AEW Dynamite

Metropolis

I would pass out from shock if Adam Page won the title at this point. I think the ship has sailed on that one.

I'm reminded of something Daniel Bryan said on SmackDown when he was a heel. He was on commentary and he asked Graves if he knew the difference between the Bushwhackers and the Sheepherders. His point was that the Bushwhackers never won the tag titles, while they had won them as the Sheepherders. A good point...... For back in the day. If you asked someone today about the Bushwhackers, they would do the walk and stay talking like they did. The same person probably doesn't remember when they were the Sheepherders. Today the goal is to be a star, to be remembered. The title for better or worse had been used to elevate the wrestler. Not the other way around. Chris Jericho didn't need to be the first AEW champ, but AEW needed him to be. He elevated the belt because he is an all timer. They don't have anyone else in that spot. I bring that up because I look at MJF and see a guy who seems to be getting further and further away from a heavyweight title. And that's a shame 

I think the one thing we forgot to mention. Ruby Soho (Riott) debuting as well. Good for her. I don't like the fact she was let go. She's no Lana. But what does it say that she came in and won the battle royal right off the bat? It's proof as to how bad the AEW women's division is. Other than Brit Baker their most interesting female was an alien from the Andromeda Galaxy who didn't talk. As much as they've tried to push Jade Cargil, she sucks.  Shida is great in the ring, but her mic work is bad. Yet they don't have the stones to sign Tessa Blanchard. Go figure. 

14 hours ago, Darth Krawlie said:

Watched Dynamite, the full thing, for maybe the first time. First time in one sitting, for sure. Pretty okay. Nothing spectacular. Good main event between Moxley and Suzuki.

I didn't think the main event was anything special and I question it's place in the main event.  I would have flipped the placement of the match with the Elite/Danielson spot.  The ME was "here's your home town boy" and it was just alright.  I wish I had made it in time to watch Black and Dustin as Black has been the MVP of every show he's performed on since his debut.  But Hunter Hurst Cody will probably derail that in a few weeks.

On 9/6/2021 at 12:00 PM, Metropolis said:

I would pass out from shock if Adam Page won the title at this point. I think the ship has sailed on that one.

I'm reminded of something Daniel Bryan said on SmackDown when he was a heel. He was on commentary and he asked Graves if he knew the difference between the Bushwhackers and the Sheepherders. His point was that the Bushwhackers never won the tag titles, while they had won them as the Sheepherders. A good point...... For back in the day. If you asked someone today about the Bushwhackers, they would do the walk and stay talking like they did. The same person probably doesn't remember when they were the Sheepherders. Today the goal is to be a star, to be remembered. The title for better or worse had been used to elevate the wrestler. Not the other way around. Chris Jericho didn't need to be the first AEW champ, but AEW needed him to be. He elevated the belt because he is an all timer. They don't have anyone else in that spot. I bring that up because I look at MJF and see a guy who seems to be getting further and further away from a heavyweight title. And that's a shame 

1. Do you actually watch and pay attention, re: Page? 

2. Why would you make that original statement and then end the follow up wondering why an average in ring performer on the same level as The Miz isn't in the world title scene?

Bryan Danielson and Omega are happening too quickly.  And, just by the way the way the promo went, I'm getting a sneaky suspicion that their program is going to mirror Piper/Hogan from WCW and it's going to be a non title win for Bryan and then a rubber match title victory for Omega.  All pit stops to whenever Khan pulls the trigger on Page and Omega.

I do watch Dynamite. I still haven't seen Rampage yet. 

Were your referring to MJF? Since i think you were I'll go off that. MJF had been one of the young wrestlers that AEW had been trying to push as a future star. Yet they closest he's been to a title is wrestling for that ring you'd forget about if he didn't kiss it all the time. And then they job him out to Jericho at the ppv. I don't get that.

The Page thing was interrupted because he had a kid. Tony Kahn had gotten some shiny new toys since then. Right now i believe that it matters who is champ for AEW. Because it's the pieces they've added, Page works need some leveling up to meet that task. 

I wouldn't call losing a match with a stipulation that the veteran retires is "jobbing out." I think it was the right conclusion to that story--MJF wasn't harmed by losing to Jericho one time after beating him several times at all.

In a perfect world Page would've beaten Omega for the title at All Out. It was the most correct ending to the story they've had, at least as far as I understood it. Didn't watch a lot of AEW early on so I could be wrong. Real life intervened, of course, having a kid is way more important. But I too worry that all of that will be tossed to the side with all the new talent that's come in, and that will be coming in (not for a second do I doubt that Wyatt will be showing up the first day he's able). 

