TROS poster and D23 trailer

Darth Krawlie

Nightly is generally a safe place but I'd be careful about reading "theories" elsewhere from this point forward. Lots of plot floating around. Not quite as much as TFA just yet, but I'm sure its coming.

I just read a full plot synopsis "leak" on instagram. Have no idea about it's legitimacy but it isn't the worst thing I've read by a long chalk.

Yeah, I think it's officially out there now.

So I'd definitely be staying away from any "speculation" if that's the route you wanna take.

Anyone else feel, based on what we know, that this feels more like a standalone capper to the saga rather than Episode IX? What I mean is the main conflicts of the first 2 movies are First Order vs Resistance and Kylo Ren vs Rey. It feels like those conflicts may get short changed in favor of the Emperor. Obviously we see footage of Kylo vs Rey, so its not completely forgotten or anything. But TFO vs Resistance? Seems like that could get washed away.

I kinda wish we had gotten a IX that was really concerned with finishing off the conflicts of this trilogy specifically. Then get an Episode X that is sort of the capper of the trilogy of trilogies that tries to bring them all together.

Hopefully Im completely wrong and JJ has figured out a way to bring a satisfying resolution to the events of TFA and TLJ. Then on top of that tie everything together for the whole saga.

I've kind of divorced myself from the idea of "Star Wars" these days. In that I know my conceptual idea of star wars is firmly tied to the OT, some games and novels and certain scenes from the PT. That's where my investment kind of ends. The ST, for me, is basically the avengers or a marvel movie with a Star Wars makeover. They get the aesthetics right but the soul is totally missing to me. So really, I could give two sh!ts what they do with the franchise at this point. I'll go see it as a self contained film with very low expectations other than being entertained for a couple hours. And with that attitude I hope to enjoy the conclusion to the saga.

Disney+ sounds great to me, but I have kids and it's for families. I'm interested in Obi-Wan because Ewan was one of the few great things about the prequels, and he genuinely enjoys the role.

Disney+ sounds great to me, but I have kids and it's for families. I'm interested in Obi-Wan because Ewan was one of the few great things about the prequels, and he genuinely enjoys the role.

Actually you make a good point.

I am more interested in what can be done with long format live action series and Star Wars. The medium is so much better for storytelling, I really hope the Mandalorian and the Kenobi series are excellent. I'm more interested in those than the movies.

I've kind of divorced myself from the idea of "Star Wars" these days. In that I know my conceptual idea of star wars is firmly tied to the OT, some games and novels and certain scenes from the PT. That's where my investment kind of ends. The ST, for me, is basically the avengers or a marvel movie with a Star Wars makeover. They get the aesthetics right but the soul is totally missing to me. So really, I could give two sh!ts what they do with the franchise at this point. I'll go see it as a self contained film with very low expectations other than being entertained for a couple hours. And with that attitude I hope to enjoy the conclusion to the saga.

Being entertained for a couple yours if the only expectation I have of any movie, ever.

Yeah... I think too many of us, myself included, have at times put Star Wars on a pedestal where we expect way too much out of every little detail and force ourselves to be disappointed if its not absolutely incredible.

Its fine to overanalyze, I'm obviously guilty of that.

Really my point is that my post from a few days ago. These movies are basically 3 things happening again and again

1-someone is taken prisoner and needs rescuing

2-a massive, planned out attack on some sort of station or ship

3-the bad guys chasing the good guys so the good guys are fleeing.

Throw in #4, an obvious one, lightsaber duals.

Those 4 things make up the spine and majority of all of the movies. We can analyze it beyond that but those are the basic ingredients here.

Without a doubt. What Im saying is not any kind of amazing discovery. Its not a criticism. It just is what it is. And it was meant to bring me back to earth when I didnt like the Emperor being brought back. I realized there will be some kind of strong Force user with a huge military who has to be beaten. It really doesn't matter if that robed Force user is Snoke or Kylo Ren or the Emperor. Whats the difference?

Yeah... I think too many of us, myself included, have at times put Star Wars on a pedestal where we expect way too much out of every little detail and force ourselves to be disappointed if its not absolutely incredible.

I mean, it's less about the details to me and more about the feel.

When I first saw star wars I was six or seven or something. I lived in a small town in New Zealand where nothing ever happens. The furthest town in the furthest country from any bright centre of the world. My mum left my dad when I was three or so, so I had no real father figure, I did get a step dad when I was five but I was always acutely aware he wasn't my real dad, who became this shadowy mythic figure to me. You can see the parallels no? When I saw Luke, I felt like I was watching a fantastical version of myself. He even had sandy hair and blue eyes (kinda green but whatever) like myself. He was everything I wanted to be and do. Leave the shithole town and follow in his father's footsteps. So those movies stuck with me and resonated so strongly, of course they are on a pedestal of sorts. Star Wars raised me as much as the communities I've lived in did. I'm sure there are millions of people with the same connection to it.

So yeah, nothing ever will match that obviously. Hopefully the ST is strong enough to resonate with a young girl or boy somewhere who has the same connection I felt to Luke and the story of the OT. Somehow, I can't help but feel like they (the ST) don't have that same magic to kids these days.

You are basically making my point. Star Wars isn't a movie to us, its a memory. It's XMas at your grandparents or Fourth of July with your cousins at the beach. These movies can't be that to us. In fact it would be strange if it were.

Your other point about kids having that same feeling I'll put this way. I think during the OT that Star Wars was in alot of ways one of a kind. That's what made it so powerful and so pervasive among so many kids. Nowadays there are alot of different things that can fill that role in a kids life. Some kids love Marvel, some love Harry Potter, some love Star Wars. When we were kids nearly everyone loved Star Wars. Now it is only a portion of kids as there are other good things out there for kids to latch onto. However I do believe that there are a large segment of kids who do feel the way about Star Wars we did, or near enough to that. Just not as many kids because as I said there are other things kids can be obsessed with.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.