The Next Thing I Write

Tank

Now that I am working maybe I will come back to this thread to keep myself accountable... or at the very least prove to myself I am not wasting away.

I am currently on TWO paying jobs. I mentioned in my last update that I had landed a pitch-- that is job one. If anyone is familiar with the website CryptTV, they are a repository of horror short films. They got a big influx of money from an investor and are taking some of their short form IP and giving them a glow up to become full on TV shows.

I can't say which of their things I am working on, but they hired me to write a pilot episode and a show bible, which they will then take out to pitch. If they sell it, then I got a TV show to run. If they don't-- well, it's paying my living expenses into next year so I'm not complaining.

Job two is the video game job-- they finally pressed start. It's still writing dialog scripts like a movie, and the game story follows a 3 act structure-- but that's where the similarities end. I have to actually add the scripts into their concept engine which is a piece of software that allows you to play the game via its storyboards and maps. They build the entire game this way, so they only render and program what needs to be done. I'm swimming in concept art and weekly calls to London. I had to even get a stupid windows machine to run their software, (which I can now use to game). It's been a blast so far-- a lot of work, but fun. Writing alternate story paths is really interesting and is using new brain muscles. I hope I get more game work after this.

Other things... I have two original scripts that have both attached directors and indie level producers, and are going out for potential casting, since everyone is home and reading. My own movie is still in casting limbo as well. Lower budget films live and die by getting the right level names to please financiers.

The 90s thriller I mention above has become the first project for my new agents. After holding out for a year, my agency finally agreed to the WGAs code of conduct (read back pages to see what I am talking about), and when I called my guy up he said they had laid off so many people between covid and losing writers, that they were only taking a few select ones back.

My guy also reps James Gunn and Gary Whitta-- so if we're being frank, he was NEVER going to put me up for a Star War when he has those guys. I jumped to Gersh, who had been trying to poach me for a year or so.

They sent it to directors they rep and Jennifer Lynch (David's daughter) wants to direct it. She was originally going to direct Hell Fest so we worked together before and became friends, so I am amped. This script is right up her alley.

So new agents, working on two jobs, and riding out casting on 4 original scripts. I ain't complaining.

Well I can-- I've tried to get read for Obi-Wan, Last of Us, and Fallout, but they are tiny 1-2 writer rooms. Someday I'll get something top level.

The book I wrote is being looked over by an editor. I had to shell out money for it, but if I am going to do anything with it I need to have my horrible typing fixed by a pro.

Have half a dozen ideas in the back of my head brewing for the next original thing I write. I need a new TV pilot spec now that the Amblin one is dead. I'm guessing in October or November I'll have time to get to it. That's enough time for an idea molecule or two to team up and make something. It's like a background task-- it's in my head, back there and out of the way so it doesn't slow down my paying work... but it's bubbling.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a thing... work is definitely keeping me sane.

Today, both of the paying jobs are out for notes, so I am on hold. My reps are busy with the script they are packaging, and literally everything else is at a stage where things are proceeding, but without my immediate attention. Douche translation-- stuff is contracting with my lawyer and reps.

Book is still with an editor, I have been paid on first steps... so... I have money in the bank, no immediate work today, even if I had something new my reps wouldn't be ready for it, I really shouldn't start something new given how much I have banked up...

So there's literally no reason to not just play video games or watch TV. Zero. This is supposed to be the cool part of being successfully self employed, right?

But I feel weird and guilty not working.

I got put on a new psych med that has made me crazy creative-productive the past week or so, so I get that whole MUST BE BUSY! thing. I’m holding half the projects in my pipeline mostly because I worry people will worry about me launching so much new stuff so fast.

I you ever want a reminder to chill, check out @thenapministry on insta.

• 1 year later...

Wow. I forgot about this thread. I was getting panicky about work recently and looked it up to remind myself I have shit going on, then got busy. 

So since this was last updated... the two jobs I was on up above, both were finished and paid out. The Pilot didn't get set up, cause as I warned the, the concept was a better feature than a TV show. They just made me an offer to rewrite it as a movie, and we're negotiating with them.

The other job was the video game Devil In Me from Supermassive, which comes out this fall. 

In 2021 I jumped onto a new horror anthology show for Blumhouse for Peacock. Worked on it for close to 4 months when Peacock suddenly pulled the plug. They are kind of a joke as a streamer. I actually know several people who had their shows yanked. It was a bit of a struggle as the showrunner (think I mentioned this in the projects thread) was a bit of a toxic bro and was adding gross stuff to my script. BUT, it did pay me my salary for the year and keep my health insurance active.

i spent the rest of the year, and the first half of this year, pitching on writing assignments nonstop, which is exhausting but needed to find work. I also pitched on a Marvel project, and wrote a comedy pilot with "director lady" (see relationship thread). On my own, I wrote a new pilot for myself, a one-hour horror concept that my reps all agree is one of the best things I have produced. We're currently shopping it and I am taking meetings, so fingers crossed. I wish I'd remembered this thread and documented how it came together, cause I'm really happy with it but it's been a blur.

In the last month I've started to worry about money as pitching pays nothing, but in the last two weeks I suddenly have three jobs.

1. A rewrite of a terrible thriller that will likely never get made because they concept is meh. I BSed my way through the pitch and convinced the producers I could fix it. now I actually have to. I'm literally typing this to avoid working on it.

2. Just got an offer in to join the staff of an Amazon animated horror series based on a comic book I love, so I am super excited about that. Just writing one episode of the run, but they're making me a producer and it's solidly weekly pay for a couple months. I can't say what it is yet, but I am pre-apologizing to Icy.

3. Just this morning heard that one of the things I pitched on wants to go with me. Again, can't say what yet, but this is some pretty classic horror IP from the 80s/90s literary world. They need to develop a bit more, and they still need to find a financier to come aboard, so it's a bit away from me working and getting paid, but the IP is sexy enough I'm sure somebody will jump on it. Also, said selling of pitch is on the producers, not me, so no pressure yet.

Once again I'm in the position of right now today, seeing my bank account being very limited for the next few months, but by the end of the year, I may resume house hunting. Maybe. 

49 minutes ago, Iceheart said:

I’m drawing a blank on the animated horror series, but I’m betting the literary horror is Clive Barker. Maybe Stephen King. But I’m feeling Clive Barker.

I know you can’t say, it’s just fun to guess.

It’s from the comic book world

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.