Ewan McGreggor coming back as Obi-Wan

Darth Krawlie

Pretty much everything I want out of Star Wars. Vader bringing down the ship was basically the Force Unleashed and I’m loving it. 

I’ve actually really liked the music in this series and glad they’ve avoided reusing the themes too much, but a little Imperial March as Vader was walking through the hallways to the ship would of been a nice cherry on top. 

So I’m guessing next Obi Wan decides to confront Vader again to try a last ditch attempt at bringing him back? 

Throw away scene - just intended to give hope to Ben? These are the Jedi who have handed them in and gone into hiding?

Or maybe (and more likely), the opposite and they are from Fallen Jedi?  

Half expected him to have taken one and be using it at some point…

95CC1DC6-8949-4377-8927-B74020BA6281.jpeg

Everyone on earth expected Reva to be a surviving youngling, but I doubt anyone guessed she was actually working against Vader. At least no one I saw. Nice twist.

Anakin beating down Obi-Wan during the training duel the same way Luke beats down Vader in ROTJ was awesome. 

When was that shot of all the lightsabers? I missed it

2 hours ago, Darth Krawlie said:

Everyone on earth expected Reva to be a surviving youngling, but I doubt anyone guessed she was actually working against Vader. At least no one I saw. Nice twist.

Did Vader also know she was going to betray him but he just used her as a means to get to Kenobi, or he just knew she was a youngling? I’m guessing the former with the GI coming out as a reveal. Really well played out.  

This show is just so much fun and entertaining. You just don't want to pick it apart at all, eventhough there are a few things. I don't love the incredible shows of Force power like Vader keeping the ship down. Also, and this is an ongoing Star Wars complain, villains just can't die. The Grand Inquisitor survived and Reva will Im sure survive. These are minor concerns though when watching something that is overall just so satisfying to watch.

I loved Obi Wan saying there are other ways to fight. A very Star Wars message. Also though he used Reva as a sacrificial lamb. He knew she had no chance to defeat Vader. It's very easy to see Reva as just a lost soul, hating both sides in this conflict. The Jedi failed her. Anakin killed her friends. Obi Wan used her to help others survive. She really has a chance, depending on the final episode, on becoming a truly tragic and great character. 

Overall I think this was the best episode of Star Wars tv ever. Hopefully topped next week!

2 hours ago, Darth Krawlie said:

Anakin beating down Obi-Wan during the training duel the same way Luke beats down Vader in ROTJ was awesome. 

When was that shot of all the lightsabers? I missed it

Yeah, I didn't see that coming. Although I did kinda think why she would be so keen on working for a guy who killed all her youngling friends. And I figured we'd probably get some explanation for that, but I figured it would just be she was twisted to blame the Jedi and think Anakin/Vader was right and the Jedi deserved it. 

On 6/8/2022 at 1:27 AM, Dark Wader said:

I think they’re going a bit overboard on the lightsaber saturation effects. 

That's because the technology now exists that they can actually stunt duel with glowing blades. In ANH they had a practical effect where the blades were coated in reflective material. They had some shimmer to them on set but ultimately didn't look great so they animated the blades. In ESB through ROTS they were just sticks that were animated in post. In AOTC and ROTS they had glowing practical blades they'd use in close up shots to show off the light, but they were too fragile to duel with. 

Point being-- instead of just animating a thin rod with a glowing effect, you have much thicker actually glowing rods then are also animated, so yeah-- they look thicker and brighter. If you look closely, in the background of the Order 66 scene (and a long shot of Luke in Mando S2) you can see blades that were not animated and just have the practical glow.

15 hours ago, Dark Wader said:

So I’m guessing next Obi Wan decides to confront Vader again to try a last ditch attempt at bringing him back? 

That would then check off everything on the list. In this week's flashback, Anakin learned a lesson, and it was placed in context with Vader being tricked as Obi-Wan got away. I think this is a soft way to create a reference for the "but the learned" line in ANH.

That kinda just leaves the "Obi-Wan once thought as you do," line. With Reva making Ben realize he doesn't want to kill Vader tells me we totally need this moment next.

1 hour ago, Dark Wader said:

Did Vader also know she was going to betray him but he just used her as a means to get to Kenobi, or he just knew she was a youngling? I’m guessing the former with the GI coming out as a reveal. Really well played out.  

I think we're at the place where Vader trusts no one. He was ready for her to deliver, but also betray him. Even though the Inquisitors are fake Sith (even Lucasfilm hates the 2 Sith rule), the idea that dark-siders will always betray each other in a play for power continues to hold true. The Inquisition dies off right in line with the Jedi. In Rebels and Outcast  we continue to see it-- every time a Jedi is caught and killed, an Inquisitor generally goes down with them. I wouldn't be surprised if we're informed at some point in the mythos that once it seemed like all the Jedi were gone, Vader and Palpatine did away with the last of the Inquisitors as they would be a threat.

1 hour ago, The Choc said:

Yeah, I didn't see that coming. 

I did. BUT WHAT DO I KNOW.

Overall, I want to love this show... and I do... but the production level and scope of it just feels so TV to me that it lacks the magic and feel of Star Wars on the big screen.   Star Wars has ALWAYS represented the biggest possible productions, with top of the line effects. It was always meant to set a bar. But when you compare the scope of this show to Stranger Things or Strange New Worlds, it feels like a video game cut scene.

