The OMG Impeachment thread!

Tank

There's probably a lot of chaos in the White House. What we don't even know right now could probably be enough to bring him down. There's the memos that they withhold from Trump and tons of stuff they don't even tell him because they're afraid he would blab it. It would not surprise me in the least that there's a few bugs just to maintain security or give future regimes a chance. People used to be proud to go to the White House. Now, it's just kind of scary. This year my school didn't even organize a trip for the Honor Society kids to go to DC. They're going to Austin instead for a week of touring offices of law makers and talking to my governor instead.

So you think that there’s a criminal conspiracy against the duly elected president? Cool.

If there is, I hope all people involved go to prison for as long as possible.

"The result will be the re-election of the most inept and corrupt US President in history"

There were presidents that helped expand slavery, but yeah worst ever.

Of course. There's no act committed by Trump that will ever come close on the "worst / most corrupt president ever" list to those who participated in, promoted and benefited from enslaving millions of Africans across centuries. Ah, but that matters not to those who either do not give a damn, or play the ever-failed game of thinking the politics of today--social politics in particular--is even a raised eyebrow compared to the unforgivable, race destroying treatment of black people (with the effects on Africa, America and the legal abuses post slavery).

Remove the presidents who are connected to slavery and Trump still cannot make that list.

Present day histrionics is no substitute for historical fact and its continuing effect on the United States.

You know, with every president I can't stand, when the new one comes, I always think, you know, maybe the last guy wasn't so bad after all. Them I remember that they each use their predecessor's actions to justify their abuses, usurping more and more power with each incarnation more corrupt than the last. And it's only downhill from here, folks. If you think this administration is a circus, wait till you see the next, and the next, and the next.

Or maybe your blind party loyalty will keep you convinced that "your guy" is a saint all the while, as long as it's someone from your party that's in power.

Recency bias is always a problem - who knows at this point? But I'm not sure there's a more shallow defense than the "at least he doesn't promote slavery" defense.

Our founding fathers created the impeachment power because they were concerned that somebody vested with the executive power might use that power for their personal benefit, in violation of the public trust. If the allegations against Trump are true, then I can absolutely see how history would hold him out as an example of what the impeachment power was created to protect against. That in and of itself would place him among the worst presidents ever.

Our prior presidents and forefathers who protected, enshrined, and even expanded slavery should absolutely be held to account by history - but, in my opinion, that's a much broader criticism about our nation and founding system of government in general. It's kind of apples and oranges isn't it? None of those slavery-promoting presidents could have possibly been impeached for that conduct. It seems like a different discussion to me.

Side Note:

I repeatedly dive into and court opinions opposite of mine. I do my best to understand where someone is coming from, and I admittedly fail at that too often. I have probably invested way too much of my time, my energy and my sanity in this endeavour. I am flabbergasted at the continued defense of the Trump Administration or indifference towards it.

Simply because I am left with liddle else that makes sense, I am left with having to consider the possible reason for why people ignore that Trump was implicated in the Cohen trial, that he had ten counts of obstruction detailed in the Mueller Report, his displayed racism, his proven sexism, his confessed adultery, his confessed sexual assault, his likely emolument violations, his attacks on American institutions such as the Free Press and our own Intelligence Community, his disregard for our Nations Allies, his displayed admiration for despots, and now his already admitted to solicitation of foreign interference in an election... is because God is real and Trump is an Antichrist.

Of course this doesnt necessarily have to be taken literally, as in the End Times approach, it can be taken metaphorically in that Trump is the exact opposite of everything Christ was and yet has all of that charisma to draw followers to him even beyond any rational considerations.

There's a legitimate psychological reason for a good bit of it. The basic concept is "I voted for Trump, and I'm good, so Trump is good."

I have a friend who regularly says he doesn't like Trump, but he's a huge Trump supporter on Facebook. The only person who is a bigger Trump fan is Trump.

I'm in shock about the complaints that there was never a peaceful transfer of power. All of this is peaceful. Nobody is rioting in the streets or using the military against someone. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's violent.

This morning I'm scrolling through feeds and seeing edgy friends joke around about how there's talk of a Civil War. I should have considered that Tweeto Cheeto would have actually invoked language like that.

What is he even implying? He's the Commander in Chief, but the Joint Chiefs and various Secretaries are never going to just sign on to what essentially would be a partial coup d'état. Is he instead saying that his "Second Amendment People" take matters into their own hands on his behalf?

This is going to start slipping away into real dark territory real quick.

He's only a bad representative if he's acting in a way his constituents dislike. He hasn't really changed at all, and they keep electing him, so it doesn't sound bad to me.

Why? He's hired to represent a specific group, which doesn't include any of us. He doesn't represent California, or America, he represents the people of Kentucky. And they apparently think he represents him well.

McConnell's approval rating in his own state show that just because he wins elections doesn't mean they think he's doing a good job. And yeah, he represents Kentucky, and that's his primary job. As I said I understood that point. But I also very much believe that someone serving at the federal level, especially in a leadership position as powerful as Senate Majority Leader, has a much higher standard of responsibility to his country and I believe he's failing miserably at that. Besides, if every one of his (or anyone's) constituents supported something objectively terrible like slavery (I know, I know, these kinds of hypotheticals are ridiculous but I think it still fits and I also always regret every single time I make a post in this stupid forum), does that mean he should support it too?

Damnit why do I post in here. I can feel like blood pressure rising.

I'm not arguing that he isn't a horrible person, that I wouldn't throw a party if someone beat him or even if he retired, I'm arguing with the specific language used. Spam said he's a horrible representative, which isn't the same thing.

He's second in Washington only to Trump in my opinion, and he's always been that bad. The fact that he's the majority leader actually speaks even worse to Republicans than the sudden fealty to Donnie.

And yes, he's hired to do a specific job, which is represent his constituents. If you don't agree with those constituents, you try to change them and, if that doesn't work, you have the moral fortitude to quit. Same as any job.

I guess that's why we have Congress. But I still feel Congress is full of useless twits. Kentucky is a strange backwoods state. But if Speaker of the House was someone from California there would be much wringing of hands and wrangling because WHOA a libtard is in charge. Eh, it is what it is. But I still dislike McConnell.

Krawlie, I totally get that its frustrating but honestly Brando is right sorta. I still feel McConnell is party over people. In Kentucky it is more about who runs against him.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/10/01/poll-gop-doesnt-believe-trump-talked-biden-ukrainians/3829338002/

And this is why Schiff was a moron for getting creative, the Trumpets defense immediately started about how everything was a lie and now, by this poll at least, only 4 in 10 Republicans even believe Trump mentioned Biden to the Ukraine.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.