of this inquiry.

You act like the point of this is to actually remove him from office. House Democrats aren't dumb enough to buy that happening. This is about keeping bad news about Trump front and center leading up to 2020. Ideally they wouldn't have started this until next year, but Trump pushed their hand.

LOL. You're all so jaded.

Anyway. It's pretty clear to me that Trump withheld security aid, counter to our national security interests, for the purpose of pressuring Ukraine for political dirt.

You might not think that's enough to build the political will for impeachment and removal from office, but I would argue that it should be.

I mean to me this is the funniest political event ever. I mean here's this Trump guy who's listening to Guiliani the crazy conspiracy theory peddler, only worried about corruption asking another - and not rich or connected - country to investigate his political rival for his election or no funds for war. Like Biden's even gonna win. Just give Trump enough rope and he'll eventually hang a few other people out to dry.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.