TROS poster and D23 trailer

Darth Krawlie

If Death Star (planet obliterating) weapons can be installed onto a starship... how fan fiction does that feel? lol That feels like it should remove anything that was special about the ultimate weapon thing, the massive size and implications of how much energy it needs. The artificial construct of the Empire was the size of a moon, the First Order version was a cyborged-planet. Then now its like just on a ship? Eh.

If Death Star (planet obliterating) weapons can be installed onto a starship... how fan fiction does that feel? lol That feels like it should remove anything that was special about the ultimate weapon thing, the massive size and implications of how much energy it needs. The artificial construct of the Empire was the size of a moon, the First Order version was a cyborged-planet. Then now its like just on a ship? Eh.

Rather than getting bigger, maybe the First Order's superweapon should've gone smaller from the start. Like how our cell phones now have more power than the first computer in the 50's that was the size of a room.

On the fleet

It's the Empire/Sith fleet that was out in the Unknown Regions after the collapse of the Empire after the battle of Jakku as part of Palpatine's "backup plan." This is where those red sith troopers from that leaked poster a while back come from. There is some question I guess as to whether they're fully with Kylo, or if they are coming to re-assert themselves aside from Kylo's first order after he cleared the way.

On the fleet

It's the Empire/Sith fleet that was out in the Unknown Regions after the collapse of the Empire after the battle of Jakku as part of Palpatine's "backup plan." This is where those red sith troopers from that leaked poster a while back come from. There is some question I guess as to whether they're fully with Kylo, or if they are coming to re-assert themselves aside from Kylo's first order after he cleared the way.

This would open up so many questions. Like who is funding this fleet for the past couple decades? The Empire was a government and could tax. Who is like feeding these guys? There must be tens of thousands of men. Also are they all gonna be old men now? Its been liek 20 years since that war ended, have the crew all aged a couple decades so the youngest among them are in their 40s? Or have they continued recruit new men? Have the men met women and they reproduced and their kids are now part of the army?

My guess is Kylo is struggling to keep control of the Galaxy, these guys offer their help which he accepts. Turns out they were just using him to get themselves back into the fold. This leaves Kylo friendless and seeking revenge, so he ends up somehow teaming with the good guys. However at the very end his true colors re-emerge and he tries to grab power for himself. Forcing Rey to kill him.

It's funny, when I first became convinced there would be a planet destroying super weapon in TFA I really didn't like it. It was one of the few things I didn't like even after seeing the movie. Then when I saw it as a possibility for this movie I was even more disappointed. However after rolling it around in my mind I've discovered it doesn't matter at all.

Star Wars in alot of ways is essentially 3 different plots repeating themselves again and again. Why does it matter if there is another super weapon? Why does it matter if that one thing is repeated when so much else already is?

The three plots are

1-A character is being held prisoner and needs to be rescued. Every single Episode has a good guy being held captive by the bad guys. Every single one. In some cases it is the driving force behind the entire plot like in ANH. In others its a way to start out the movie like n ROTS, ROTJ or TPM. Still other times its a device to sort of bring all the characters to a certain point near the climax like in AOTC, ESB, TFA. In all 8 movies there are characters being held prisoner in 7 of the 8 they need to be rescued by their friends or allies. This happens over and over again.

2-The bad guys are dominant and the good guys just are trying to flee. Like with #1 this can be the driving force behind the whole or much of the movie like in ESB and TLJ. It happens though to at least some extent in TPM, ANH, TFA as well. Not quite as prevelant as #1 but it happens over and over again too.

3-The bad guys have some sort of weapon or ship that needs to be taken out. Obviously this plays a major role in the climax of TPM, ANH, ROTJ, TFA. It plays an important role in the opening sequence of TLJ when they take out the Dreadnaught. It happens again and again. Here is the thing though, once youve already had 3 of those weapons have this crazy power to blow up a planet it becomes awfully hard to scale back those consequences. Hard ot be like "this is the climax of the story but the thing we need to blow up isn't nearly as scary as the last 3 things we blew up.

