Dark Crystal

Odine

I watched the first 2 late last week then didnt have a chance over the weekend. I like it so far and will hopefully get a couple episodes in on Monday.

The only thing that seems off is the Seksis or whatever they are called. One minute they feel like serious villains (and the things they do are serious) then another they feel almost like saturday morning cartoon villains. They just don't always feel right.

Yeah, I don't disagree that is the intention. The difference is Dick Dastardly used to cheat to try to win a race and normally was inept and his own cheating, in fact, lead him to lose races he could have won fairly.

These are villains who do some pretty evil things.

I like this show so not bashing it or anything, just think this is one aspect that doesn't work quite right

Watched 3 and 4. It keeps getting better. I felt they did a better job with the Skeksis overall in these last 2 episodes. That banquet scene was pretty cool. The Hunter is bad ass. I like how the Gelflings are starting to come together, although based on the state of affairs at the start of the original Dark Crystal movie we know this can't really end all that well.

I haven't watched it yet, but a good friend of mine is one of the writer/producers. They actually wrote it over 2 years ago, and it took this long to shoot since it's all practical. He said they basically wanted to make an all-ages Game of Thrones.

Guest XMinusOne

I only have one episode left. What an excellent series. The practical effects and the amount of world building they have done is fantastic. With the amount of time it took them to create this series and that we know it does not end well for the Gelflings, I wonder if this is all they are doing.

In the original film they said that the urSkeks split into Skeksis and Mystics when the crystal cracked. But from what Ive read in this series the Skeksis are an alien race that arrived on the planet and took over. I havent watched the series, but if this is the case they changed the whole origin story.

I felt the same way, until I got about halfway into the show and saw where they were going with it.

They did turn into very typical-alien-"light" beings when their two selves were reunited at the end of the original movie. But you didn't really get the alien-ness of them when you see them after they had almost completely wiped out the dominant species of the planet. The series is set at the very beginning of the Gelfling genocide, and it makes more sense in that context.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.