AEW Dynamite

Metropolis

My wife for one look at Nyla Rose and asked me if that was a dude. I just laughed my ass off.

So far it's been.....okay. I think what you are seeing is indie talent on a large scale.(AEW) You're also seeing similar talent in a much smaller scale with NXT. Full Sail only holds around (correction) 1000 people. As energetic as the crowd is, it's still small.

I DVRd both AEW: Dynamite and WWE: NXT. I decided to watch AEW first. It was pretty good - the wrestlilng. Cody vs. Guevara (spelling?) was very good. The woman's match was phenomenal. JR, Shiavone and Excalibur need time to fully jell, but they should be okay. Just saw that AEW: Dynamite drew 14 million viewers compared to NXT's 891,000 viewers. But, you knew that was going to happen. A lot of people checking AEW out to see what is going on.

NXT: Riddle vs. Cole was out of this ****ing world. Shirai vs. Yim was awesome as well. I did not get to watch the rest, as I fell asleep (Not bored, it was late).

There is part of me that is wondering just how triggered people were by the HIAC finish and the crap Raw this week. The amount of love Dynamite got this week was crazy. I just finished watching it (watching NXT as I type this), and I can't help but wonder what show people watched. The show started off great with The Bucks-Private Party. The Bucks have been part of the two best matches on Dynamite so far.

The Jericho promo with "The Inner Circle" was great as well. Classic Jericho putting the AEW layers on edge wondering if he was going to violate a trademark.

Other than the main event the rest of the matches were kinda boring. Havoc and Allin was meh. Moxley and Spears bordered on bad for me. The women's tag match? Nothing.

It's rate I actually watch all the way through a match if I've DVR'd a show. I watched every minute of Dynamite and was not rewarded for it. While Dynamite was a better show than Raw, that wasn't a hard Target to hit. It wasn't better than first show.

A few things:

AEW has a bit of a "star" problem. While a lot of these guys are Indie stars, it makes you realize why some guys went to NXT before hitting the main roster. Sammy Guevara , while decent in ring, has no business being in Jericho's stable. Darby Allin? I loved the bio of him on HBO, but he has a ways to go as well.

The women's division has a ways to go as well. Britt Baker is okay, butt the rest don't seem to have the combination of ring and mic skills. I think they put the belt on Riho because she's the only on it would fit.

At some point stories are going to have to be advanced on television. I haven't watched Being the Elite since before Double or Nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going wrestling free tonight. NBA regular season opener for the Heat. I need something, along with the Lightning, to get my mind off of a bad football season for my teams.

I do have an issue with AEW so to speak that I'll try to get to tomorrow. The issue isn't with AEW itself, but the people covering it.

Okay. Just finished the Lucha Brothers-Private Party match. This is the kind of stuff that will turn even the most crazed indie fan. That was not a wrestling match. The Lucha Brothers have street cred. That match did nothing to advance Private Party. They're a team that needs A LOT of work to be seen as credible.

I think part of it is people just desperate for something new, so ANYTHING new is automatically propped up higher than maybe it should be. And that's all right, it'll come back down to earth eventually. It happened with NXT when it first took off a few years ago, too. I'm definitely more into the NXT style of storytelling than anything I've seen out of AEW, even though they have pretty similar in ring quality.

But I'm LITERALLY BEGGING AEW to go five minutes without referencing WWE in one way or another. If they're not doing it on Dynamite, it's on BTE, or in media interviews. Just stop. It comes across so goddamn minor league. Remember when TNA used to do that a decade plus ago?

Odd they would bring out the Rock and Roll Express to present the tag titles. I'd question bringing out a couple of lesser known(but great) 60 year olds, but they were NWA tag champs as recently as last month so......

As an aside, the Rock and Roll Express-Midnight Express rivalry was one of the greatest tag rivalries of all time.

So I watched AEW, until I flipped channels and watched the NXT women's tag title match. Awesome and the aftermath. War Games is going to be good.

As for Dynamite, the lack of real talent on their roster is starting to show. Some of these guys are so generic and bland

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Outside of flashy outfits and 238824 of the exact same high spots every match, Kenny Omega doesn't have anything to offer. Unless you wanna count memes and goofy ass faces.

I think they do have a couple other guys worth watching. I mostly like Moxley, though he's a lot less different than Ambrose than they want you to think. Luchasaurus is fun, and I think MJF can be a really big heel at some point.

Beyond that though... this company probably just isn't for me at this point.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm going to give AEW credit. They've pared down the storylines to the bare minimum. They've taken advantage of the fact that they have months between ppvs to tell a story. They've been able to mask a woefully thin roster this past three months. They've made Orange Cassidy interesting on TV without having him wrestle. Of course he's wrestling Pac Saturday at the ppv. That should be something.

It will be interesting to see what they do after this ppv. I just don't see Moxley beating Jericho. Jericho has been their lifeline as le champion. Cody vs MJF has been a good build up. The match promises to let down because I find MJF more annoying than anything. He's a good heel because he's annoying. Decent wrestler but a one trick pony. The friction between the Elite has some mileage in it. Then it all falls off a cliff.

• 2 weeks later...

So Matt Hardy and Luke Harper(Brodie Lee) debuted on Dynamite tonight. The Dark Order is bad so I'm not sure people will care about that. Maybe it's because I didn't watch Impact, but I never got into Broken Matt Hardy. And what was with the drone?

Okay the drone was from Matt Hardy's last YouTube video.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.