The Next Thing I Write

Tank

Seth, if you ever get to write a Star Wars movie, would you please consult me for tips on how to make it EU-friendly, provided it's in an era prior to Return of the Jedi? I really think it can be done in a way that doesn't trample on your creative freedom and is easier than you'd think. No harm in making everyone happy, right? Rogue One unwittingly did it by a fluke.

if it doesn't turn out to be possible, oh well, at least we tried. No harm in it, I think.

Seth, if you ever get to write a Star Wars movie, would you please consult me for tips on how to make it EU-friendly, provided it's in an era prior to Return of the Jedi? I really think it can be done in a way that doesn't trample on your creative freedom and is easier than you'd think. No harm in making everyone happy, right? Rogue One unwittingly did it by a fluke.

if it doesn't turn out to be possible, oh well, at least we tried. No harm in it, I think.

It used to be a dream to make a Star War-- maybe to some extent the entire reason I first decided I wanted to make movies as a kid.

TBH, it seems like it would be a nightmare. It seems like I'd be rewritten by at least two other writers and the end result would be at least half of fandom hating me and threatening my life.

If the chance does ever come my way and I had a choice, I'd want to jump ahead a few generations. I don't understand franchises like SW and Trek and even Marvel insisting upon prequels all the time. EU or not, it always screws up continuity.

Have you seen The Mandalorian? I think it's EU friendly so long as you consider the rules/code he lives by to be specific to his clan.

I 100% agree. If I were given the chance to write a Star Wars movie, not that Im even in the business or have any talent for it, but in some alternate reality where I did. I'd go far far into the future to a point where the Jedi and indeed even any knowledge of the Force has been completely forgotten. Then have some group discover it. I could basically tell my version of the founding of the Jedi but by doing it in the future I;d be completely unbound by anything existing in the universe.

On the flip side going so very far into the future would maybe make it implausible to use some of the things like Star Destroyers or Storm Troopers, basically the look of Star Wars. Which liek JJ said around the time of TFA "people have been trying to come up with stuff as cool as star destroyers and storm troopers since 1977 and no one has. Id be crazy to not use them when I have the chance".

So I guess positives and negatives.

That's what I've heard about The Mandalorian, but I don't have Disney Plus yet, and probably won't for some time. I am living at home right now and my father is very anti-Disney, like, way more than I. It's unlikely I'll be able to see it until I can get my own place, or see it through some unofficial medium.

I hear you about fan toxicity. I think setting it many years out is a great idea. It's what many people feel they should have done with the new films. Far fewer toes to step on that way.

You should write a group of people from an online messageboard who have known each other through it for years and years and then for the first time all meet. You could deal with the idea of what friendship really is, are these people really friends? The idea of identity, are these people who they seem to be online? Will people who don't get along online get along in real life and vice versa? Have a character who didn;t think these people were friends realize they are. Maybe a character who considered all these people good friends realize that they need to be connected to people offline (not the same people from the board, as they are too spread out) after spending time offline with this group.

All the meetups I've had have gone really well. Even Ryn put up with my wild heathen children running all over the place at our Hawaii resort while I wore a swimsuit and we drank beer.

Ok, there was the one with Brando and Shadowdog where Brando and I kept looking at each other like, buddy if you escape to the bathroom I'm coming with. And I wondered if there were hidden cameras.

As I started reading it, I thought “Oh man, was I that bad?”

I think it was a lot more awkward because ShadowDog was traveling with a friend and that added in a bit of a blind date feel.

Yeah I haven't had a bad planned Nightly meet up either. There was an unexpected run in with Exodus, but it was just unexpected and took me a second to realize who it was, but definitely not bad at all. You guys are all mostly okay and there's several of you I still really want to meet.

Have definitely had some bad non-Nightly meet ups, though.

All the meetups I've had have gone really well. Even Ryn put up with my wild heathen children running all over the place at our Hawaii resort while I wore a swimsuit and we drank beer.

Ok, there was the one with Brando and Shadowdog where Brando and I kept looking at each other like, buddy if you escape to the bathroom I'm coming with. And I wondered if there were hidden cameras.

This makes me happy because I really thought you and Mr Skywalker were uncomfortable at Ray's :)

Yeah I haven't had a bad planned Nightly meet up either. There was an unexpected run in with Exodus, but it was just unexpected and took me a second to realize who it was, but definitely not bad at all. You guys are all mostly okay and there's several of you I still really want to meet.

You west-coasters are so hard to reach, it's REALLY annoying.

As I started reading it, I thought Oh man, was I that bad?

I think it was a lot more awkward because ShadowDog was traveling with a friend and that added in a bit of a blind date feel.

Nah, you were fine. There was just one time that I think you and I exchanged a look like, "Are we being punked?" The friend who didn't know us was definitely a curveball. I know later on, Shadowdog didn't like me very much; he and I just have very different tastes and senses of humor. I really tried to not let it bother me until he started taking digs at me.

Tami, we had a great time with you and Mindy! Mr. Skywalker is just an introvert that knows how to schmooze. Poor guy is stuck in a house with 3 extroverts.

This reminds me that I need to try to see Nanci and her bebe in April when we go back to Florida.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.