Ewan McGreggor coming back as Obi-Wan

Darth Krawlie

I don’t think it’s dumb. They’re not specifically making the show to deal with the gaps. If they were then yeah it’d be silly. But it’s just an added bonus they can address while doing an Obi Wan focused show - which is what everyone has been pretty much begging Disney for since they bought the franchise. 

8 hours ago, Hobbes said:

I don't need to see the Kessell Run or Han meeting Chewie…

This right here is where things have gone wrong with Star Wars. In-between-quels are jamming everything up. I hate that Solo ends with it feeling like Han is going right off to work for Jabba even though there’s 10 years still before ANH.

There’s an interview with Kennedy out doing the rounds now where she says they know they need to step away from the Skywalker saga and start telling new stories.

I know they are seeding a lot into the “high republic” era stuff, but they really need to pull a next generation and just jump a hundred or thousand years past the ST and start fresh. Make a solid movie then start spinning off from there. 

Ive said forever I don't like the approach of just picking a character and building a show or movie around them. Obviously thats where they've chosen to go for alot of projects. Having said that I also said that even inside of this approach that wouldn't be my choice they can make really good shows. I've also said there should be enough content coming out that we all should get some of what we want. 

This right here is where things have gone wrong with Star Wars. In-between-quels are jamming everything up. I hate that Solo ends with it feeling like Han is going right off to work for Jabba even though there’s 10 years still before ANH.

Another instance of this problem is how Obi-Wan ages.  Obi-Wan aged considerably between ROTS and ANH, and I always thought it was a bit of a stretch that he aged so much in a span of 20 years.  Ewan McGreggor is aging pretty slowly, though.  He doesn't look that different than he did in ROTS.  Now, instead of having 20 years to become an old geezer, he only has 10.  It only makes it that much more absurd that he looks as old as he does in ANH.  

12 hours ago, Quetzalcoatl said:

Another instance of this problem is how Obi-Wan ages.  Obi-Wan aged considerably between ROTS and ANH, and I always thought it was a bit of a stretch that he aged so much in a span of 20 years.  Ewan McGreggor is aging pretty slowly, though.  He doesn't look that different than he did in ROTS.  Now, instead of having 20 years to become an old geezer, he only has 10.  It only makes it that much more absurd that he looks as old as he does in ANH.  

I get what you are saying, but I can easily overlook stuff like this—similar to how light saber duels are getting way better.  I don’t need perfect continuity there.

This all comes to,  again, poor prequel planning. The OT implies that the Clone Wars were WAY further in the past than 20 years. Funny enough, Hayden is now the age Vader would have been in ANH. The fact that Alec Guinness and Sebastian Shaw were both in their 70s says that gap should have been 30-40 years.

Guess we just assume that the desert and the dark side age you hard.

We SHOULD assume that but George had to make a huge point of why Palpatine looked the way he did in ROTS instead of letting it just be the dark side like we all always thought

George Lucas is the worst thing to ever happen to Star Wars, and I don’t mean that facetiously.

3 hours ago, The Choc said:

People just looked older back in the 70's in general and Ewan has not aged at all. The casting of Shaw as the redeemed Anakin was always odd, he was actually about 10 years older than Guinness. 

This! Alec Guiness was 63 in ANH, and Ewan is 51 in a miniseries that is 10 years before ANH.  In another 10 years, Ewan will be about the same age AG was in ANH.  

Everyone looks a lot younger when the world has a better sense of nutrition and doesn’t chain smoke!

That said, the 20 year gap between the PT and OT still feels shorter than originally implied.

5 hours ago, Tank said:

Everyone looks a lot younger when the world has a better sense of nutrition and doesn’t chain smoke!

That said, the 20 year gap between the PT and OT still feels shorter than originally implied.

Before the PT, I also assumed the Clone Wars was something like 40 years before ANH.

I kinda assumed Anakin was older when the Clone Wars happened but that they were roughly 20-30 years before ANH. I figured Obi Wan was 60 or so (which is very very old to a kid) in ANH. So when the Clone Wars happened he was ya know late 30s maybe. Then Anakin was a bit younger, maybe 30 himself. Which would make him 50 at the time of ANH.

Alot of this is just simply we watched the OT as kids and old was old back then. I remember when he grampa died he was 65. He had always seemed very old to me my entire life and I thought 65 is pretty old and not very young to die. Ofcourse now if someone dies at 65 I think its a shame and way too young.

Same applies with Obi Wan. He shouldn't even be 60 in ANH. Which to us now who are in our 40s and 50s its like "how the old is the old wizard everyone assumes is dead because he is so friggin old only 58?" 

