Ewan McGreggor coming back as Obi-Wan

Darth Krawlie

Agree with the Inquisitor comments. They work well enough in games like Jedi Fallen Order, but think I would have gone a different way - leave Tatooine on a mission of some desperate urgency.

Bad enough that thanks to the PT, Obi-Wan is hiding Luke where Anakins mum is buried - to have the Inquisitor’s searching for Jedi activity on that planet would surely finally tip off Vader investigate (or simply visit) the Lars homestead?

Attack of the Clones still has a lot to answer for!

53 minutes ago, Rogue 3 said:

Agree with the Inquisitor comments. They work well enough in games like Jedi Fallen Order, but think I would have gone a different way - leave Tatooine on a mission of some desperate urgency.

Bad enough that thanks to the PT, Obi-Wan is hiding Luke where Anakins mum is buried - to have the Inquisitor’s searching for Jedi activity on that planet would surely finally tip off Vader investigate (or simply visit) the Lars homestead?

Attack of the Clones still has a lot to answer for!

The problems really go back to TPM. Making Anakin a Tatooine native was a big mistake. 

Yeah, that’s fair to say. Could have come from any planet as long as they explain a good relationship to Owen & Beru.

But I think that part is just about ok for me as it was a different area of Tatooine - going to the Lars homestead in AOTC was a big mistake.

3 hours ago, Fozzie said:

The problems really go back to TPM. Making Anakin a Tatooine native was a big mistake. 

The OG story, from the ANH and ESB novels, was that Owen was Ben’s brother. I wish they’d stuck with that.

41 minutes ago, Tank said:

The OG story, from the ANH and ESB novels, was that Owen was Ben’s brother. I wish they’d stuck with that.

Absolutely. Or made Owen another padawan who left the Order, if they needed to change it. That could've fit with the OT character as well. 

53 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

Absolutely. Or made Owen another padawan who left the Order, if they needed to change it. That could've fit with the OT character as well. 

That would of been a good way to explain why Tatooine farming gear ended up being the Jedi look too.

’Why do moisture farmers dress the same as Jedi on Tatooine?’

’well actually they’re all Jedi too!’

This reminds me of a few things I think would have made TPM a bit better!

Anakin would be older, like same age as Padme. He would want to get offworld but his family is too poor.

He meets up with Qui-Gon and co., and helps them out by winning a race. Qui-Gon invites him to go with them since he helped and Qui-Gon senses he is strong with the Force.

Anakin and Padme have a bit of a Han/Leia dynamic initially, so the romance in AOTC makes more sense.

Owen is pissed at Anakin for just leaving them and blames the Jedi.

Just a few things that would have made a big difference IMO!

20 minutes ago, Dark Wader said:

That would of been a good way to explain why Tatooine farming gear ended up being the Jedi look too.

’Why do moisture farmers dress the same as Jedi on Tatooine?’

’well actually they’re all Jedi too!’

Truth. That’s definitely a mistake they made - something more akin to Luke’s ROTJ outfit would’ve been better. 

And Owen being a former padawan would’ve been stupid, but still an improvement over what we got. 

Actually the more you think about it, it’s not stupid at all. It would have added a ton of depth to Owen’s character, his ranting about Obi Wan being a crazy old wizard. 

What we got just felt like such an afterthought, like Lucas forgot about them until late into writing it. 

Regardless of everything, what has always been described as an out of the way backwater planet, is actually a hub of criminal activity, the go-to places for people with a price on their head to hide. Now the Inquisitors are coming tot Tattooine, looking for Jedi, SUSPECTING one is around, and Obi-Wan doesn't change Luke's last name, gives him to Anakin's stepbrother, knowing Luke is going to grow up next to the grave of Darth Vader's mom.

Whos' stupider? Obi-Wan for hiding Luke there, or Vader for never coming around?

The answer is George Lucas.

9 hours ago, Tank said:

Regardless of everything, what has always been described as an out of the way backwater planet, is actually a hub of criminal activity, the go-to places for people with a price on their head to hide...

This is what bothers me about all these stories/movies/shows that continued to concentrate on Tattooine. If everyone knows it's the go-to place for people to hide, then it's not really a good place to hide.

50 minutes ago, Lord Darth Hunter said:

This is what bothers me about all these stories/movies/shows that continued to concentrate on Tattooine. If everyone knows it's the go-to place for people to hide, then it's not really a good place to hide.

It's like the go-to place for everything. 

Hell, why was Han on Tatooine in ANH? Seems like the dumbest place to be if Jabba's after you. You've got an entire freaking galaxy, but you're going to hang out in the next town over?

