Jump to content

Ewan McGreggor coming back as Obi-Wan


Darth Krawlie
 Share

Recommended Posts

I’ve seen a lot of complaints about the laser gate. Why didn’t Obi Wan just walk around it instead of spending time disabling it? I didn’t care about it one bit. But when I saw that, I just knew, could’ve bet major cash on it, that this would become a huge sore spot for people. Sure enough, it’s all over the place. Those are the kinds of things I wish the filmmakers would think about so as not to give these people something to latch on to. 

6300D947-9CA7-4C69-81AC-A8A80EF94B6C.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/1/2022 at 9:27 PM, Tank said:

My guess is Vader will get meaner, Obi-Wan will grow less afraid, then try to appeal to Anakin on last time to try and turn him back. That will fail when Vader just doubles down on being worse. They'll fight, and it will be the reverse of Mustafar when Vader will walk away thinking he has won and Obi-Wan is dead.

Wouldn't this kind of mess up the line in ANH "When I left you I was the learner, now I am the master"? I feel like to make sense, Obi should soundly beat Vader one more time to show he still has some tricks Vader doesn't anticipate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The more anyone thinks about how this series story could or should end in order to fit with the already established story then the more likely this series will seem weird, maybe even pointless. Like most geeky stories, prequels and sequels etc regardless of franchise.

It’s probably why fans get hung up on ideas like the Youngling Slayer 9000, laser gates, EVA suits, the minutiae. They’re distractions from the feeling that we know the well is dry but we’re still trying to draw more water.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Lord Darth Hunter said:

I’ve seen a lot of complaints about the laser gate. Why didn’t Obi Wan just walk around it instead of spending time disabling it? I didn’t care about it one bit. But when I saw that, I just knew, could’ve bet major cash on it, that this would become a huge sore spot for people. Sure enough, it’s all over the place. Those are the kinds of things I wish the filmmakers would think about so as not to give these people something to latch on to. 

6300D947-9CA7-4C69-81AC-A8A80EF94B6C.jpeg

Counterpoint: they should do more to annoy fans who are annoyed by stuff like this. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, CoLA said:

Wouldn't this kind of mess up the line in ANH "When I left you I was the learner, now I am the master"? I feel like to make sense, Obi should soundly beat Vader one more time to show he still has some tricks Vader doesn't anticipate.

I always took that line to mean “when I left the Jedi Order.” Vader is referring to the point in time when he betrayed the Jedi and decided to follow Palpatine’s Sith ways. That’s why in Revenge of the Sith post-betrayal, Anakin talks about his new powers and in the OT he continually reminds Luke about the power of the dark side. That’s what his point-of-view in ANH was when he said that line to Obi Wan. It wasn’t a literal, “last time we fought” line. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Lord Darth Hunter said:

I always took that line to mean “when I left the Jedi Order.” Vader is referring to the point in time when he betrayed the Jedi and decided to follow Palpatine’s Sith ways. That’s why in Revenge of the Sith post-betrayal, Anakin talks about his new powers and in the OT he continually reminds Luke about he power of the dark side. That’s what his point-of-view in ANH was when he said that line to Obi Wan. It wasn’t a literal, “last time we fought” line. 

It just seems like a weird thing to say if they had fought again already. It's like Vader is George Costanza in  that Seinfeld episode, "That's what I should have said!"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/6/2022 at 1:06 PM, CoLA said:

Wouldn't this kind of mess up the line in ANH "When I left you I was the learner, now I am the master"? I feel like to make sense, Obi should soundly beat Vader one more time to show he still has some tricks Vader doesn't anticipate.

So far, it looks like he hasn't had anything to do with the force for 10 years, so that he can keep from being discovered. It would be like Klitschko coming out of retirement to face off again with Tyson Fury. He'd get destroyed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sneaked in episode 4 before starting work. Got to avoid those spoilers!

On the above post, agreed and there is a scene with him trying to get his force powers going again. Nice episode giving Kenobi a good bit of lightsaber action and Leia was immense in this one.

From memory, this base was quite beat up at the end of Fallen Order, but guess it’s all been repaired in the 5 years since the events of that game.

The “Tomb” scene was eerie. Wonder if we will hear more on that in this or is it a teaser for something else - TV or games?

