The OMG Impeachment thread!

Tank

One thing that was pointed out a while ago is that Trump's approval rating, etc, with Republicans doesn't mean as much as it did for previous presidents, because a lot of never-Trumpers now call themselves independent.

Recency bias is always a problem - who knows at this point? But I'm not sure there's a more shallow defense than the "at least he doesn't promote slavery" defense.

Our founding fathers created the impeachment power because they were concerned that somebody vested with the executive power might use that power for their personal benefit, in violation of the public trust. If the allegations against Trump are true, then I can absolutely see how history would hold him out as an example of what the impeachment power was created to protect against. That in and of itself would place him among the worst presidents ever.

Our prior presidents and forefathers who protected, enshrined, and even expanded slavery should absolutely be held to account by history - but, in my opinion, that's a much broader criticism about our nation and founding system of government in general. It's kind of apples and oranges isn't it? None of those slavery-promoting presidents could have possibly been impeached for that conduct. It seems like a different discussion to me.

Its about an awareness of true history--actions and decisions that were evil/destructive when they happened, and still poison the nation (in modified ways) centuries later. To that end, its also about how anyone claiming Trump is "the worst president ever" is completely ignorant of history, particularly Americans. It takes more than just breathing here know what a "worst" president is, and anyone understanding true history (not what is stitched together by most news media outlets) can comfortably conclude that Trump would need to go a long way to make such a list.

I hear ya, bro. But I stand by my point. Especially with slavery, which was specifically protected by our constitution at its signing - its hard(er) to pin that evil of our nations history on a single president or group of presidents. Youre talking about people presiding over a system designed with institutionalized standards of oppression. Meanwhile, Trump is accused of taking a system with institutionalized standards for fairness and steering the power of the government towards his *personal* benefit, in violation of those standards.

Again, its way too early to say with any fairness whether Trump will be looked at as the worst by history. But a president that uses his power and the apparatus of the federal government for personal gain is exactly what our framers feared. And its impossible to diffuse the blame to anybody else.

It still feels like we are talking about separate issues. Slavery is clearly a worse evil than anything Trump is alleged of doing, but that seems like a separate question to me, especially in a thread about impeachment.

It wasn't as much a defense as it was pointing out today people these days don't know more than what they see on television is what they remember from history class. I could have talked about Herbert Hoover exacerbating the Great Depression. People still harp on Dick Cheney accidentally shooting a hunting partner, when we had a vice president kill a man in a duel. Tank's clarification of "in his lifetime" was more appropriate. It's still his opinion and I respect it.

I don't defend Trump. That's a Herculean task. I just point out how some of you overreact.

I wish that accusing people of treason was impeachable. We could get rid of half of Washington, and it would be the half that doesn’t understand the Constitution at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Impeachment. More like im-orange-ment. Amirite?

ProPublica found evidence that Trump has been inflating property values for investors and deflating them for tax purposes, either defrauding investors or the government, probably both. This includes while he has been president.

If this is true, and I'm not sure it is, it's not only blatantly impeachable, but prison-worthy.

Not unless the Supreme Court says he can be investigated. The IRS certainly isn't handing them over to Congress, because any type of oversight over the President is unconstitutional. Article II says he can do anything he wants. It's written there in crayon just as it always has been. "TRUMP CAN DO WHATEVERER HE WANTSES TO DO"

Impeachment. More like im-orange-ment. Amirite?

ProPublica found evidence that Trump has been inflating property values for investors and deflating them for tax purposes, either defrauding investors or the government, probably both. This includes while he has been president.

If this is true, and I'm not sure it is, it's not only blatantly impeachable, but prison-worthy.

I went to CNN's website and it wasn't anywhere to be found. Probably not true.

It was a joke that is it were an impeachable offense then it would have been headline on CNN. I looked again and didn't see it in the first few line items. I'm on my phone though so maybe it's different on the regular site.

Point is wake me up if something actually happens. This act has gotten old after 3 years.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.