MJF and Page are two guys that should be at the top of AEW. They're both high up, no doubt, but with all the additions they could very easily be lost in the shuffle. Hopefully not. Tony Khan has proven himself to be a mostly good booker, but he has never had THIS amount of talent, THIS much attention, and THIS much good will built up. No one can keep it up in perpetuity. Wrestling fans online are funny about this. They think because AEW is at the top of its game now, and it really is and I'm really enjoying it, they think it'll last forever and no one will ever want to leave, let alone jump over to WWE. But if Tony can't handle all of this, someone(s) will slip through the cracks and bolt. It's inevitable, really.

This is the biggest reason i don't see Braun Strowman signing with AEW. They don't use their big guys well. Or at all sometimes.  I think part of it glad to do with suspension of belief. Brian Cage is a big dude, but he's barely 6ft tall. Archer and Brodie Lee were mostly put up against Cody. Both of them are 6'7". Can you imagine Braun Strowman in the ring with Darby Alin? Truth is though AEW doesn't have enough television time to feature that many people at the risk of storytelling. 

• 3 weeks later...

Only caught the end of the show. From what I've seen Miro has done a great job with this Redeemer gimmick--way better than being a gamer or whatever the fuck it was at the beginning. But MJF was right, Sammy's one of the pillars the future of AEW should be built on.

I might have to go out of my way to watch the Cole/Jungle Boy match. Big Cole fan and am undecided on Jungle Boy. My problem with Cole is he went from being a big deal in NXT, the focus of the show, to just another guy in AEW. I have a hard time seeing him being able to stand out there, despite his ability to put on great matches. Hope I'm wrong.

While Miro's current gimmick is better than the best man schtick, he got a little stale. I think that's in part to AEW but really doing anything with their big guys. Miro had to beat Darby Alin or else it would have sent him straight to the bottom of the card. Problem is there was no threat to him and his character couldn't grow. Personally I think Sammy has a higher ceiling than Miro. 

While I like Jungle Boy, that run he did with Omega showed how bad he was on the mic. Unless he really improves on that he's where he will always be in AEW.

I think one of the reasons I'm super into Big E being WWE Champion is that it's SO NICE to see a face world champion again. Between Kenny Omega and Roman Reigns, I'm super board with the main event scene in wrestling (though Ciampa/Breakker is fun).

I DO think Kenny's more likely to lose it sooner than Roman, but still, I'm just not into the Elite and I want to move on from them. If it's not Adam Page as the Joker in the ladder match tonight, then I dunno. I don't think Danielson should be the guy to beat him, or Punk or Christian. Who else is even close? Moxley, but we've seen that. Not sure.

TBS championship huh? When there was rumor of s secondary title for the AEW women's division i thought it was a joke because they don't have enough top level women to do it. But hey! And people are fine with this!?! It's not that AEW doesn't give enough TV time to the women. It's that their women trail Britt Baker in charisma by a country mile. That's why Ruby Riott can walk into AEW and become a top contender immediately. While i liked Ruby, there were a number of women ahead of her in mic skills and in ring talent. Did that excuse Carmella getting more tv time than her? No. There is however a lot of good women's wrestlers in WWE.

This reminds me of the women's tag titles. Everyone wanted them even though the WWE only had ONE actual tag team. Vince actually was against the idea. Having the title defended across all three brands helped, but then they double down on stupid and created the NXT women's tag titles. Yet there are still people wondering why the women's tag division is so woeful. SMH

And i agree with you about the face champion thing. The only problem with that is that it's usually easy to take the belt off of a face champ. They've set Roman up so well that him pissing the belt will be a big deal. And I don't think it will be Brock that does it. I could be wrong, but i still don't think Hangman will be the one to beat Omega. 

Who are you thinking, then? The top contender is Orange Cassidy, and while I like his act, I don't think it's World Champion material. Other top contenders that haven't already been mentioned are Lance Archer and Miro, both of whom are heels (I'd take Miro though). Eddie Kingston? Andrade, who I can't tell if he's heel or face? PAC is a heel. Drawing a blank on anyone else.

I usually have to watch AEW highlights because I'm behind cleaning it up in the DVR. If I've learned anything it's they it's tough to appreciate "great" matches after the fact. The Omega-Danielson match is no different. Good match, don't get me wrong, but it's hard to watch a 30 minute match straight through knowing the outcome. The match was a lot better than those overrated Omega-Okada matches i wasted time on. I'll give the credit to Danielson for that. While it became a spot fest towards the end it wasn't repetitive with numerous near falls. 

Krawlie you've said that you don't care too much for Bucks. I'm indifferent about them. I don't think they're the "wrestlers" everyone thinks they are. Everytime they wrestle my wife says it looks like they are choreographing their moves. Fair. This past Dynamite, Matt Jackson clearly threw Danielson into the pin to break it up. My wife tells at me "did you see that? I don't like these guys. They don't even try to look real". Lol. Too funny.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.