Ewan McGreggor coming back as Obi-Wan

Darth Krawlie

1 hour ago, Zathras said:

The PT needed a Marcia Lucas type, and it would have been fine. That said, I still will take PT as is over TLJ or TROS.  I hope Obi Wan is better than either. 

Lucas was a great BIG IDEA guy in addition to being somebody who pushed technology to match his vision, and had the smarts to recreate myth (SW) and serialized adventure (Indy) in a modern way.

As a director, he was average at best. As a writer, he is awful.

He should have stayed in that EP position (like he was for ESB and ROTJ), overseeing production and hiring experts to do things in a better way. And he 100% needed to be challenged, which is what Marcia Lucas and Gary Kurtz did.

Getting rid of them, surrounding himself with yes-men like Rick McCallum, and deciding to do all the creative himself was the worst possible move, and the PT is the result.

He was, Spielberg even threw him under the bus by saying he was just there to tell George’s story.

But yeah, a lot of visionaries lose their way in age. Scorsese, Burton, Spielberg— lots of legends have lost their edge.

But then you got people like Mike Flannagan, Denis Villanue, the Russo bros, and others who keep topping themselves.

You could tell from the supplemental material on the Blu ray that Spielberg had no real interest in doing that movie. I think he even says in the doco he was basically forced by Lucas/Ford to do it. He wasn’t a Yes man but ‘yeah whatever’ man by the time they were doing it. 

On 3/19/2022 at 2:54 PM, Tank said:

He was, Spielberg even threw him under the bus by saying he was just there to tell George’s story.

But yeah, a lot of visionaries lose their way in age. Scorsese, Burton, Spielberg— lots of legends have lost their edge.

But then you got people like Mike Flannagan, Denis Villanue, the Russo bros, and others who keep topping themselves.

Didn't Spielberg once say he would have changed the ending of Close Encounters because he no longer likes Dreyfuss's character leaving? That type of thing says a lot, I'm glad he never tried to pull a Lucas and redo it.

As much as I like Hayden Christensen, rewatching ROTS I'm reminded of how "inconsistent" he was in the role of Anakin Skywalker. He changes accents and tones so often it's distracting. Then there are moments he's comfortable with the part and you're like YES! Keep doing that! GL could have signed this by telling CUT more often. By this point he wasn't wasting actually film.  I'm curious as to how Hayden will handle the role all these years later. If we hear his actual voice. Heck he might not have that much screen time.

1 hour ago, CoLA said:

Didn't Spielberg once say he would have changed the ending of Close Encounters because he no longer likes Dreyfuss's character leaving? That type of thing says a lot, I'm glad he never tried to pull a Lucas and redo it.

He did change E.T

I also just read recently that Spielberg admitted making sequels is not his thing because he tends to relax. Aside from the Indy franchise, the only sequel he's ever made is The Lost World. He said when you make a movie, you're on edge because you're not sure how it's going to be received. In his mind every movie he was making might be a disaster. But when you make a sequel to a success like Jurassic Park, particularly in those days, you knew it would make money. There was no worry that no one would want to see it. So he didn't have an edge when making that film, and he ended up making a film that by his own admission was a very weak sequel. 

The last time Lucas had to worry about making a movie that could be a box office disaster was ESB. 

27 minutes ago, Metropolis said:

As much as I like Hayden Christensen, rewatching ROTS I'm reminded of how "inconsistent" he was in the role of Anakin Skywalker. He changes accents and tones so often it's distracting. Then there are moments he's comfortable with the part and you're like YES! Keep doing that! GL could have signed this by telling CUT more often. By this point he wasn't wasting actually film.  I'm curious as to how Hayden will handle the role all these years later. If we hear his actual voice. Heck he might not have that much screen time.

We'll probably end up seeing more of him in the Ahsoka series than Obi Wan

54 minutes ago, Lord Darth Hunter said:

He did change E.T

I also just read recently that Spielberg admitted making sequels is not his thing because he tends to relax. Aside from the Indy franchise, the only sequel he's ever made is The Lost World. He said when you make a movie, you're on edge because you're not sure how it's going to be received. In his mind every movie he was making might be a disaster. But when you make a sequel to a success like Jurassic Park, particularly in those days, you knew it would make money. There was no worry that no one would want to see it. So he didn't have an edge when making that film, and he ended up making a film that by his own admission was a very weak sequel. 

The last time Lucas had to worry about making a movie that could be a box office disaster was ESB. 

At least he kept the original of E.T. available! You can still get the one with the cops with guns, unlike Lucas who tries to disregard the original copies entirely. :|

3 hours ago, CoLA said:

YES-- and it offends me on every level hahaha.

1 hour ago, Metropolis said:

This is the sort of thing a GOOD director would catch, either on set, or in post when doing ADR. Some actors really need to be directed. Hayden has been decent in other stuff, Natalie Portman has been oscar-level good in a lot of things, yet both were awful in the PT. That's because George wasn't getting performances out of them, he's just concerned with blocking and visuals. 

• 1 month later...

Yes, works nicely. Presume he is teamed up with another Jedi, saying we must keep hidden.

Fingers crossed for some good fun with this.  I hope for a few lightsaber battles, but only with inquisitors. Want him to be on the run from Vader (in a tense and exciting way), knowing he has responsibilities with Luke back on Tatooine.

6 hours ago, Tank said:

I've been waiting for that Owen/Obi-Wan interaction since the day the PT was announced.

This is going to be a lot of Lucasfilm trying to give us what was missing from the prequels.

Absolutely, the same way Mando gave fans what they wanted from the ST. I have no doubt they went to Ewan and said “Hey, what if you were Obi-Wan again, only this time you do what everyone thought you were going to do before. And also… will have actual writers and directors involved.”

Well, I HOPE it is good.  Six episodes is not all that long when you think about it. I just hope we don't get another BOBF level of Star Wars.   Ewan's scenes are sure to please, but I am worried about the writing.   

3 hours ago, Zathras said:

Well, I HOPE it is good.  Six episodes is not all that long when you think about it. I just hope we don't get another BOBF level of Star Wars.   Ewan's scenes are sure to please, but I am worried about the writing.   

It doesn't but compared to a movie it's a lot more than what we would get, 6 hours vs 2 or 3. I love that we're going to see how that animosity Owen had towards Obi-Wan came about.

And has Kenobi's time on Tatooine "uncivilized" him? Using a blaster, for shame!

On 5/5/2022 at 3:31 PM, CoLA said:

I love that we're going to see how that animosity Owen had towards Obi-Wan came about.

Same.  But I really hope they don't attempt a scene where Obi-Wan tries to give Owen Anakin's lightsaber for Luke when he's older and Owen waves it away.  That not being shown in the prequels has been a point of criticism among some fans and has often been called a continuity problem, but I just don't think a scene like that was ever really needed.  Even before the PT, I came to take anything that Obi-Wan said to Luke in that ANH scene with a grain of salt.  After all, that line of Obi-Wan's in ANH came right on the hills of him telling Luke that Vader killed his father.  I certainly didn't walk out of the theater after seeing ROTS disgruntled that we never saw Obi-Wan offer Owen the lightsaber, and it never even crossed my mind that this would happen.  I never understood why it has always been a hot button issue with some fans.  

I’m the opposite, I scoured the OT for Every mention or reference to the Clone War era assuming these would be the signposts of the PT.

The fact Lucas seemed to not know his own story still annoys me. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.