Yesterday

Watching this now. A guy wakes up after being hit by a bus and finds out there was some global power outage that erased things from everyone's memory. Coca-Cola and cigarettes don't exist, and most importantly for him, the Beatles. So far it's a really fun sci-fi comedy that wasn't quite marketed that way. Reminiscent of "The Invention of Lying" but the lead is less grating.

I also have zero interest in the Pakistani kid loving Bruce Springsteen movie. I remember when Fanboys came out I also hated it. I think I don;t like movies about fans of pop culture. Movies themselves are pop culture.

Also why I probably don't like Kevin Smith films post the original Clerks.

I really wasn't interested in it, and don't care for the Beatles, but it ended up being good. It was more about the main character dealing with living a lie than anything else, which saved it from being another guy gets famous story. After "That Thing You Do!" perfected the "normie becomes famous" trope, you need a fresh angle for it to work at all.

Its funny you talk about living a lie because one of the famous things of the Beatles is how Paul thought someone else wrote "Yesterday". The tune came to him and he was sure he had heard it elsewhere. He spent weeks and months humming the tune to everyone he knew asking if they recognized it. Eventually he came to the conclusion he "wrote" it without knowing it. Supposedly this isn't a completely uncommon thing.

So if something like what happened in this movie happened to someone at some point theyd have to accept that they actually did "write" all these songs and weren't living a lie.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.