Ewan McGreggor coming back as Obi-Wan

Darth Krawlie

5 hours ago, Zathras said:

I seriously thought it would play out that Obi Wan would fake his death dueling Vader somehow.  

So did I. But then I remembered Vader is still looking for him in Rebels. So he couldn’t think he was dead. 

"He's more machine now than man".  That we got. "Obi Wan once thought as you did". That we didn't get. Oh well. 

When Obi Wan sees Anakin inside Vader’s mask and tells him in tears he’s sorry for everything, that felt like he was trying to plead with Anakin to give up his Sith ways. He was asking Anakin for forgiveness for Anakin ending up the way he did. And not just literally in the suit, but overall with everything that happened, the deaths of Shmi and Padme, the Jedi’s obliviousness to what was happening around them and their unwillingness to look past their strict codes, and Obi Wan choosing to adhere to those codes over helping his friend whom he knew was experiencing turmoil. Obi Wan hoped showing Anakin compassion would bring him back. But when Anakin responded with hate, ("You didn't kill Anakin, I did.") that’s when Obi Wan knew it was hopeless. 

IMO that exchange covered both sentiments of “Obi Wan once thought as you do” and “He’s more machine now than man.”

Plus it also gave reasoning for Obi Wan to use the “point-of-view” line on Luke since Vader himself absolved Obi Wan by saying he himself had killed Anakin. 

I agree that the "Im sorry for all of it" was a plea from Obi Wan. Basically this isn't your fault, its mine and we can fix it. When Vader responds back that he wasn't Obi Wans failure and that he, himself, killed Anakin that closed that door. 

As for the show, I mean I loved it. Its not a great television show in the sense that its like one of the 10 best shows of all time but its great for what it is supposed to be. Everything the show set out to  do, it pretty much did very well. Thats all you can ask.

Also Beru FTW!!!

7 hours ago, Metropolis said:

"He's more machine now than man".  That we got. "Obi Wan once thought as you did". That we didn't get. Oh well. That Vader/Obi Wan moment perfectly mirrored the Vader/Ashoka moment from Rebels. 

I've resigned myself to the fact that to add to the mythos you sometimes have to step on the toes of what's already been done. Obi Wan's relationship with Leia undermines how Leia perceives Ben in ANH. She should be we upset if not more when he dies in ANH. But thems the breaks folks. 

Characters very rarely get upset when someone dies in Star Wars. I mean Lukes Aunt and Uncle die and he just like looks down at the ground for 2 seconds. 

52 minutes ago, Zathras said:

So, I hate saying it because I liked the duel, but who else thought it ended too much like how the Ahsoka VS Vader duel ended in Rebels?

That was the clear influence - I think they loved the scene so much they wanted to adapt it. But even some of the shots are directly lifted from that scene. 

But they did give it a different edge to the Rebels scene, where that was more sad, this was heartbreaking, horrific and creepy. 

It also made me realise what a great job Hayden had done performing vocally similar to James Earl Jones when they were mixing the voices alongside. 

A couple small moments I loved:

Obi Wan telling the fake Jedi his word was good enough for him. Just a great little moment.

At the end when Obi Wan tells Leia he wishes he could tell her more about her parents, Leia glances at her adoptive parents and says you dont have to because she knows she has great parents. Loved that.

25 minutes ago, Dark Wader said:

That was the clear influence - I think they loved the scene so much they wanted to adapt it. But even some of the shots are directly lifted from that scene. 

But they did give it a different edge to the Rebels scene, where that was more sad, this was heartbreaking, horrific and creepy. 

It also made me realise what a great job Hayden had done performing vocally similar to James Earl Jones when they were mixing the voices alongside. 

I agree Rebels influenced Obi Wan Kenobi part 6 for sure.  I felt it was done right, but at the same time, it seemed a little too familiar.  I also think that HC is officially redeemed for the shit he gets (I say unfairly) for AOTC especially, and ROTS.   I think it is clear that the guy is a good actor, and I would not be opposed to seeing a Darth Vader series with him in it.   

2 minutes ago, Zathras said:

I agree Rebels influenced Obi Wan Kenobi part 6 for sure.  I felt it was done right, but at the same time, it seemed a little too familiar.  I also think that HC is officially redeemed for the shit he gets (I say unfairly) for AOTC especially, and ROTS.   I think it is clear that the guy is a good actor, and I would not be opposed to seeing a Darth Vader series with him in it.   

