Ewan McGreggor coming back as Obi-Wan

Darth Krawlie

9 hours ago, Hobbes said:

"Hey Obi-Wan Kenobi--Bail Antilles here, I am worried about you and Darth Vader's secret daughter Leia.   Should I go to Tatooine to check on Vader's other secret kid, Luke, at the Lars homestead?"

Especially since the message starts with Bail saying, “I know we said no contact but your silence worries me.”

Ummm, isn’t that what no contact means??? 

If Bail had started off by saying something like, “you’ve missed the last two times we agreed for updates so I’m worried something has gone wrong…” At least with something like that we could see why Bail would be worried and desperate for any info.

Do we really expect Bail to act logically and rationally? His daughter is kidnapped. He has no idea if she is dead, if the man he sent to save her is dead. He said no contact but its just taking too long and he is starting to panic. Like any parent would. We don't need a reason to "see why he'd be worried and desperate for info". Ofcourse he'd be worried and desperate and acting illogically. If he wasn't acting this way then that is what would make no sense. 

Yes, sure. As I said his daughter is kidnapped. He making panicked, dumb decisions. As you'd expect. I always find this funny, fans do it all the time. They sit at home for the comfort and calmness of their couches and with an omnipresent view of the story and they expect characters in the middle of the story to act in the way they'd act. Obviously its a mistake for Bail to contract Obi Wan the way he did, but like I said you'd expect him to make mistakes. His daughter is kidnapped. Hed be sitting by whatever device he uses to contact Obi Wan. Hed be holding it in his hands while praying for it to go off with good news from Obi Wan. He'd be fighting the impulse to contact Obi Wan every minute of every day. The fact that he eventually gave in to that impulse is not some kind of plot contrivance. Its exactly what you'd expect.

11 hours ago, Lord Darth Hunter said:

Attempt to contact him. Sure, why not. Give away the whole secret of the children including exact location? Stupid, lazy writing. 

There's a lot of things that can happen to get stuck in this position, and you're not wrong in that it feels like lazy writing. But In defense of writers, and I have been in this position, sometimes production says "Hey we aren't going to make the day and we need to cut a scene." Maybe there was a better planned scene, in another location, with more actors, wherein Reva learned that she needed to go to Tattooine-- but time and money required that scene to be cut so they needed to make that connection for the story, but had to do it in a scene already in the schedule, and this was the fix.

YES, it comes off as lazy writing, but it may not be the fault of the writers. Like I said above, this show has no money and that's the source of all its problems. Things like this are the fault of a low budget. I don't think there's anyone who gets staffed on a Star Wars show that WANTS to phone it in-- but when there's not enough money to give a show the time it needs to do things properly, you're forced to take short cuts. 

I think people just expect every show to be like this perfect Swiss watch. Not every show is meant to be that, in fact most aren't. This show is supposed to be a fun adventure. Its not supposed to be Breaking Bad. If if tried to be it would probably suck. I mean look at a couple episodes ago, Vader doesn't continue to pursue Obi Wan because there is a small fire between them? Reva somehow gets ahead of Leia in a tunnel that Leia was in first? These aren;t complaints because who cares? The show knows what is is trying to be, which is a fun, fast paced adventure. Im thankful for that. Its similar to TFA which took no time to explain how Maz got the saber or Artoo turned on or why Artoo had the map because none of those things mattered to what the movie was about or was trying to do or was going to make it entertaining. This show is doing the same thing and rightly so. 

The advantage of a serialized TV show over a movie is that you get to take a little more time. Star Wars has always been broad-strokes story-telling. This is why the EU books never worked for me, because they got into those details that killed the sweeping mythic adventure vibe. 

In this new golden age of television we are definitely programmed to expect a certain level and style of storytelling that Star Wars may not fit into. 

I think too that this Obi-Wan story started its life as a movie and has been expanded, but maybe didn't NEED the expanding, and now doesn't have the money to do it properly and this end result is what we're getting.

I said earlier that Star Wars tv is likely always to be "Star Wars Light". Thats probably true. Most, not all, things are best in their original medium. Most things that start as books are best books, most TV shows that become movies are best as movies, most movies that they make out of tv shows were best as movies. For every "Godfather" where the movie actually surpasses the book there are 50 where the book is far better. For every MASH or Odd Couple there are 50 Cluess or Ferris Buellers Day Off that suck compared to the movie. 

The same is likely true here, what makes Star Wars great when its great isn't going to be transferrable to a TV show very often. For the most part I think they've been pretty successful making good stuff so far. Mando is a good show, the 2nd season especially. This is a really fun show. BOBF fell short. Still 2/3 ain't bad. 

For me they are trying to hit singles and doubles with the tv shows, they ain;t swinging for the fences. But they've mostly hit those singles and doubles, so thats great. 

If they want to make a great show they will probably have to go far away from the Star Wars formula and do something a bit different. I hope they do that, I really do. However my guess is they mostly play it safe which is fine. If I get a bunch of shows I really like rather than love thats still pretty cool. 

Kennedy has said they are moving away from the established Skywalker-centric storylines and into new territory. This is the right move. No more prequels, in in-between-quels. They need to pull a Star Trek TNG and just jump ahead a century or two from the ST, and start fresh with no ties beyond the "mythology" of what came before being just that-- myth.

A new story could take any form/format and not feel like it doesn't belong if it is the first thing. 

I hope they do that. Ive said from the start that just taking a character and saying "hey lets build a show around him/her" is a boring way to go. That doesn't mean they cant make fun stuff inside of that because they have.

