Ewan McGreggor coming back as Obi-Wan

Darth Krawlie

As for the Galaxy as a whole I think Han and the o ne Imperial Officer who questions Vader probably represent the Galaxy as a whole. They know about the Jedi, they know what The Force supposedly is but they think its all BS. They just don't believe any of it. 

Really an issue is also how powerful Jedi were in the PT. Even in ROTJ on the sail barge which is where Luke probably shows his abilities the most an onlooker could watch that and be impressed with what he is doing but probably not be convinced he had any magical powers. He doesn't do anything that outrageous. Whereas anyone in the PT who spent time around the Jedi would 100% know something crazy is going on with them.

Lastly and this will go hand in hand a but with somehting said earlier. People don't believe in the Jedi because Totalitarian regimes are really good at tricking people into believing what they want them to believe. It seems the Empire took the tact of saying the Jedi were essentially tricksters who fooled the Galaxy into thinking they had powers. Which isnt exactly saying they were evil but isn't that far off. 

Very enjoyable start - dramatic conclusion to the second episode. McGregor awesome as always! 

Maybe being critical, the random Jedi in Ep 1 found Kenobi quite easily - how did he escape from 3 Inquisitors and do that? 
And Kenobi seems to be wearing is lightsaber quite prominently - would rather it to be more hidden.

Flea! Great seeing him in there!  

Really looking forward to the rest of this!

I've said it a billion timers, as recent as the last page-- but MANDO is an apology for the ST, and I felt this show would be the apology for the PT. I feel like this is dead on true as for what they set out to do.

The PT recap almost made it seem good! All those fan edits of inserting clips of the PT into the OT as flashbacks... I tell you what... imagine a world where that recap was a recap of Episode One. As in, imagine the entire actual PT was just one movie. And these two episodes of Obi-Wan were episode 2. This is so much closer to what we wanted to see.

Anyway... there's an obvious story to this. When I first heard they were going to do an Obi-Wan movie, what I imagined was pretty close to this, and I know it's what a lot of us pictured-- broken old Obi-Wan, getting yelled at by Owen, has to do a favor for Bail or Mothma and does so begrudgingly... so to be honest, I was expecting that... and it delivered, and honestly, there's not much more you could do with Obi-Wan given we know where he starts and ends in this time frame.

THAT SAID... was I expecting the misadventures of spunky Lil' Leia? NOPE. Did it kick me in the feels? YUP. Did I get choked up when she reminded Obi-Wan of Padme? YES. AND HOW? WHY? I HATE THE PT! HOW THEY DO THAT TO ME!?

Because I'm me, I have a few quibbles:

- Some of the line deliveries from Reva, Grand Inquisitor, Lil Leia, and others were a little cringy-- but at this point, isn't that just Star Wars? 

- Grand Inquisitor isn't dead. As much as I'd like to piss off the die hard fans by flipping off continuity, he's killed by Kanaan in Rebels, which happens after this show.

- Tonally, this show is interesting. It doesn't feel like the PT, or the OT. It sort of vacillates between how Rogue One felt (like Star Wars for grown ups) and what Mando does (like an adaption of animation). Over all, I'm not unhappy, and I think this is a thing only I obsess over (for instance, no one but me thinks watching R1 back to back with ANH would feel weird despite the plots lining up).

- Is this special? Sometimes, I think so. Other times, it feels like a video game or EU novel. I've long argued against EU material because I feel like it waters down the specialness of stand alone movies. Star Wars is a long long way from this, but it's a thing that still bugs me sometimes. The great parts of this show make me forget it though... but sometimes I have this nagging voice that says IT DOESN'T COUNT.

- The only REAL, legit, complaint I have about this show, is that some of the action betrayed its production value. Any chase scene, where people are running, they are practically doing so in place. It's like watching pro=-wrestlers who are bad a pulling their punches. This is because, like Mando, this was shot mostly on the volume LED stage. It looks like big open spaces, but this entire show is shot in about 50 square feet. You run for real, and you'll hit the wall. It made the action feel fake to me.

- oh, and I don't care, but I just wasn't to be in on this before Spider-Man/Torch/Robin/Zambingo says it... WHY LIL LUKE NOT BLONDE!?!?!?!

But beyond that-- man that was fun. And shout out to Joel Edgerton, who even though is off being successful as a writer and director making his own stuff, comes back with his face from Episode 3 and perfectly nails the voice of old Owen in ANH.

8 hours ago, Rogue 3 said:

Maybe being critical, the random Jedi in Ep 1 found Kenobi quite easily - how did he escape from 3 Inquisitors and do that? 

Yeah looking back even that bit where they met up in the desert seemed a bit random. 

One thing I really liked was the Jawa trading with Obi Wan. ‘Cleaning costs extra’ got a giggle. 