Yeah I agree it was probably a little too familiar - though as soon as they cast Hayden I had a feeling that was the exact scene they were going to do and I’m not gonna lie, I loved the original scene so i didn’t  care that they essentially adapted for Obi Wan. Just hopefully they don’t decide to do it again for an Ashoka flashback in her series.

1 minute ago, Dark Wader said:

Yeah I agree it was probably a little too familiar - though as soon as they cast Hayden I had a feeling that was the exact scene they were going to do and I’m not gonna lie, I loved the original scene so i didn’t  care that they essentially adapted for Obi Wan. Just hopefully they don’t decide to do it again for an Ashoka flashback in her series.

Agreed.  

1 hour ago, The Choc said:

Characters very rarely get upset when someone dies in Star Wars. I mean Lukes Aunt and Uncle die and he just like looks down at the ground for 2 seconds. 

Not to mention everything and everyone Leia had known her whole life had just been wiped from existence. Everything! All that was left was rocks floating in space. So by the time Obi Wan sacrifices himself for her and Luke she’s probably numb to a lot of things at that moment. 

8 hours ago, Lord Darth Hunter said:

When Vader piled the rocks on top of Obi Wan and walked away, I thought that was it.

Raise your hand if you expected Vader to mention having the high ground once Obi-Wan was down in the hole.

8 hours ago, Metropolis said:

Obi Wan had to beat Vader. There were certain things they couldn't get away with "grey areas". 

8 hours ago, Zathras said:

I seriously thought it would play out that Obi Wan would fake his death dueling Vader somehow.  

Both of these things were in my head because there's a case for either side. In theory, neither of them should leave the other alive. Ben could have stopped a legit evil from doing harm to the universe-- but at what cost? Would killing Vader just bring the Empire after him even harder?

Vader letting Obi-Wan go... he's not overly shocked to see him in ANH. I think maybe the lesson the Emperor was imparting was that Vader just needed to be patient... which in a way echoes Luke in ROTJ. Palpatine knows how central Anakin.

So, I hate saying it because I liked the duel, but who else thought it ended too much like how the Ahsoka VS Vader duel ended in Rebels?

It was practically a shot for shot recreation-- it also sort of happened in Force Unleashed too. It's one of those fan-fulfillment things that after we know Anakin as a character to see him under the mask. It was worth it though, and felt like so much better a bridge than the mask going on in ROTS.

5 hours ago, Lord Darth Hunter said:

When Obi Wan sees Anakin inside Vader’s mask and tells him in tears he’s sorry for everything, that felt like he was trying to plead with Anakin to give up his Sith ways. He was asking Anakin for forgiveness for Anakin ending up the way he did. And not just literally in the suit, but overall with everything that happened, the deaths of Shmi and Padme, the Jedi’s obliviousness to what was happening around them and their unwillingness to look past their strict codes, and Obi Wan choosing to adhere to those codes over helping his friend whom he knew was experiencing turmoil. Obi Wan hoped showing Anakin compassion would bring him back. But when Anakin responded with hate, ("You didn't kill Anakin, I did.") that’s when Obi Wan knew it was hopeless. 

IMO that exchange covered both sentiments of “Obi Wan once thought as you do” and “He’s more machine now than man.”

I think so too-- it doesn't have to be so on the nose. You can tell Obi-Wan still has some hope for Anakin and holds back until Vader gives him no option. I used to want a literal line from Owen sayin "Anakin should have never left with you!" but the sentiment was certainly covered. Sometimes subtly works better, and Star Wars rarely does it.

3 hours ago, Zathras said:

...you... but... I... **brain snaps**

VADER DOESN'T NEED HIS OWN SERIES HIS STORY SPANS SIX MOVIES! Everything we're gfetting is a spinoff of HIS story! hahaha. STOP IT!

4 hours ago, The Choc said:

I agree that the "Im sorry for all of it" was a plea from Obi Wan. Basically this isn't your fault, its mine and we can fix it. When Vader responds back that he wasn't Obi Wans failure and that he, himself, killed Anakin that closed that door. 

As for the show, I mean I loved it. Its not a great television show in the sense that its like one of the 10 best shows of all time but its great for what it is supposed to be. Everything the show set out to  do, it pretty much did very well. Thats all you can ask.