Only 2 to go though… seems a lot to cover so maybe those rumours of a second season are true?
Sadest part of the week now as it’s the longest point to the next episode… :-(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It felt like there was a bit of stuff cut from the start of the episode. Obi Wan goes into the tank, pops out too early then suddenly convincing some folks to launch a rescue and off they were all in about 5 mins. 

Overall enjoyed the episode and no real complaints, just the vibe of it after last weeks seemed a bit odd. 

Though I think they’re going a bit overboard on the lightsaber saturation effects. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Reva turning Leia’s droid into a tracker reminds me of Vader putting a tracker on the Falcon in ANH. I liked the callback. Otherwise though, I think Reva kinda sucks as a villain. Everything she does kinda fails. 
 

I was kinda hoping to see a recognizable prequel Jedi in the tomb, like Ki-Adi Mundi or someone, but I didn’t miss it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Darth Krawlie said:

Reva turning Leia’s droid into a tracker reminds me of Vader putting a tracker on the Falcon in ANH. I liked the callback. Otherwise though, I think Reva kinda sucks as a villain. Everything she does kinda fails. 
 

I was kinda hoping to see a recognizable prequel Jedi in the tomb, like Ki-Adi Mundi or someone, but I didn’t miss it.

Most prequel era Jedi we know were killed in Order 66 in ROTS. I think the Jedi there are ones killed directly by the Inquisitors.

I thought another really fun episode. The show is just really good and entertaining. As for Reva failing the same can be said for nearly all villains. I mean look at Vader. He is tracking down Leia to start ANH, sends an attachment down to get the droids. They fail. He allows Obi Wan to distract him so the good guys can escape. His plan to track the Falcon to the rebel base fails spectacularly when it leads directly to the Death Star being blown up.

Even in ESB, crawl says he is obsessed with Luke. Tries to get him on Hoth, don't work. Tries to chase down the Falcon, can't get them. He hires bounty hunters, the one good idea he has. But even then his plan to use Leia and company as bait fails as Luke gets away anyway. ,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s true, and maybe another part of it is that we KNOW she can’t/won’t succeed because of the films, but I’ve never felt a threat by her or any of the Inquisitors. I either said it earlier in this thread or maybe it was on Twitter, but they’re all toothless. I’m still really enjoying this show though, I just don’t care about the villains as anything more than an obstacle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Darth Krawlie said:

It’s true, and maybe another part of it is that we KNOW she can’t/won’t succeed because of the films, but I’ve never felt a threat by her or any of the Inquisitors. I either said it earlier in this thread or maybe it was on Twitter, but they’re all toothless. I’m still really enjoying this show though, I just don’t care about the villains as anything more than an obstacle.

That is a problem with fitting shows into existing stories. We know Obi Wan and Leia are both gonna be fine. The Tarla character obviously could die but thats such small potatoes compared to iconic characters like Obi Wan and Leia. 

The show really is about Obi Wan finding himself though so he goes from the beaten down man at the start of this series to the guy ready and willing to join the fight in ANH. I think its doing a good job of that.

I also thought the scene where he rescues Leia in the dark was really cool and well done. His whole escape from the base was cool and its pretty cool to see a Jedi fight like that in live action against enemies who are also live action. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Darth Krawlie said:

Reva turning Leia’s droid into a tracker reminds me of Vader putting a tracker on the Falcon in ANH. I liked the callback. Otherwise though, I think Reva kinda sucks as a villain. Everything she does kinda fails. 
 

I was kinda hoping to see a recognizable prequel Jedi in the tomb, like Ki-Adi Mundi or someone, but I didn’t miss it.

Yeah I am not seeing all the hype for Reva, either.  Serviceable as a lackey villain I suppose, but she is not all that interesting to me.   That said, I also thought of ANH with the droid tracker.  Not a complaint really because the only villain I care about in this series is Vader.  He is badass in this. 

As for the tomb, I didn't see any jedi I recognized, either.  There was a lingering shot on one jedi creature that seemed like we were supposed to know who it was, which I first thought was Jar Jar, but I was wrong.  Probably from TCW if I were a betting man.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m out. I thought I could get back into Star Wars, but I just can’t. Leia is great in this, Obi-Wan is of course great, I dig Conman Jedi and Reva. Anyway, hope it keeps on being cool for y’all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Zathras said:

Yeah I am not seeing all the hype for Reva, either.  Serviceable as a lackey villain I suppose, but she is not all that interesting to me.   That said, I also thought of ANH with the droid tracker.  Not a complaint really because the only villain I care about in this series is Vader.  He is badass in this. 