Personally I'd love a GoT style Star Wars show. Now it wouldn't be as adult as Thrones but a show set either way in the future or way in the past, I don't think it matters which, where there is no Republic or any galaxy wide government. Each system is its own thing. Jedi exist but obviously can;t be like a wing of the Republic because there is no Republic. 

I hate to just sya Game of Thrones but in Star Wars because its kinda just obvious and simplistic but that kind of thing works on TV. It's not that different than mafia style shows where each family is basically like a House on Thrones or like a planet would be here. 

It needs to feel big and important on it's own. Thats the issue with setting stuff within the TPM-TROS timeline. We've seen the biggest events of that time in movies, so everything else is smaller and just filling in gaps of larger events.

If they want a truly great tv show they need to be willing commit to something that may not start out "buzzy" or whatever. They need to accept that a good portion of people may at first think "I don't know any of the characters in this show, Im gonna pass" and then have confidence in its quality that over time the word of mouth spreads from the people who do watch to those who didn;t and the show becomes something huge because of its quality rather than because of its connection to something already popular.

Will they do this? I don't know. I really like this show, Im looking forward to the finale alot. I just know that two actual great shows have had seasons lately "Stranger Things" and "Peaky Blinders" and both those shows blow any Star Wars tv out of the water. The basic way they've gone with Star Wars tv so far is essentiallty the "fun adventure" genre which I think is far more condusive to movies than to weekly tv. If they really want to make a great tv show they are gonna have to branch out.

That is the best way to go because the stakes for all these prequels and in-between series are extremely low. 

Most of the major complaints I've read about this show stem from the fact that we know most of the characters' fates. This not only drains any tension away from the series but also only serves to confuse the hell out of the audience. On a regular show with no ties to anything else, when Reva stabbed the Grand Inquisitor, it would've made some kind of impact. But because we knew he appears years later in Rebels, all this did was make people scratch their heads and just keep waiting for him to pop up again.   

The ending to last week's episode where we see Luke sleeping in his bed is supposed to be a moment of, oh boy, here we go, the grand finale! What's going to happen to Luke? Will Obi Wan be able to save him or his family? Will Owen give up his life for his family? Maybe the citizens of Tatooine we saw in the first episode already talking back to the Imperials band together to finally bring them down? Maybe after all hell breaks loose in the end Bail will take the boy and adopt him to live on Alderaan as well? Oh wait, we already know none of that will happen and everyone will be completely fine by the end of the series, including all the villains!!!

The only tension that was even remotely present in the series is would Tala and Reva survive? That's such low hanging fruit. 

Yep, can’t argue with your points there, but for me, knowing the fates of the characters hasn’t spoiled my enjoyment at all. This series has been very enjoyable to watch, and I’m looking forward to seeing how it all ends up in a few hours time.

A mad thought crossed my mind on my second watch of episode 5, and that was what if they went an Infinities route and did something different to really shock… Won’t happen and I know a lot on here don’t like that series of stories or the alternate reality idea, but…

Anyway, looking forward to more Mando era stuff and Andor looks like a lot of potential also. After that, let’s get away from the Skywalker era for some fresh and unrestricted stories.

A few things I wasn’t a fan of in the final, don’t think they should have intercut the duel with the hunt for Luke and just left the scene in it’s entirety for after. It also wouldn’t of felt that Obi Wan was able to get to Tatooine in literally 5 minutes. (Too much of the JJ influence there maybe). 

But all problems were for naught since they completely delivered on a scene I’ve basically wanted to see since before the prequels. Fan service it might be but the long shot of Obi Wan and Vader before the fight is my favourite Star Wars moment ever. The duel itself I also think delivered but again intercutting with the Reva scenes I think was a mistake, both should of been isolated. 

Also very hard not too tear up a little at Obi Wan telling Leia about her parents and him telling Anakin he was sorry ‘for all of it’. 

Finally, the ‘Hello there’ was perfect. 

"He's more machine now than man".  That we got. "Obi Wan once thought as you did". That we didn't get. Oh well. That Vader/Obi Wan moment perfectly mirrored the Vader/Ashoka moment from Rebels. 

I've resigned myself to the fact that to add to the mythos you sometimes have to step on the toes of what's already been done. Obi Wan's relationship with Leia undermines how Leia perceives Ben in ANH. She should be we upset if not more when he dies in ANH. But thems the breaks folks. 

I actually thought they'd take a page from the comics and have Luke be the one rescuing Owen and Beru instead of the opposite. I thought during the fight between Owen, Beru and Reva, once Reva got the upperhand and was ready to strike the killing blow, Luke would save the day. 

When Vader piled the rocks on top of Obi Wan and walked away, I thought that was it. That's how it ends and Vader thinks he's dead. I'm surprised they had Obi Wan come back, beat Vader and just walk away. Which brings me to this. Why would he do that? Kill Vader right there and you avoid so many problems for the galaxy. Not to mention you know full well he will be searching for you even harder now. Obi Wan doesn't know Palpatine will pull on Vader's leash. 

Speaking of which, Palpatine's makeup looked like crap.    

Absolutely loved that! Epic final episode - superb dual, lovely moments with Leia and the trademark “Hello there!” to Luke! Qui-Gon for heavens sake! Brilliant!

The wife asked to watch ANH straight after - who am I to refuse? 

The dialogue scenes with Vader and Obi-Wan - fantastic! And the split voice between HC and JEJ… magic!

As to Obi-Wan walking away, he can’t kill his friend. That still rings true from ROTS and walking away instead of ending his suffering. Seeing his face and hearing his voice brought that all back. No complaints here.

I do agree on the timing of the scenes - could have been edited differently to give Kenobi a bit more time to get to Tatooine, but the fact she brought him back to the Homestead instead of an encounter in the dune sea is fine enough with me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.