Homemade Chicken-Veggie Soup

Rock

I turned 43 today and my mother made me her famous homemade chicken-veggie soup. Of course after my open heart surgery, there's no salt, made with unsalted stock, etc so it was bland at first but I had a salt substitute so it was still yummy. She made a huge batch of it and froze them into ziploc bags so I'm all set for a while.

I don't know what it is but I always feel better after this soup. Any of you feel this way about homemade soup?

I rarely like soup, and my mom has somehow forgotten how to cook so I can never have my childhood favorites. I used to love her meatloaf, and she would always cook it in a big pan surrounded by carrots and potatoes. She made it for me a couple of years ago and the meatloaf was burned to a crisp and the veggies were completely raw. So basically the carrots were the only edible part.

I'm not a huge soup eater. Though I have a soft spot for pumpkin soup, and soups involving root vegetables. Carrot and coriander soup is pretty good. But only in winter, and with a big crusty loaf of sourdough and butter.

Mmmmmm soup and bread and butter

My Dad once made me Cream of Mushroom & Brie soup. It was pretty much the most amazing thing I've ever had. It probably clogged one of my arteries lol.

My mom also made me turkey chili and it's really good considering it's turkey instead of ground beef. She didn't use any salt for my condition so I use Mrs. Dash Table Blend seasoning and that does the trick. She has one of those Instapot things and used it for the chili so she was able to crank it out pretty quickly.

And LOL @ Seth

I rarely like soup, and my mom has somehow forgotten how to cook so I can never have my childhood favorites. I used to love her meatloaf, and she would always cook it in a big pan surrounded by carrots and potatoes. She made it for me a couple of years ago and the meatloaf was burned to a crisp and the veggies were completely raw. So basically the carrots were the only edible part.

Before my Grandmother died, she dictated a bunch of recipes to me including her Meatloaf recipe, which is flawless and easy to make. I have it typed up if you're interested in making it.

Equipment:

Wax paper

Baking pan

Mixing bowl

Ingredients:

2 lbs ground beef

onions

garlic

italian breadcrumbs

1 egg

6 slices of white american cheese

crushed tomatoes

jar of tomato sauce (Ragu)

olive oil

Preparations:

Chop onions and garlic

Directions:

Mix first 6 items together. Lay concoction on wax paper. Place cheese in center. Roll bottom to top. Place in deep baking pan. Mix crushed tomatoes & sauce and cover.

Bake °350 for 45 minutes.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.