As for the tomb, I didn't see any jedi I recognized, either.  There was a lingering shot on one jedi creature that seemed like we were supposed to know who it was, which I first thought was Jar Jar, but I was wrong.  Probably from TCW if I were a betting man.   

I recognized the first one they showed but I had to look up his name because I couldn't remember it. That was Tera Sinube and he showed up a few times in the Clone Wars show, his only big appearance was an episode where Ahsoka lost her lightsaber to a thief.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Reva is a smart villian.  

  • Abducting Leia to trick Kenobi
  • The knife trick to find the Jedi  in E1 (only for the GI stopping her from killing that Jedi for reasons only to kill and hang up that Jedi later in the same episode)
  • Using bounty hunters to flush out Kenobi --and again she would have killed/captured him if the GI wouldn't have shown up
  • Using the droid as a tracking device.

Reva shows some signs of empathy and mercy here and there and one the younglings was a Black female--so maybe in the end she realizes Vader doesn't care about her and she sacrifices herself to help Kenobi and Leah escape. 

I don't need a Kenobi/ Vader duel finale--I know people will be pissed without it--but I don't think it is needed.  I am more interested in Kenobi demonstrating his mastery through connecting with Qui-Gon and hopefully Yoda.

I wonder if Kenobi mentioning that he remembers having a brother is just a throwaway line or a future plot thread. 

I am pleasantly surprised by the series.  However, I am getting burnt out of every episode or two we hop planets to search for X while being chased by Y.  I know it would NEVER happen, but I would like a Game of Thrones type series set in the Star Wars universe.  Set it in the far future after ST--with the empire/ FO destroyed the galaxy falls into chaos for millenia and have different houses/ syndicates/ etc battle for control. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, The Choc said:

Most prequel era Jedi we know were killed in Order 66 in ROTS. I think the Jedi there are ones killed directly by the Inquisitors.

I thought another really fun episode. The show is just really good and entertaining. As for Reva failing the same can be said for nearly all villains. I mean look at Vader. He is tracking down Leia to start ANH, sends an attachment down to get the droids. They fail. He allows Obi Wan to distract him so the good guys can escape. His plan to track the Falcon to the rebel base fails spectacularly when it leads directly to the Death Star being blown up.

Even in ESB, crawl says he is obsessed with Luke. Tries to get him on Hoth, don't work. Tries to chase down the Falcon, can't get them. He hires bounty hunters, the one good idea he has. But even then his plan to use Leia and company as bait fails as Luke gets away anyway. ,

I wouldn’t say his plan to track the Falcon failed spectacularly. He was the only one who was right about that. The plan worked. They found the Rebel base. And he had warned everyone all along to not be so proud about building the Death Star. But no one listened, especially Tarkin who kept underestimating the Rebels’ abilities to mount a counterattack, right down to being too proud to evacuate. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another hint that Reva was the youngling in the opening scene was when she said everything was taken from her. She wasn't talking about the Empire. She was talking about the Jedi. Vader or the Inquisitiors turned her against the Jedi by telling her she was stolen from her family. That's why she's such a merciless Inquisitior.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Lord Darth Hunter said:

I almost expected Leia to tell Reva they’re on Dantooine. 

Yeah, that crossed my mind too!
They do like to put a reference in these, so I was wondering if there would be hint of them setting a base up there (assuming the current one is exposed via the droid), and Leia uses that knowledge much later?

Really enjoying this show - great seeing Kenobi start to find his mojo in that last one! Will be a shame when it’s all over!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Enjoying it too, even with all the groan-inducing nitpicks, i.e. Obi Wan walking around all those Imperials with Leia hiding inside that large jacket Looney Tunes style, Reva doing a lot of villain talk. 

That last scene when Leia held Obi Wan’s hand shows us why she would name her son Ben. 

Something that came to my mind when I saw "Episode IV" in the title was ANH. So I went to look it up and sure enough, I wasn't the only one thinking about the films:

https://decider.com/2022/06/08/obi-wan-kenobi-theory-rhymes-with-prequels-original-trilogy/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well - a fair bit to digest in episode 5. I think how much I liked this one is dependant on what happens in episode 6 and a key development. 
 

But that aside, the opening shot will make a lot of you smile I think! It was clear what was coming! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.