Ewan McGreggor coming back as Obi-Wan

Darth Krawlie

1 hour ago, The Choc said:

Im not asking for episodes of Vader being this like tortured wimp. Let him go around killing people and being a badass for sure. What Im saying is at the end of the series Reva reports to him "Ive discovered what Kenobi has been doing all these years. Watching over a boy...your son Luke Skywalker." She thinks this is gonna earn her so much favor and she is like "lets get some troopers and go". But instead Vader ignites his saber and kills her without saying a word. Then walks off brooding. Then we get one more scene of Vader in his bacta tank looking extra forlorn and tortured. Thats it. 

The way Vader felt about Padme and everything he did for her, there’s just no way he finds out his son is alive and living on Tatooine and does nothing about it. If they were to do something like what you’re suggesting in this series, that would be some TROS level nonsense. 

2 hours ago, Zathras said:

It is what it is. 

I personally would love to see a story about how Vader found out about Luke, set say just after ANH.  But live action would be a challenge, unless they don't show Luke much.  

They did that.

Vader found out about Luke when Luke blew up the Death Star. Nothing else is needed.

This is the problem with fandoms in general, I am not excluding myself here, but every little detail is both not needed to be explored and can be better for the piece if left unexplored.

The original films did more than enough to imply that Vader discovers he has a son because a hero rose up from Tatooine named Luke Skywalker. Vader’s aptitude with the Force confirmed it, just like it does for Luke about Leia.

Also if Vader discovers Luke before this, it literally breaks the films*. Vader’s motivation is to get Luke once he becomes aware of him.

Come on, guys.

*not that Disney cares about breaking the films, of course. lol

30 minutes ago, Spider-Man said:

They did that.

Vader found out about Luke when Luke blew up the Death Star. Nothing else is needed.

This is the problem with fandoms in general, I am not excluding myself here, but every little detail is both not needed to be explored and can be better for the piece if left unexplored.

The original films did more than enough to imply that Vader discovers he has a son because a hero rose up from Tatooine named Luke Skywalker. Vader’s aptitude with the Force confirmed it, just like it does for Luke about Leia.

Also if Vader discovers Luke before this, it literally breaks the films*. Vader’s motivation is to get Luke once he becomes aware of him.

Come on, guys.

*not that Disney cares about breaking the films, of course. lol

Vaders motivation though is also when the Emperor finds out about him. Once he blows up the Death Star and the Emperor knows about him it changes the game. He cant stay out of site, out of mind anymore. 

Anyone else see how this is getting review bombed on RT and other sites online in the wake of Star Wars and Ewan personally calling out racist fans? Its fucking pathetic. I mean that is self evident but just wanted to point it out. 

Yeah. That was what I was mentioning earlier. ***holes apparently think a Black person can’t be an Inquisitor, or Sith, or Ex-Jedi Youngling whatever Reva is other than awesome. They are harassing Moses Ingram too, the actor that plays Reva.

Makes me wish Jay & Silent Bob were real and were just going house to house beating up these pricks.

3 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

Racists can like Star Wars. 

The problem is that at this point its not simply racists. There is a whole hate economy on YouTube and social media built around just being the worst kind of "fan". They aren;t even saying things they believe but the more negative you get, the more over the top your language the more fervent viewers you get watching you. So its not fans who happen to be piece of shit racists but its people who professionally at this point use others anger or whatever as a business. 

I suppose you are right though, a racist can like Star Wars but a racist obviously completely does not understand Star Wars. 

Watched it last night. I will say this show looks a hell of a lot better than Mando and especially Fett. Not sure if they pumped more money or talent into the production design, but good job.
That being said, this feels like an issue of Dark Horse's Star Wars Infinities. I didn't need to see kid Leia... or a disgruntled Obi-Wan. He still seemed pretty ****ing professional at the end of ROTS. I know he wasn't currently living in the ****hole that is Tatooine, but he also didn't seem bitter or disgruntled in ANH either. I just figured he was an aristocratic retiree in hiding on a planet with little-to-no Imperial presence. The more gaps they try the fill in, the more diluted the original material becomes.

And the trend of Star Wars killing off cool villains continues! The main inquisitor dude was interesting.

You know they're just gonna use some kind of Jedi/Men in Black mind wipe as a get out of jail free card to go on whatever retconning adventures they choose at this point. 

That being said, it's the most okay Disney SW show for me so far. 

18 hours ago, The Choc said:

The problem is that at this point its not simply racists. There is a whole hate economy on YouTube and social media built around just being the worst kind of "fan". They aren;t even saying things they believe but the more negative you get, the more over the top your language the more fervent viewers you get watching you. So its not fans who happen to be piece of shit racists but its people who professionally at this point use others anger or whatever as a business. 

I suppose you are right though, a racist can like Star Wars but a racist obviously completely does not understand Star Wars. 

