Joker

Guest El Chalupacabra

I'll watch it someday if I have nothing else to do and there are no movies that I want to see our books I wan to to read and somebody else wants to watch it and I can fall asleep.

Allthough.. I kind of don't like origins films. I don't need to know how he becomes the joker. That just humanises him too much. He's far more terrifying as a crooked question mark. I just like a compelling character. He's gonna be a damn sight better than Jared Leto.

I like Joaquin as an actor quite a lot but I have less than zero interest in this.

Same here. The focus on villains as leads, whether in comics or on film never appealed to me, and of all DC villains, the Joker is one who needs a long vacation. Like a decade.

I'm a little surprised, a Joker movie that most posters are "meh" about. I agree, though. This looks like it'll be an okay Taxi Driver homage. But as a Joker film... the trailer makes him look like a hapless dope, which is fine, we've seen that in Killing Joke, but those were quick flashbacks. I'm not super enthused on watching "guy gets kicked around by society until he learns to throw it back in society's face" sorta thing. And I know people bitch about it all time but, as with Gotham (TV show), but I just don't give **** about periphery, origin-driven, Batman-sans-Batman stories. It always begs the question and in this case is taking a major piece out the Joker's very existence. This is assuming that this predates Batman's existence, which it looks to be. The Joker is meant to be an anarchic middle finger, ironic cracked mirror reflection of Batman's costumed vigilantism. I'm not interested in the character as a zero-to-hero Guy Fawkes parallel.

Interesting point. Hmm. However unless my recollection is faulty, Guy Fawkes was attacking the Gov and not running around murdering people because he felt like there was a point to that.

This film, to me, feels like it is blending Se7en with Falling Down. Like you though, Brett, I am wary of the Batman-Without-Batman premises. Especially in this films case where there does not appear to be a foil to confront the madness. At the very least I would expect Gordon to be the moral foil, or someone like him.

Again, I am pretty intrigued by the trailer and yet the responses to it (if any of you have seen those) do concern me that the point the story might be making is getting skewed by the apparent lack of a moral foil.

For decades everyone was all "Mark Hamill nailed the voice, but is too old/fat to be the Joker."

He could do it now just as easily as Jack Nicholsen did... especially now that Star Wars has boosted his star power back up.

But at the end of the day, DC has wronged me too many times on film, and confused me with endless watered-down multiverse stories on TV (and in print) to get me to care.

I still haven't seen JL. This looks like it could be decent, but like I said-- it's next year home-view for me.

I think the casting of Phoenix was a brilliant choice. No better idea than to pick one lunatic to portray one! I'm looking forward to seeing this and hoping for a DKR-type scene where we get to see Robert De Niro die a gruesome death at the hands of Joker. That's worth the price of admission right there.

Imdb: 9.7

Ign: 10/10

Empire: 5/5

IndieWire: 5/5

Guardian: 5/5

LondonEveningStandard: 5/5

Deadline Hollywood: 5/5

Forbes: says it is a masterpiece

DailyTelegraph: 5/5

L.A times: 5/5

Süddeutsche Zeitung: 10/10

Variety: 5/5

HollywoodReporter: 10/10

CinemaBlend: 10/10

NerdReactor: 5/5

Nerdist: 4,5/5

Think I'm gonna check this out, yessiree

Imdb: 9.7

Ign: 10/10

Empire: 5/5

IndieWire: 5/5

Guardian: 5/5

LondonEveningStandard: 5/5

Deadline Hollywood: 5/5

Forbes: says it is a masterpiece

DailyTelegraph: 5/5

L.A times: 5/5

Süddeutsche Zeitung: 10/10

Variety: 5/5

HollywoodReporter: 10/10

CinemaBlend: 10/10

NerdReactor: 5/5

Nerdist: 4,5/5

Think I'm gonna check this out, yessiree

I've been optimistic since day one and each passing day I think it's going to be DC's best movie in a loooong time.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.