I can even apply this in other ways. At first I hated the idea of the Emperor coming back but now it doesn't bother me. There is going to be some super powerful bad guy with a powerful military who needs to be dealt with. It doesn't matter in alot of ways if its Snoke or Kylo or the Emperor. I don't really care if there is a great explanation for the Emperor's return. Just like I don't care if someone is prisoner and needs to be rescued again, if the good guys are chased across the galaxy or if they have to blow up another super weapon.

What does matter is if that rescue attempt, escape from danger, attack on the super weapon, battle with the evil leader is fun, exciting, tense. In short if it is good. Mix that in with some decent "this is your destiny, blah blah blah" and you have a great Star Wars movie.

Just showed the new teaser to my three youngest. The movie is being made for them, and those like them. I will admit that seeing their immediate reaction to everything, the Dark Side, the switchblade, humbled my heart quite a bit. I got misty. Maybe my inner child has become too quiet, or my adult self at least in regards to Star Wars has become too jaded.

Yep. Totally.

My oldest (hes 21 years old now) loved the PT as a kid, now though, hes as jaded about it as the majority of us. I know theyre not good, and as we all get older we tend to look at our childhood stuff and think what the hell were we thinking, but at the same time I have wondered if my reaction to them took some magic away from them for him. I do my best to pull back on my inner critic when my younger ones are around now because of that. Especially my daughter who adores Rey.

It is definitely a fall back argument in a lot of cases and I don't think it necessarily means it's something that voids criticism but it's true, it is aimed at a young adult/generation. Lucas did say that a lot during the prequels but I don't see it being one of his retrospective points to the saga - he said the same thing a lot during the making of the originals. But in saying that, it being aimed at that crowd isn't for pure reasons. It's a lot easier to sell movie merchandise when the kids who watch your films hassle their parents for the toys.

Just showed the new teaser to my three youngest. The movie is being made for them, and those like them. I will admit that seeing their immediate reaction to everything, the Dark Side, the switchblade, humbled my heart quite a bit. I got misty. Maybe my inner child has become too quiet, or my adult self at least in regards to Star Wars has become too jaded.

But are you Mara jaded?

Nightly is generally a safe place but I'd be careful about reading "theories" elsewhere from this point forward. Lots of plot floating around. Not quite as much as TFA just yet, but I'm sure its coming.

I just read a full plot synopsis "leak" on instagram. Have no idea about it's legitimacy but it isn't the worst thing I've read by a long chalk.

Obviously in the PT days I would take any spoiler I could get. I think my daily internet rituals started with checking for Star Wars news.

I was 50/50 with TFA, super into it, but somewhere along the way I fell off. I wasn't spoiler free for TLJ, but I had only read a few things here and there. I thought it might help me like the movie more, but I don't know that it did.

At this stage of TRS I don't know anything plot related. I know location and character stuff, but all I know about the story is the rumor it's a bit of a scavenger hunt, and the (what I assume to be bunk) time travel rumor (which I maintain if true will all be force visions).

I think that now that I work in film I see enough of how the sausage is made with any movie that I'm more inclined to be spoiler free.

I'm not rabid about it, I'm not unfriending people who post rumors or not reading everything here-- but I'm not digging for it either

I stayed spoiler free, at least to a large part, for most of the movies except TFA, back when we were trying to run a spoiler site to get traffic here. But I have very little interest in watching this one, so I'm actually more likely to read spoilers and rumors.

Spoilers do not bother me, as its not as if I am chewing fingernails with nervous excitement about any of the so-called "event" films that are on the schedule. Most are predictable beyond belief, and although I have not browsed any ROS spoilers, I'm betting my own casual theories lean closer to what will be in the film (same thing happened with Endgame) than not.

At this point, my only "concern" is whether Finn remains a marginalized token for the entire ST, or will they do something with him before the end credits (something that builds on what was once his reason to be from TFA).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.