Ewan McGreggor coming back as Obi-Wan

Darth Krawlie

Oh, the continuity errors annoyed me too, the biggest being Leia remembering her mother.  I just never put the lightsaber thing in that category.  Were we ever supposed to take Obi-Wan that literally in ANH?  That he tried to hand Anakin's lightsaber to Owen and Owen said "We don't want that thing?"  Maybe, but after all the backlash over it not being in the PT, I can't see it happening on this show without it feeling forced or a fan service.  It would have to be done just right for it to work for me.

Leia remembering her mother is not a continuity issue. The Force shows her glimpses of her mother as Yoda explained in "Empire". "Through the Force things you will see, the future, the past, old friends long gone." Leia is seeing visions of the past but since she doesn't know she is strong in the Force she thinks they are memories. 

20 minutes ago, Quetzalcoatl said:

I still say it’s a stretch, and I doubt it’s what Lucas originally intended when he wrote those lines for Leia.

It's 100% not what Lucas intended but thats not relevant. He also didn't intend Luke to be Vaders son or Luke and Leia to be siblings. 

Considering Luke doesn’t have any memory of his mother and he’s the one who asks Leia the question, there’s still a continuity issue.

The implication before the prequels was that Leia was with her Mother for a few years at least. Prequels might establish that wasn’t the case but Leia’s memories of her being unknowingly visions of the force when Luke had the same exposure - but doesn’t have any memories - doesn’t really address the problem. 

This is why I’ve always like Anakin needed to turn in Episode 2, and be the proto-Vader in episode 3– hunting the Jedi, but knowing Padme was with Obi-Wan.

I have a feeling that this Obi-Wan show could stand in for the PT on a watch-through.

2 hours ago, The Choc said:

It's 100% not what Lucas intended but thats not relevant. 

I have to disagree.  I think his intentions are relevant because they were so obvious in this instance.  I don't think anyone watching the movies would jump to the Leia being force sensitive explanation without having to do some mental gymnastics first.  I think this is one of those instances where Lucas's original intention is obvious just from the viewing, making it "obviously" a continuity problem.  If it wasn't "obviously" his original intention, then it doesn't work.  

I'd argue that what happens in the movies not aligning with what fans expected is a good thing. 

I also don't see it as a stretch or out of line with stuff that appears elsewhere. Yoda does say that people strong in the force will see the past. Thats a fact that I don't think anyone would disagree with, right? Leia has the Force so she could have visions of the past. Some of those visions are of Padme. In reality it's one of those happy coincidences like her being able to sense Luke in ESB. At that point she was not Luke's sister but she obviously has some connection to the Force. Her having "memories" of her mom she can't really place or explain makes perfect sense. Its not like she says "oh yeah I remember going to the circus with her, she bought me a balloon but in the way back to the ship I slipped and scraped my knee. She fixed it up." She just has very basic "memories" of her being sad and beautiful. 

People want to this this stories were handed down to Lucas atop a mountain or something and if they weren't its some huge problem. Within the OT there are obvious times when Lucas intention gets changed. Obviously Luke and Leia's kiss. Also no one would have a Death Star blown up in the first movie if they were planning on having another in the third. 

On 5/7/2022 at 6:58 PM, Quetzalcoatl said:

Oh, the continuity errors annoyed me too, the biggest being Leia remembering her mother.  I just never put the lightsaber thing in that category.  Were we ever supposed to take Obi-Wan that literally in ANH?  That he tried to hand Anakin's lightsaber to Owen and Owen said "We don't want that thing?"  Maybe, but after all the backlash over it not being in the PT, I can't see it happening on this show without it feeling forced or a fan service.  It would have to be done just right for it to work for me.

I think Obi-Wan was partly lying in ANH to manipulate Luke into becoming a Jedi. Obi-Wan also said Luke's father wanted him to have the lightsaber when he was old enough. I don't believe there was ever Anakin saying something like this in the prequels (and definitely not to Obi-Wan). After all, Anakin was trying to hide the fact that he and Padme were going to have a baby. Maybe they should film another edition of ROTS with the following dialogue:

Obi-Wan: "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you....uh...btw, this may not be the best time to ask...but...um...if your kid with Padme survives, would you want him to have this? (holds up Anakin's lightsaber)"

Anakin: "I HATE YOU!"

Obi-Wan: "Ummmm....I'll take that as a yes."

:D

I hope not.  At this point in Vader's life,  he should be full-on evil.  I always felt it wasn't until ROTJ Vader finally turned back.  Even in TESB, Vader just wanted to use Luke to overthrow the Emperor and take his place.  

Right I don't have an issue if Vader is just completely evil Vader in this but I don't think there would be anything wrong with that small good showing up either. Like if his last scene is him meeting the Emperor who asks him what Kenobi is up to and Vader lies or something. I don't think there would be anything wrong with that. 

Also from a practical plot standpoint I mean if Vader finds out Obi Wan is on Tatooine and like doesn't think something is up he just seems dumb. If he finds out and then covers it up, it makes sense. 

Yeah, I think you’re right. Obi-Wan seemed pretty convinced Vader was too far gone and irredeemable in the OT. Showing any sides of good now would ruin the impeccable continuity Star Wars has maintained throughout the years. 

kidding aside though you convinced me, no good shown in Vader in this

Honestly, it ruined the cartoon for me. Introducing time travel to Star Wars was a wrong turn for me. Almost as bad as Bringing Palpatine back. I love Ahsoka, but for all the great ways Dave Filoni has added to the mythos, his inability to kill his darlings for the sake of continuity has done some damage.

3 hours ago, The Choc said:

I look at it more that he always had that small kernel of good in him and coming face to face with Luke led to it growing. Luke brought the good out but it had to be somewhere deep inside him for Luke to find it. 

The thing about that is that I feel that not until Luke is willing to die rather than turn to the Emperor's side and is getting electrocuted, that Vader doesn't fully turn back to the light side.  In rebels, Vader does hesitate during the duel with Ahsoka, but he is still too evil to overcome that.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.