15 hours ago, Tank said:

Regardless of everything, what has always been described as an out of the way backwater planet, is actually a hub of criminal activity, the go-to places for people with a price on their head to hide. Now the Inquisitors are coming tot Tattooine, looking for Jedi, SUSPECTING one is around, and Obi-Wan doesn't change Luke's last name, gives him to Anakin's stepbrother, knowing Luke is going to grow up next to the grave of Darth Vader's mom.

Whos' stupider? Obi-Wan for hiding Luke there, or Vader for never coming around?

The answer is George Lucas.

Some of this can easily be dealt with in story. What if Obi Wan is in Mos Espa one day and sees some kind of bad thing going down? Like a family being attacked by some criminals or something of that nature. He then intervenes and in the course of saving this innocent family uses his lightsaber. Word of this would obviously spread and would draw Imperial attention. 

In fact I'd suspect this is what happens based on the Inquisitors speech about Jedi not being able to resist helping people. 

2 hours ago, The Choc said:

Some of this can easily be dealt with in story. What if Obi Wan is in Mos Espa one day and sees some kind of bad thing going down? Like a family being attacked by some criminals or something of that nature. He then intervenes and in the course of saving this innocent family uses his lightsaber. Word of this would obviously spread and would draw Imperial attention. 

In fact I'd suspect this is what happens based on the Inquisitors speech about Jedi not being able to resist helping people. 

That doesn’t address the fact that Tatooine is the center of the Star Wars universe, despite being described as the planet that is furthest from. 

Seriously, it’s supposed to be a backwater planet but is featured in 5 movies and 2 TV shows for a series that has 11 movies and 4 TV shows. 

2 hours ago, The Choc said:

Well then Palpatine and Vader are idiots for not reading the reports from their own Inquisitors and seeing Jedi action happening on Vader's home planet.

53 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

That doesn’t address the fact that Tatooine is the center of the Star Wars universe, despite being described as the planet that is furthest from. 

Seriously, it’s supposed to be a backwater planet but is featured in 5 movies and 2 TV shows for a series that has 11 movies and 4 TV shows. 

Isn't it really just Luke that describes it as being nowhere?  He is clearly bored out of his mind and wishes for adventure, so we have to take his thoughts on things with a grain of salt sand.  Hell, I grew up in the Baltimore/DC metro area where there was so much going on around us that it was difficult to lose track of things and people complained about it in similar ways, too, on occasion.

The planet clearly is out far from the rich, core worlds, but being from a sparsely inhabited area doesn't mean the same thing as unimportant or unconnected from the bigger picture of things.

14 hours ago, Lord Darth Hunter said:

I can buy it for Luke and Old Ben.  

First, we have to remember the only ones who know Luke is alive and the son of Anakin are Kenobi, the Lars', and Yoda.  We may get a reason why Skywalker the last name doesn't stand out. It could be a common last name there.  Or, at this point, Luke may even be going by the last name Lars.  In any event, no one is looking because no one knows he even exists. 

As for Kenobi, he is going by Ben at this point, and whomever he crosses paths with don't know he is Obi Wan.  He sees his life as a jedi is over and refrains from heroics now, and lives alone in the middle of nowhere.  People see him as a kook to be avoided.  Plus, he may be throwing mind tricks to conceal his identity, as well.

11 hours ago, Tank said:

Well then Palpatine and Vader are idiots for not reading the reports from their own Inquisitors and seeing Jedi action happening on Vader's home planet.

How about Vader figures out the truth about Luke but the morsel of good still in him makes him keep the info to himself?

Also the idea that that Tatooine is some backwater planet where nothing happens is put forth my Luke, as a teenager in ANH. Teens always want to get away from where they are and complain about it. 

12 hours ago, Jacen123 said:

Isn't it really just Luke that describes it as being nowhere?  He is clearly bored out of his mind and wishes for adventure, so we have to take his thoughts on things with a grain of salt sand.  Hell, I grew up in the Baltimore/DC metro area where there was so much going on around us that it was difficult to lose track of things and people complained about it in similar ways, too, on occasion.

The planet clearly is out far from the rich, core worlds, but being from a sparsely inhabited area doesn't mean the same thing as unimportant or unconnected from the bigger picture of things.

It’s a Hutt world on the Outer Rim, too far out to be considered important by the Republic. The entire point was to have the hero coming from nowhere. Not from the most important planet in the galaxy.

5 hours ago, The Choc said:

How about Vader figures out the truth about Luke but the morsel of good still in him makes him keep the info to himself?

Also the idea that that Tatooine is some backwater planet where nothing happens is put forth my Luke, as a teenager in ANH. Teens always want to get away from where they are and complain about it. 

We can make excuses and retcon things as much as we want to sleep better at night, but Star Wars will forever be cursed by Lucas having great ideas and the inability to figure out how to make them functional, and by not following his own story.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.