Now my daughter is in the hospital

She's doing better, but there's still a lot of risk. She might actually come home in the next few days with a PICC line, and receive in-home care. They can't do anything about the clot until the infection is cleared up, so it might be that she's home for a few weeks fighting the infection and then going back in for clot treatment. She's actually interacting with people and eating now, which is good. We're past the "she could go at any minute" phase, but we've got a long time before we're in the "she's out of danger" phase entirely. She could take a turn for the worse at any moment until that clot is gone.

Thanks. It's been the most terrifying thing I've ever experienced. I really didn't think she was going to pull through.

She also still looks like a completely different baby, and will until the swelling goes down. She's really a slender little girl, but she looks chunky because she's so swollen.

My sister-in-law is visiting from Pittsburgh and is going to pick me up and take me to the hospital tomorrow.

She's doing better, but there's still a lot of risk. She might actually come home in the next few days with a PICC line, and receive in-home care. They can't do anything about the clot until the infection is cleared up, so it might be that she's home for a few weeks fighting the infection and then going back in for clot treatment. She's actually interacting with people and eating now, which is good. We're past the "she could go at any minute" phase, but we've got a long time before we're in the "she's out of danger" phase entirely. She could take a turn for the worse at any moment until that clot is gone.

The picc lines are heartbreaking. I give you giant hugs. Even having her home is the best! Be extra careful around the picc area. Infections come from that area.

• 2 weeks later...

We got lab results, and they’re promising but not necessarily good still. She still has a lot of infection, so they’re thinking treatment might continue past next week. Which means our life will continue to be based around giving her IV meds, so I have to hold her down while my wife does it. Getting up in the middle of the night is really hard, unless I’m already awake from feeling terrible.

On the plus side she’s smiling a lot more and is interacting a lot. She’s closer to her old self, which is awesome to see. She’s always been a really happy baby, so it’s been killing me to see her being so serious. On the other hand, I’m pretty non-demonstrative so she looks even more like me when she isn’t smiling.

The PICC line is out. She has 9 days of oral antibiotics and then hopefully we may be done as long as the clot resolves itself and nothing else crops up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.