I have felt for a long time now that the Star Wars fanbase is Its own worst enemy. The toxic element cannot discuss the subject without being so overwhelmed with vitrol and hatred that even Palpatine would become alarmed and tell them to chill out a bit. This creates an atmosphere that drives the less passionate and more sensible elements of fan base away from forums wherein SW products are discussed. From there, sensible and nuanced analysis and criticism of the very real flaws of the productions becomes impossible. This Dynamic is exactly what drove George Lucas to sell the franchise to Disney in the first place. So right off the bat, the "fandom menace" types have only themselves to blame for every Disney Star Wars product they've ever received and for the Order 66ing of its expanded universe.

The fan base then becomes sitting ducks for articles posted by online publications that just coincidentally happen to be either directly owned by Disney or subsidiaries of Disney attacking them for being toxic and even racist.

And because the fanbase has done such a good job of filtering out it's more moderate and rational voices, they're hard to take seriously when they defended themselves by claiming that these criticisms boil down to Disney simply hiding behind identity politics to deflect honest and genuine criticisms from real flaws in its productions. Even in those instances when that defense has a fair amount of objective validity. The sequel Trilogy was a bloody train wreck, but not because it had women and people of colour in it. And even if they did get Star Wars movies with only macho white guys in it, do you think they would be happy? Or would they rant and Rave and whining and b!tch about how all the characters were the same? Because, at the end of the day, that's what the toxic element in the Star Wars fandom does. It gripes about how terrible each new production is because they didn't experience the same sense of wonder watching it as an adult that they did watching Star Wars as an eight-year-old. That is totally not as a result of what naturally happens to people's experience of media as they mature, but it's because everything that happened to be made after they were no longer children is just garbage. And you're an idiot if you don't agree completely!

Besides, why weren't the fans griping incessantly about the ruining of their childhoods by Carrie Fisher or Billy Dee Williams or Natalie Portman or Samuel L Jackson? Why weren't politics and feminism spoiling Star Wars when Leia demand Han and Luke do as she told them while they were making a mess of her rescue from the Death Star? Remember that, in the very first Star Wars movie ever made? You would almost think, now I know this sounds like a conspiracy theory here, but hear me out: that their ire has been manufactured and fanned to a fever pitch by social media algorithms and echo chambers rather than honest and informed film criticism rooted in experience and study of film theory and production. I know, hard to believe that people on the internet would ever trust their collectively engineered feelings over informed and educated analysis, but here we are.

On top of that, when a certain segment of the fan base's most vehement criticism always happens to be towards the casting of actors who coincidentally just happen to be women and ethnic minorities, they likewise become hard to take seriously when they respond with "it's all about the acting, bro." When the issues that most consistently trigger them always revolve around the casting of women and ethnic minorities, a pattern emerges that is naturally hard to defend against to the accusations of bigotry that will naturally arise in response. Again, even if this isn't always precisely the case. Again, note that Billy Dee Williams and Samuel L Jackson were almost universally embraced by the fandom.

For its part, Disney knows full well that this endlessly repeating cycle is in fact a key component of its marketing strategy. Every Forum full of angry fanboys sharing articles accusing them of racism is free advertising for Disney, and gives those very Publications exactly what they really want: viral exposure for their advertisers. So the tragedy here is that the angry fanboys are working against their own stated intentions on the many levels, time and time again. Like the Jedi during the Clone Wars, by fighting at all, they fated themselves to lose and give Katherine Kennedy/Darth Sidious exactly what they want. Consumers vote with their dollars, and producers respond with what they know works.

I do think the echo chamber of social media and you tube makes it seem like there are alot more toxic fans that there are. I mean the vast majority of people who like Star Wars have never discussed it online at all. However Star Wars is a huge fandom and even a very small percentage of that fandom is a lot of people. If you are Kelly Marie Tran or the woman who plays Reva and you get 100 vile, terrible, racist messages then thats a very small fraction of a fraction of fandom but its still 100 terrible, vile, racist messages you are getting. 

As for Disney and LFL I don't believe they are callous enough to want their minority actors to receive hate like this because they feel all publicity is good publicity. I really don't.

6 minutes ago, Lord Darth Hunter said:

Something I’ve never been quite sure of and now that this series has confirmed that Obi Wan (and Yoda) didn’t know Anakin was still alive, my question is what was the purpose of training Luke then? Did he and Yoda feel the Skywalker kids were the only ones who could defeat the Emperor? 

I thought that is pretty much what Obi-Wan said in this scene:

BTW, watching this now makes me think: Obi-Wan in the PT says he cannot kill Anakin and refused to do so on Mustafar...but then he tries to guilt Luke into doing it after Luke said he cannot kill his own father. What a hypocrite. :D

10 hours ago, The Choc said:

As for Disney and LFL I don't believe they are callous enough to want their minority actors to receive hate like this because they feel all publicity is good publicity. I really don't.

TBH, I can't say I agree. Sure, Disney will come out and condemn the hate-bombing of its minority actors. Once enough people and media complain about it. Because "what way is the wind blowing" is what Disney's all about, when all is said and done.

The fans want more diversity and representation? Okay, we'll just throw in some minority actress into the show, with no consideration for backstory or context. The fans are now complaining that we're too "woke" now? Simple, we'll just make her an unsympathetic bad guy. She's supposed to be the villain, but we'll do nothing to make her actually menacing. 

