Your delivery subscriptions

Darth Ender

I recently went to Denver ComicCon and observed quite a few mystery box subscriptions. Some are around a theme, like Harry Potter, some are just basic nerd stuff. I think I understand the draw, its kinda fun getting the box, but most of what I have seen is hardly worth the price of the box and you can't return unwanted items (like StitchFix) so they just end up cluttering up the house or you have to give them away or whatever.

Does anyone have these mystery subscriptions, and if so, do you like it?

Also, I am wondering what everyone's physical deliverable subscriptions are?

I do have a weekly milk delivery. I have a fairly routine life so I have thought about adding Blue Apron and StichFix to break up things up.

I have done a few over the years. I did one from/but uncluttered, which gave fun space-saving office, kitchen, and storage things... but eventually it just added to the clutter.

I've considered various geeky ones, but I don't need more stuff.

Right now I am doing Thistle, which delivers a few meals a week. I find that on my own, evenings/dinner time is when I get lonely and depressed, and I will 100% just order delivery dinner when that happens, so these keep me from eating like an asshole... usually.

The only one that interests me is the date night box. I don't need more stuff, Im constantly trying to weed stuff out. I don't do collectibles, no matter how much my mom and siblings think I do. My wife likes to cook and we like to pick out our own food, so good delivery isn't a great fit.

We're also being extra frugal right now so that kind of stuff doubly isn't in the budget, but we also have two kids in Catholic school, so extravagant things are always a low priority.

I don't even have a Prime account. Also Amazon is not cheaper. I've found things I can stop in at the store on the way to work cheaper than waiting one to two days to have it delivered via Amazon. I like supporting my local economy in a way. I feel it's more environmentally friendly for some reason.

I used to do a comic book subscription but from my local shop. I've stopped reading comics. That was the last one I subscribed to.

Old people though, man, my Mom gets a ton of stuff from these weird little catalogs and JC Penney delivered to her house. Candy, Omaha Meats, old people clothes catalogs, LL Bean, Bonworth.

The other reason I feel better about not having delivery is I live in a condo complex and the drivers just leave things all willie nillie. So my Klepto neighbor just comes and takes them right off my porch area. She's stolen some packages my Mom sent to me (My god when she wore that gold lame puff jacket my Mom sent to me for Christmas to shoplift at the local gas station it was hilarious). One driver threw my router from AT&T up to the third floor landing instead of climbing the three flights to leave it at my door. It was busted when I tried to install it.

Amazon isn’t always cheaper, but it frequently is. I buy a decent amount of stuff from Amazon because it’s 2-3 time cheaper.

Recently I needed to replace the water filter on our refrigerator. Buying it locally was $60 each, buying from Amazon was 2 for $20. I also bought sweatpants, $20 in store, $8 on Amazon for the exact same pants.

But in terms of collecting things, Amazon is frequently cheaper because you have to find a store willing to special order stuff, because nobody can have the stock that Amazon carries.

I get sweat pants with POCKETS at Walmart for 5 bucks. I don't have kids though so my purchasing power is a smaller kind of footprint. If I pay for a Prime subscription that's what $99 dollars for a year but I only need to buy two or three things from Amazon so factoring in the cost of Prime makes it not worth it for me. Same with Costco. I use another teachers card when she goes to Costco and just pay cash. I don't stream much nor need music (I love radio! Go Tami!).

We definitely get our money’s worth out of Prime between streaming kids stuff and ordering house stuff. Recently we wanted to get a Sit and Spin for my daughter’s first birthday, and nobody local sells them. The best we could do was a double Sit and Spin that also had a water aspect to it, and we weren’t interested. Amazon had exactly what we wanted and got it to us the next day. It was perfect.

I use Amazon Prime for three scenarios: when Ive exhausted local resources and still cant find what I need, when it is legitimately, significantly cheaper than any other source and has a better selection (essential oils are a good example of this), or when Im too depressed to put on real clothes and leave the house but Im about to run out of something.

Amazon is starting to freak me out.

The other day I needed diapers. I thought I had a few in the diaper bag, so I ordered it on Amazon for free day of delivery. I go to the diaper bag and no diapers. I can't wait a few hours so I drive to Target. I am gone...maybe an hour...and the diapers are on my front porch before I got back.

I mean...wtf...

I don't even understand how it is profitable bc the diapers were cheaper than they were at Target AND free shipping. Are there people just hanging out with a truck full of diapers? My gut is saying yes.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.