Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Joker

51 replies to this topic

Odine

Odine

• Supporters
  • 2,419 posts
Still haven't seen it but really wanna

D-Ray Kenobi

D-Ray Kenobi

Back off man, I'm a scientist.

• 15,310 posts

I kind of feel like my thinking on this has changed a bit since I saw it back in the Fall.

I still think it's good.  But Best Picture good?  Not really.  It raises a very empathetic conversation about mental health, but stylistically and thematically it steals literally everything interesting from Scorsese.

Like, how does a movie that's essentially a tribute to Scorsese beat out an actual Scorsese movie in terms of nominations?  Granted, Phoenix had the performance of a lifetime in this and earned his Best Actor nomination, but DeNiro didn't in the actual Scorsese movie?  It's so funny that he was miscast in Joker and had a horrible phoned in performance in that, but yet acted his ass off in The Irishman and got snubbed for it.

I still like Joker, but I don't love it anymore.  It just feels like if it weren't for all of the Oscar nomination love, its biggest cultural significance would have been having its posters hung up in every Freshman dorm room.

Reply to this topic