Ewan McGreggor coming back as Obi-Wan

Darth Krawlie

• 1 year later...

On paper it looks like everything I ever asked for in an Obi Wan movie or tv series.   I want to be excited. I really do.  But after Xfiles being lame,  JJ abrams destroying Star Trek and likely will destroy the new DC universe he is in charge of, then Alex Kurtzman screwed the pooch with Picard and Discovery, and the disaster that is the ST (again, JJ Abrams) I am tired of people pissing on me and telling it's just rain.  Color me skeptical and cynical, because as much as it seems like the resurge I want, something deep down tells me this will be another FUBAR reboot that will only disappoint.  

5 minutes ago, Tank said:

You're in a very slim demographic and you know it.

Ummm, maybe? I like the Mandalorian but I wouldn't go anywhere near saying it gives me everything I'd want in a post ROTJ world. In fact a show about a bounty hunter is close to the last thing I'd have wanted. Either way, its a good show. 

I actually deleted the post because I didn't feel like disparaging a show I actually do like and look forward to. I guess I wasn't fast enough, lol.

Hahaha-- you always do this. Say its good, but also neg it. You don't have to assert this, and that TLJ is the best ever single time. And you ARE in a slim margin. By and large, fandom hated TLJ and loved Mando. And I'm really not trying to trigger you into debating Luke's appearance in Mando again, but people loved it, and you know it. I'm talking the largest, widest, common denominator of fandom that does not over think these things. 

The Mandalorian is far more praised than the ST, and people on this website, and many others, say it makes for a better sequel to the OT than the ST. To THAT point, the Obi-Wan show has the potential to do the same thing and give us McGregor as Obi-Wan, which we all love, a chance to do more with the character, with (hopefully) decent writing this time around.

I'm not claiming anything outlandish or new-- people all across fandom are saying this. It's not really a debate beyond that it challenges your opinions.

The fact that people love it means nothing to me. People love Family Guy. Doesn't mean it isn't an awful show. Thats not to say The Mandalorian is an awful show, nothing even near that. Its a very good show. Im pretty sure I watched every single episode the day it was released. The Luke scene was very cool. My only issue is when people say thats the Luke they've always wanted. I've made my points on that before though so I won't rehash.

Either way personally Im looking forward to this Obi Wan show alot and pretty much every other thing they have scheduled. Out of everything Star Wars I've taken in which is 11 movies and 2 tv shows basically there is only 1 thing I don't genuinely like. So ofcourse I'd expect to like the majority of what is still to come. 

And when I say that people loving it doesn't matter to me Im not trying to say any one individual's opinion is not valid. But the overall fandom I could care less about. In fact if I disagree with fandom as a whole, if anything, it makes me feel more comfortable with my own opinion. 

The best way to describe fandom as an overall group is to say "a person is smart, people are dumb." 

1 hour ago, Tank said:

Yeah-- but look at The Mandalorian.

Where the ST failed, that show gave us everything we wanted in a post ROTJ world. I see the Obi-Wan show as a chance to do the same thing for the PT.

If the folks behind Mando were doing this show, I would agree.  But seeing as how this is produced by Kathleen Kennedy (blech!), Deborah Chow (not familiar with her, 2 episodes of Mando get cancelled out by Flowers in the attic for me), and Michelle Rejwan (Super 8 , Star Trek Into Darkness, and Rise of Skywalker), and throwing Ewan a producer credit was likely just to get him on board, kinda proves my point. 

I will happily eat my words if this ends up being awesome, but you know, I am not convinced I am wrong.

Well Kathleen produced Mando too and Chow directed the best eps of the first season, so half of Mando is involved. Just not the show runners. 

I’ve got faith, I think Disney had realised interfering wasn’t helping them and the hands off and letting Kennedy do her thing has paid off for Mandalorian. 

26 minutes ago, Dark Wader said:

Well Kathleen produced Mando too and Chow directed the best eps of the first season, so half of Mando is involved. Just not the show runners. 

I’ve got faith, I think Disney had realised interfering wasn’t helping them and the hands off and letting Kennedy do her thing has paid off for Mandalorian. 

Yeah but the big difference is that Favreau and Filoni are not involved with this. At all.  In fact, there is all kinds of drama going on at Lucas Film about the Mando behind the scenes.  The simple fact that 2 of those producers on this list are pretty unseasoned concerns me.  

I'm primarily talking about the Gina Carano nonsense, but Pedro Pascal has been a pain in the ass, too. And some say Favreau and Kennedy have no love lost between them. I wouldn't be surprised if Mando gets dropped altogether.  I don't buy into the youtubers who gnash their teeth about all of it, but I do think it is a case of actors getting big heads and being difficult to work with, and higher ups having competing ideas of where they want the Star Wars universe to go.  

9 minutes ago, Zathras said:

Yeah but the big difference is that Favreau and Filoni are not involved with this. At all.

Fair enough. I don’t think they need to involved with everything and I’ve got enough confidence in Chow to do it. They’ve got plenty of their own shows to keep them occupied in the near future, taking on Kenobi as well might be spreading things thin. 

Personally I’m not seeing anything concerning about it. As long as JJ isn’t involved with Star Wars anymore that’s good enough for me. 

3 minutes ago, Dark Wader said:

Fair enough. I don’t think they need to involved with everything and I’ve got enough confidence in Chow to do it. They’ve got plenty of their own shows to keep them occupied in the near future, taking on Kenobi as well might be spreading things thin. 

Personally I’m not seeing anything concerning about it. As long as JJ isn’t involved with Star Wars anymore that’s good enough for me. 

Yeah but like I said earlier:

Michelle Rejwan (Super 8 , Star Trek Into Darkness, and Rise of Skywalker),

This is likely another JJ toadie taking over for JJ Abrams.  Basically, Alex Kurtzman all over again. And her resume is quite thin.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.