22 minutes ago, The Choc said:

2/3 of the sequel trilogy blows anything ever on Mando completely and utterly out of the water.  As does this show too. These are easily the 2 best episodes of Star Wars television ever. 

Can you just not, for once? Can we actually talk about something else, like this show.  I know I brought it up, but just as a small reference point. You don't have to say this every single time Mando is mentioned. 

So on topic...

Two things that need discussion---

1. Obi-Wan didn't know Vader survived Mustafar

2. Reva knows Anakin = Vader

I'm down to see how these points play out, but they don't quite feel like they should track. Vader is pretty infamous, even now, no? And we just talked about how he's hard to miss as a galactic figure and Obi-Wan would have heard about him. Surely Bail would know.

And Reva knowing who he is? THAT is super interesting to me, and not sure it was needed unless it goes somewhere else. Anakin being Vader was definitely a closely-guarded secret otherwise there's no way Bail would have let Leia get anywhere near him.

32 minutes ago, Tank said:

So on topic...

I'm down to see how these points play out, but they don't quite feel like they should track. Vader is pretty infamous, even now, no? And we just talked about how he's hard to miss as a galactic figure and Obi-Wan would have heard about him. Surely Bail would know.

And Reva knowing who he is? THAT is super interesting to me, and not sure it was needed unless it goes somewhere else. Anakin being Vader was definitely a closely-guarded secret otherwise there's no way Bail would have let Leia get anywhere near him.

I would assume Bail would have heard about Vader rather than Obi-Wan (after the events of Episode III). Obi-Wan seemed to lead a pretty disconnected life hiding out on Tatooine. He buried his lightsaber along with Anakin's and tried not to use the Force or intervene in any conflicts. I would assume that Obi-Wan probably did not leave Tatooine after Episode III until Bail asks him to help rescue Leia. By the way, the girl who played Leia in this series reminded me more of Princess Leia in the OT than Padme in the PT. I guess part of it was her dialogue and the other part might have been the ESB-style outfit she was wearing on Alderaan.

Maybe Reva got to watch the same recording that Obi-Wan and Yoda watched in Episode III. She seemed to be pretty resourceful and she knew that Obi-Wan was close to Bail (which is the reason why she decided to have Leia taken to flush Obi-Wan out of hiding).

By the way, did anyone else want to yell at the camerman during the scene on Tatooine where that one Jedi found Obi-Wan but Obi-Wan kept insisting he was "Ben"? The camera was shaking so much it was giving me a headache.

You're not wrong... but it just seems like Bail would have looped Obi-Wan in on Vader being alive. Maybe they';ll address it. 

Obi-Wan: Why didn't you tell me!? You told me Vader was dead and crispy!

Bail: Something something something a certain point of view.

3 minutes ago, Tank said:

You're not wrong... but it just seems like Bail would have looped Obi-Wan in on Vader being alive. Maybe they';ll address it. 

Obi-Wan: Why didn't you tell me!? You told me Vader was dead and crispy!

Bail: Something something something a certain point of view.

:D So that's where Obi-Wan learned it.

I may be missing something, but it seems like from the first two episodes of this miniseries, this is the first time Bail and Obi-Wan have spoken since Episode III. I can think of maybe two explanations:

1. Worrrying about Leia, it just wasn't on Bail's mind to fill Obi-Wan in on the details about Vader.

2. Does Bail even know that Anakin is Vader? I know Obi-Wan and Yoda know via the events of Episode III, but was Bail ever let in on this secret?

1 hour ago, Tank said:

(for instance, no one but me thinks watching R1 back to back with ANH would feel weird despite the plots lining up).

I’ve seen R1 once for that exact reason. And I’ll probably only watch it again when my son is old enough.

1 hour ago, Tank said:

Can you just not, for once? Can we actually talk about something else, like this show.  I know I brought it up, but just as a small reference point. You don't have to say this every single time Mando is mentioned. 

I've been on this board like 23 years, you know I won't. LOL 

Funny thing is I do like Mando. The only Star Wars I don't like are TROS and kinda BOBF. And I get you like Mando more than any of the ST, alot of fans do and thats great. But when you go as far as saying that Mando is an apology for the ST its gonna draw a response. Im a prequel fan but I can see what you are saying about this show as it relates to the PT. Alot of fans thought we'd see Jedi getting hunted and a last ditch attempt by Obi Wan to save Anakin.

I just don't see how that same thing applies to Mando and the ST. I don't think anyone would have expected a trilogy about a loner Mandalorian and a Baby Yoda. 

1 hour ago, Tank said:

So on topic...

About Reva knowing: Obi Wan says that at least some Inquisitors were Jedi who turned to the dark side and now hunt Jedi. If Reva was a Padawan or Youngling in the Temple when Anakin/Vader attacked it then it would make sense she'd know who Vader was. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.