Disney+

In general, I dislike the whole thing with different studios/networks launching their own streaming services. Very few have the content worth it for me, but it locks the limited content I would want behind paywalls beyond Hulu and Netflix. Having said that, I’m pretty psyched about Disney+, primarily as a parent. I don’t feel a need to force my childhood on my kids, but we did watch the DuckTales movies and a couple of Rescue Rangers episodes from a DVD, and my kids were super into them. In terms of TV, I’m most interested in The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. Our family loves Pooh, and I loved the cartoon and I want to know if it stands up. I’ve tried watching some on YouTube, since you can’t find it anywhere else, but none of the videos have the intro so screw them.

Between the Disney stuff, the Fox stuff, the Marvel stuff, and the Star Wars stuff, there’s a lot of quality content and my mom is gifting us with a year subscription. I don’t know if it’ll be worth it past that year, and that’ll depend on what new content is added. Until then, Apple Dumpling Gang, here we come.

i have it for the first year. it was crazy not to do that deal. $60 for a year i believe? after that, who knows. with hulu and netflix, i always subscribe/unsubscribe from them. I'm currently unsub'd from netflix after i watched el camino, and probably won't resub again until Ozark season 3 comes out, which i assume is probably only a few months away.

Also getting a bit sick of all the different streaming services. I've been kind of lucky with a few of them as in Australia some of them come packaged with mobile & internet plans but still, streaming felt like the answer to the annoyances of Cable/Pay TV but now in some aspects it's worse. I got Apple TV+ "free" for a year just because I happened to get a new iPhone a few weeks ago - some of the stuff on there is pretty good but definitely not worth spending a $ on yet until they've got a lot more material to watch.

Disney+ though will definitely be picking up. The original content looks fantastic so far - the Star Wars shows are worth it alone for me just because I've always wanted live action SW on the TV screen. The upcoming Marvel ones look to be a treat as well as and the backlog should be epic. I think it'll be the only service to really rival Netflix. . . Amazon Prime probably the closest? Bear in mind I'm purely talking global, not US, Australia or anywhere else specific.

Disney tricked me back when by implying the Netflix Marvel shows mattered, so I cant give cares for these new ones even tho they are like more Disney than Netflix Disney was... like say... Disney plus. The Mandalorian also looks like fan wank. That said, I will be subscribing soon.

The good news is PJ Masks is on Disney+!

My wife was concerned about Paw Patrol because it has kids saving completely idiotic adults all the time, and she was worried it would make our kids think that adults are stupid. She convinced me of her stance and we made a no Paw Patrol rule a couple of years ago. That whole thing is worth starting a new topic, though.

So far I’ve watched one episode of The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh with my kids, and I watched The Mandalorian and Encore. As a former drama *** as they called us back in the 90s, I really enjoyed watching Encore, but I don’t know that it would be meaningful for people who don’t have that background. I did like that there wasn’t any drama about people hooking up with their high school exes or anything.

Curious what you all think about the debate that has arisen regarding Disney releasing Song of the South? One side says heck no, it's racist and has no place on this or any other platform. The other says going back and sanitizing the past eliminates the ability to have conversations about these stains in our history and learn from them.

Disney has included a lot of content that wouldn’t get made today, but they made the right call with Song of the South. They aren’t erasing any reference to it, or something, they’re just choosing to not profit from it. If they were releasing an edited version to make it seem less racist, I think that’s where you’d get into the idea of them trying to sanitize the past.

Jeff Goldblums show is pretty solid, imo. I was disappointed in the bait and switch of Encore, the ads I saw of it seemed like it was a fully Kristen Bell hosted thing... but it isnt... not in the slightest. Disney has done this series dirty by making it a seem like its a Kristen Bell thing... and I know she is a producer, but seriously, shes in it for about half a minute.

Yeah, they’ve definitely oversold her involvement. One of many weird choices.

The fact that I can’t resume watching something on another device is a killer, though. And unacceptable.

If Resume Play happens it will probably come in 2020 like several of the movies they have listed as having that I got excited to watch up until seeing a notice after you click on the film that it isnt actually available until 2020.

And breathe. ;-) That was quite a sentence.

I recommend Forky asks a Question, btw. It is a short, about three minutes long. I am hoping it will be a series of shorts under the Forky asks a Question banner. Anyway, it is a really a great skit.

The special edition changes to ANH are also quite horrid in high def, especially those on Tatooine. eg. you can literally see the cut/paste outline around Harrison in the Jabba scene. The approach to Mos Eisley is horrible too. I am now firmly in the camp that thinks a remastered cut much closer to the original cut should be considered by Disney.

Also, Met, I feel ya. I am feeling let down by Disney plus. There is a lot of content and seven bucks is nothing really, but I dunno... maybe my expectations were too high. Story of my life, probably. lol

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.