Oh, wait, the fans are angry now? We'll just throw in a few expanded universe references, so that they can say, "I remember that from my childhood! Cool!" Did our last Star Wars show bomb, because we have no idea what it is SW fans really like and just stuffed it with familiar tropes, a few semi clever easter eggs and throw away characters no one wanted or was interested in? Well, we have just the thing for that! A rematch lightsaber duel between Darth Vader and Obi Wan Kenobi! Remember how cool that was! We at Disney listen to the fans, and what they like the most about Star Wars is Jedi vs Sith lightsaber action! The fans will get to relive that, all over again! And with their favorite old characters too! How lucky of them!

As for how we'll make it work story wise? Well, we won't think about that because we're Disney. Instead, we'll just graft it on to the end of an hour long show packed with popular tropes and clichés.

Wasn't Arya Stark popular in Game of Thrones? Well now's our chance to reconceptualize Princess Leia as a spunky tomboy who can't be a proper young lady in a noble household. See! Two popular pop-culture heroines rolled into one! Aren't we just so clever over here at Disney? But the fans start throwing words like "Mary Sue" around? Well, we'll just have her make a terrible mistake, whether it would actually be in character or not.

And on and on it goes. There's nothing Disney can't make knock off versions of, including their own intellectual properties. And because we're Disney, we can get away with it because our real target demographic is boomer moms who get nostalgic for how they felt as kids every Sunday night whenever "When you wish upon a star" played over their t.v sets. So there isn't a home in the land without a Disney+ subscription. And Disney execs learned that milking tropes for nostalgia is a pretty damn good business model, so you don't really need a lot else.

Is it any wonder that they haven't produced anything truly remarkable and visonary? Like I said previously, some SW fans are fickle and kinda dumb sometimes and get worked up about pointless stuff. But there is something to their widespread frustration as well. Because the Mouse House really is the Grim Reaper of popular franchises. Consistently neglecting the heart and soul of beloved I.Ps in favor of strip mining them of their constituent tropes and stuffing these into paint by numbers formula products that are, with few exceptions, virtually always mediocre and forgettable at best.

It is not like that. at all. This is a bit preposterous.

I know people working on these shows and there's a not a Disney exec in the room giving edicts. Are there things they have to do or not do in production-- sure. But by and large, these shows are created in a vacuum with Kennedy being the only tether to the powers that be.

And also...

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2022/06/obi-wan-kenobi-explained

...in which one of the show's writers verifies every thing I've been saying.

Some sites are reporting a season 2 is in the works. I’m not sure that’s a good idea. It’s already hard enough to do a limited series where you have to be really careful not to overstep and mess up continuity. Trying to continue having more adventures with Kenobi will really paint them into a corner. 

22 hours ago, Lord Darth Hunter said:

Something I’ve never been quite sure of and now that this series has confirmed that Obi Wan (and Yoda) didn’t know Anakin was still alive, my question is what was the purpose of training Luke then? Did he and Yoda feel the Skywalker kids were the only ones who could defeat the Emperor? 

I’m wondering if we’re actually going to get another parallel scene to RoTJ with the one that Wicket posted where we see Obi Wan going to visit Yoda and this comes up. 

I think Yoda does know Anakin is alive and Obi Wan will want to know why he didn’t tell him, ie Luke not being told Vader is Anakin. Then maybe he shows him how to have a chat with Qui Gon (he did promise him that at the end of RoTS)

That would be interesting. Yoda telling Obi Wan he wasn’t ready for the truth. Thus teaching Obi Wan that lying is sometimes best. Lol!

Something else I wanted to bring up. It’s interesting to see how my life has changed with Star Wars. As a young kid watching ANH back in ‘77 I was all about siding with Obi Wan and Luke to get off Tatooine and go off on adventures. Screw the the damn farm. Naturally at that age I saw Owen as a major jerk. Stop being an a-hole to your nephew! Let him go do his thing.

Fast forward to now, I’m basically Owen’s age in this show and I have my own family. So now I completely side with him. He is raising this boy as if he was his own child. And he has this war veteran suffering from PTSD just hanging around his farm who talks about taking the boy from him one day to go re-fight the war he lost years ago. I can see why Owen was the way he was in ANH. To him Luke is his family whom he must protect. To Obi Wan he’s just the next soldier in line to continue the fight that was lost years ago. 

On 6/3/2022 at 7:32 PM, The Choc said:

Anyone else see how this is getting review bombed on RT and other sites online in the wake of Star Wars and Ewan personally calling out racist fans? Its fucking pathetic. I mean that is self evident but just wanted to point it out. 

I just watched the 1st two episodes and thought that it was pretty good.

I've been seeing people putting up YouTube videos with headlines like "It sucks", or It's terrible".  Clickbait bullshit, or people just hatin', as far as I'm concerned. 

Really if someone doesn;t like it, thats fine. But its obviously being targeted by asshats because the audience score dropped like crazy after Disney's tweet about racists not having room in fandom and then Ewans video message saying the same. It plummeted like 30 points in a day without a new episode airing. So obviously something was up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.