Also Beru FTW!!!

You willing to admit now that an angrier Vader was the right way to go as opposed to him having any sympathy?

And YES, I loved seeing Owen and Beru step up to protect Luke... and I totally agree with Ben getting there so fast smacking of JJ Abrams not understanding how space works (he does it his Trek movies too).

Also, they clearly wanted to leave it a little open ended in case they want to do another season. We have no idea what happens to Reva.

26 minutes ago, Tank said:

Raise your hand if you expected Vader to mention having the high ground once Obi-Wan was down in the hole.

Vader letting Obi-Wan go... he's not overly shocked to see him in ANH. I think maybe the lesson the Emperor was imparting was that Vader just needed to be patient... which in a way echoes Luke in ROTJ. Palpatine knows how central Anakin.

*Hand raised*

Funny you mention this because there’s a scene in Rebels that plays out similarly to this conversation we saw between Vader and Palpatine. In Rebels, Vader informs the Emperor he’s found Ahsoka and that she might lead them to Kenobi. Palpatine’s response is to seemingly not care and tells Vader to be patient. 

So not only did this show mirror Ahsoka and Vader’s duel. It also mirrored the Emperor’s response or lack thereof. 

1 hour ago, Tank said:

Yeah but I love the idea of Anakin getting back to his castle, jumping into the bacta tank and then having some relatable shower thoughts of ‘damn it that’s what I should have said’

13 hours ago, Tank said:

I think so too-- it doesn't have to be so on the nose. You can tell Obi-Wan still has some hope for Anakin and holds back until Vader gives him no option. I used to want a literal line from Owen sayin "Anakin should have never left with you!" but the sentiment was certainly covered. Sometimes subtly works better, and Star Wars rarely does it.

Oddly enough there was one thing I did want a literal line for. I hoped during the various conversations throughout the series that Obi Wan had with Leia about her parents, that Leia once would mention that she’s had visions or dreams of her mother. And then Obi Wan would tell her (or maybe she herself says her dad, Bail, had told her) that her mother was watching over her in her dreams or something like that. 

2 hours ago, Lord Darth Hunter said:

Oddly enough there was one thing that I wanted a literal line for. I was hoping that during the various conversations Obi Wan had with Leia about her parents throughout the series, that Leia once would mention that she’s had visions or dreams of her mother. And then Obi Wan would tell her (or maybe she herself says her dad, Bail, had told her) that her mother was watching over her in her dreams or something like that. 

Yes, I was hoping for that also - thought sure it would come in that final chat on Alderaan.

5 hours ago, Tank said:

I totally did.  He had the ultimate high ground. 

...you... but... I... **brain snaps**

VADER DOESN'T NEED HIS OWN SERIES HIS STORY SPANS SIX MOVIES! Everything we're gfetting is a spinoff of HIS story! hahaha. STOP IT!

So you wouldn't go for an Inquisitor limited series with Vader, as an example?  I think that would be something different.  And who says it has to be 6 episodes?  It could be 2 or 3.  Or have him pop up in another series or 2?   I know we don't NEED it, but I am just saying I thought HC did a great job and would like to see him as Vader again.   Plus, what are they saving Vader for anyway?  JEJ ain't getting younger, and if there is a good story to include Vader in, they ought to do it.  

11 hours ago, Tank said:

You willing to admit now that an angrier Vader was the right way to go as opposed to him having any sympathy?

And YES, I loved seeing Owen and Beru step up to protect Luke... and I totally agree with Ben getting there so fast smacking of JJ Abrams not understanding how space works (he does it his Trek movies too).

Also, they clearly wanted to leave it a little open ended in case they want to do another season. We have no idea what happens to Reva.

LOL, no I won't admit Im wrong because Im not. Vader could have been exactly that same way towards Obi Wan in their duel. I didn't expect him to show any sympathy to Obi Wan. I wouldn't have expected Obi Wan to know that Vader chose to not pursue Luke.

Having said that I loved what they did do and it was great. But that doesn't mean there weren't other things that could have done which would also have been great. Its liek when I go to Long Island and have to choose which bridge to take. I go across the Throggs Neck and traffic isn't too bad and I think "oh that was a good choice" but who knows maybe the the Whitestone was even faster? No way to know cause I didn't go on the Whitestone. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.