Really though it goes back something I've said many times. Star Wars is in its 6th different decade now and has been written out of order and by many different people. Its not going to perfectly match up. It doesn't work as this precise encyclopedic history the way A Song of Ice and Fire or Tolkien does. Have to look at the stories as being loosely connected. If you can't do that then you probably won't enjoy it. 

8 hours ago, Tank said:

Something that’s very obvious in the world of sports. It used to be that your late 30’s was the twilight of your career if that. Now it’s still part of a player’s prime years. 

That said, to me the Clone Wars being so close in time to the OT is not that big a deal. What bothers me more is the Jedi being forgotten in such a short span. Characters in ANH gave off the vibe that it had been so long since anyone saw a Force wielder that people almost refused to believe they ever existed. 

"Obi-Wan once thought as you do."

Maybe this is how the Vader interaction can be made unique and personalized?  Vader seems to imply in ROTJ that Obi-Wan once tried to save him.  We never got that in the prequels.  Maybe it happens in this series?  Maybe we see Obi-Wan try to turn Vader and fail miserably, reinforcing the idea that Vader is just an evil machine.     

5 hours ago, Lord Darth Hunter said:

Something that’s very obvious in the world of sports. It used to be that your late 30’s was the twilight of your career if that. Now it’s still part of a player’s prime years. 

That said, to me the Clone Wars being so close in time to the OT is not that big a deal. What bothers me more is the Jedi being forgotten in such a short span. Characters in ANH gave off the vibe that it had been so long since anyone saw a Force wielder that people almost refused to believe they ever existed. 

The Jedi being all but forgotten is exactly one of the big reasons that does implicate it’s much more than 20 years.

6 hours ago, Tank said:

The Jedi being all but forgotten is exactly one of the big reasons that does implicate it’s much more than 20 years.

Wasn't there a thread by SoL back in the day about "you give me an inconsistency and I'll explain it away".

So--imma try to explain it away.  As many have pointed out, a huge problem with the EU is that in such a large galaxy, the stories are limited to a select few worlds and people.  These are all places, people and cultures that regularly interact with Jedi, but for the vast majority of the galaxy, interactions are rare/ non-existent.  Just think of any local food/ clothing/ religion/tradition that is considered commonplace in your area of the world but outside of your world would be seen as unusual or even archaic. 

Second, the idea of jedi/sith/ the force  is out of reach and disconnected from most people.  It is a religion practiced by a very, very elite few.  Maybe thousands in a galaxy of trillions (maybe quadrillions)?  That would be like 2-3 people on Earth.  I know they bring in a very few kids each year, but even Qui Gon said if Anakin was on a core world he would have been identified earlier.  Also, how many kids on Earth are abducted into slavery every year and for most of society it is, at most, a thoughts and prayers solution.

59 minutes ago, Tank said:

I’d counter that Jedi are more like the Catholic Church than a fast food chain.

And that thread you speak of was peak fanboy apologist hahah

I'd counter that by saying what percentage of the world's population is either a practicing Jedi or Jedi culture or even traditions are important to their lives?  What do you call followers of the Jedi religion that aren't actually Jedi?  Are there Jedi temples throughout the world people can worship at?  Are Jedi traditions (from the most secular to the most sacred) accessible to anyone and followed generationally by families even if there are members of the family that are not Jedi?  Even if individual is not part of family which follows Jedi traditions, is it likely that the individual have basic knowledge of Jedi traditions?  Are there mainstream divisions of the Jedi religion that share the majority Jedi practices except a few minor changes.  For example--Belief in Anakin being the chosen one?  Is it okay to worship/ hold in high regard prior Jedi?  What about the whole coming back from death--I am sure many Jedi would disagree with that practice.  Do followers of the Jedi religion that aren't Jedi tithe?  Are they free to worship at one of thousands of the Jedi temples on their home worlds? 

With that all said--yeah--you are right. 

Yes, on the dozen or so worlds we see out of tens of thousands of habitated worlds, all of which having semi-regular interaction with the Jedi, do say that phrase a lot. 

I remember as a kid there were so many "where's the Beef" jokes

WTF is  a Chirrut Imwe?

I can go all day. 

The whole Jedi being forgotten and what people know about them is wildly inconsistent just in OT. Hell just in ANH. Really in one scene in ANH.

In that scene Luke somehow seems to know what the Clone Wars are, know what a Jedi is but has never even heard of The Force. It makes no sense and never did. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.