At the end of the day, I want to live in the alternate universe where the PT started with the Clone Wars, then became this show.

I like it, I really do-- but it does feel on the same level as the EU in terms of "counting" in my soul.

I don't WANT to be this way...

I think knowing how the sausage is made really effects my enjoyment sometimes. It's really hard for me to watch Obi-Wan and just see right and left how little money they had. All the problems this show has, even the ones people don't agree on, are 100% budgetary.

You'd think being Obi-Wan they'd throw all the money at it, but it seems like only Mando gets money. This show and BOBF are bargain productions.

No doubt... but do we NEED a season 2? This is kind of the problem with Star Wars, right? We don't NEED to force another story in there and stretch the credibility of continuity even more. Unless they do something totally different it just waters down the magic even more.

Kennedy just came out and basically admitted it was a wrong step to try and inhabit the same space around the known saga. It sounds like Taiki Watitti's film is going to be a shift to a new story completely removed from the Skywalker saga. That, to me, is the way to go. Kind of like Next Generation did for Star Trek. Give us a new era, new characters, and slowly spin off from there.

1 hour ago, Tank said:

I don't WANT to be this way...

I think knowing how the sausage is made really effects my enjoyment sometimes. It's really hard for me to watch Obi-Wan and just see right and left how little money they had. All the problems this show has, even the ones people don't agree on, are 100% budgetary.

You'd think being Obi-Wan they'd throw all the money at it, but it seems like only Mando gets money. This show and BOBF are bargain productions.

For the most part, I am not bothered by it, but I see in some scenes what you are talking about.  For example, the siege of 10 stormtroopers and tight angles just made it look cheap.  Especially when it is a scene that somewhat echoes the siege in The Last Jedi (or Hoth for that matter), it just looked very TV.  

But if I can still be entertained by old Trek or Babylon 5, I am good with Kenobi.   But I do see your point, and wish they had spent a little more money on some scenes. 

Holy crap, Vader just straight up stopping the ship from taking off with the Force was a pretty badass moment! Also, his fight with Reva showed just how unimpressive the Inquisitors are against a trained Sith. Good enough to impress the rubes but when it comes down to it, they're just not that good.

The TV shows will always be like "low fat" or "non alcoholic" Star Wars. Which is fine, they can still make something really good. But it will never be the same as being in a sold out theater opening night when it gets dark "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..." comes on the screen and then the main title theme hits. 

10 hours ago, Lord Darth Hunter said:

The more shows/films they make, the worse I feel for Qui Gon. He seems to be the only one who can’t survive a wound to the gut. 

Agreed! Has she got 2 stomachs as well??? ;-)

Rumours are the final episode could be a beefy length.. pure speculation based on the cinema timings for the series and a bit of math being done here:

https://insidethemagic.net/2022/06/kenobi-finale-might-be-the-longest-star-wars-episode-ever-made-kb1/

Also, anyone spot that the final “I” in the title page is his lightsaber? Can’t believe I didn’t notice it!

6BDDA252-F063-47C0-B794-8E7E7FA2E7E1.jpeg

Shame about Tala I thought - liked her character and there was a nice bond with Kenobi.
About 2 mins before it happened, I allowed myself to think that maybe, just maybe, the 2 of them could have some time together back in exile on Tatooine before she passes away prior to ANH…

Then BOOM! Dead. I blame myself…

15 hours ago, Lord Darth Hunter said:

The more shows/films they make, the worse I feel for Qui Gon. He seems to be the only one who can’t survive a wound to the gut. 

Its only villains who can survive anything in Star Wars. Heroes not so much. 

On 6/9/2022 at 1:30 PM, Hobbes said:

Reva shows some signs of empathy and mercy here and there and one the younglings was a Black female--so maybe in the end she realizes Vader doesn't care about her and she sacrifices herself to help Kenobi and Leah escape.

Called it...well...I was close.

Anyways, I really WANT to like this--but I just cannot get past characters making stupid decisions so the plot is advanced--to me that is just lazy writing.  There were sooo many in this episode but it might have the single dumbest decision in the history of the franchise...

"Hey Obi-Wan Kenobi--Bail Antilles here, I am worried about you and Darth Vader's secret daughter Leia.   Should I go to Tatooine to check on Vader's other secret kid, Luke, at the Lars homestead?"

No amount of there being a secret rebel spy designing the Death Star with a secret design flaw that can explain that stupid message away.

On 6/16/2022 at 9:33 AM, Tank said:

Point being-- instead of just animating a thin rod with a glowing effect, you have much thicker actually glowing rods then are also animated, so yeah-- they look thicker and brighter. If you look closely, in the background of the Order 66 scene (and a long shot of Luke in Mando S2) you can see blades that were not animated and just have the practical glow.

Yeah it just seemed in the 4th episode that the glow from the lightsabre was amped up a bit more than it has been recently, more than this weeks for example. There was one bit where Obi Wan was in a corridor and the whole screen felt over saturated with blue.

(Though probably worth noting I do live with someone who likes to f**k the colour settings on the TV, so it could be that…)

1 hour ago, Dark Wader said:

Though probably worth noting I do live with someone who likes to f**k the colour settings on the TV, so it could be that…)

Unacceptable. This is the modern version of dad's getting worked up when somebody touches the thermostat. If I am ever at somebody's house and they have the motion blur filters on their TV I turn them off when they leave the room.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.