No more Spider-Man in the MCU

Darth Krawlie

Disney is probably going to gross about 11 Billion or so this year when its all said and done. They still have Frozen 2 and Star Wars in their pocket later this year. And they want 50/50 money split for all Sony Spidey films going forward? Get out of here. I dont disagree that it was better for the Spider-Man films to have the MCU blessing, but I certainly dont think its fair for Disney to demand such a ridiculous cut.

I don't disagree that Disney is bordering on monopoly territory, but I do disagree with the idea that they weren't due a bigger cut.

If I were the head chef of a restaurant working on making a profitable dish that everyone loved, I'd certainly want more than a dime for every dollar made too.

Completely agree they deserve a bigger cut, but 50/50 is absolutely ridiculous.

It sounds like it was the first card they played in the negotiations. . .and you always start big and work down. I don't think they actually ever expected a 50/50 deal but definitely more than they're getting now.

• 3 weeks later...

I was upset about this situation until I heard Feige's non-verbatim response of "Hey, we're just glad we got what we got from Spider-Man and although it sucks we can't progress further, we'll settle for the success we have had and will move on just fine."

I have loved Holland in the MCU and am totally satisfied. Sony has proved to know NOTHING about making a successful superhero movie so I have no doubt they will run this into the ground - especially since they consider Venom a "win" despite it really being just "meh" at best. They will try to combine the two, have a multi-verse angle where they bring back Tobey and Garfield (BANK IT) and it's going to suck. This whole thing is a lose-lose-lose deal.

Rumors persist of the companies trying to work something out. Who knows how much is true, but the latest is Sony offering 30% to Marvel.

The only thing that I take as definite is both sides want a deal and it's going to happen.

Having said that, I've really enjoyed the Holland movies, but I'm over Spider-Man's Stark obsession. Every movie he's been in has been as much about Tony as Peter. I can only imagine Spider-Man: Home Cookin' will be the same.

It will be worked out. Literally no one wants Sony to do it without Marvel. Not even Sony.

It's box office cash proven that having the MCU team involved in development and production equals better returns. No one will say no to that. It's just arguing over how to divide the pie. But some pie is better than no pie.

It’s been going around for at least a couple years now. It basically starts with “Apple has a lot of cash, and they’re definitely going to spend it on various tech/media companies. Sony has been on the list for at least a couple years, like I said. Who knows, it could happen, but the question is really whether it makes more sense to buy, or just start their own stuff and license material.

Here's the thing about Apple's streaming service... I've pitched to them and oddly, they want nothing that isn't MA14/PG13 or lighter in terms of content. Nothing blue, no swearing.

I know their flagship at the moment is the new Amazing Stories. It's a bit baffling to compete directly with Disney when they could literally do anything.

I believe there are also restrictions on the Netflix shows/characters for the next few years because of provisions in the contract with Netflix.

That's only in effect for 12 more months. Disney already said it won't carry the shows. Hoping Hulu or HBO will pick them up.

Disney+ isn't barring adult content like Apple is. It's just not their demo.

They aren't being picked up, all the actors and writers were released from their option contracts. Maybe there will be some sort of revival, but there is an internal war between Jeph Leob and Kevin Fiege. That's why all the new shows for Disney are Avenger spinoffs and everything Leob shepherded, even AOS, is going away.

There has always been a disparity between TV and films in terms of money and quality-- but everything is shot at the same resolution now, off the shelf software is used in blockbuster films, and Marvel can afford to pay anyone other than RDJ their quote for a multi-part Show.

Some of Apple's stuff looks like of cool and their price point is nice, but all you get is their proprietary shows, right?

Disney can get away with that because they have a decades old library with ton of acquired stuff, but I'm just not down for another subscription just to watch a Jason Momoa or Ronald D. Moore show that might be alright, especially when there's so much other good stuff to see elsewhere.

I believe there are also restrictions on the Netflix shows/characters for the next few years because of provisions in the contract with Netflix.

That's only in effect for 12 more months. Disney already said it won't carry the shows. Hoping Hulu or HBO will pick them up.

Ahh, I thought it was for longer than that. I also hadn't heard that the casts had been released from their contracts.

I think so, which makes me wonder how all the NBC/Universal, Viacom, Fox TV, and TimeWarner/WB content on there will go away.

My show is produced by AwesomenessTV, which was recently bought by Viacom to be their youth-oriented ProCo. Since Viacom bought ATV and Disney bought into Hulu, everything is still operating as normal. Hulu wants shows from any studio. They have no edict from Disney as of yet.

Disney also bought Maker studios which was the content studio for all of the YouTube originals that came up from being indie projects (as opposed to YouTube Red), and they are still doing their thing without much interference.

Disney wants to own everything, but they only meddle when the acquisition flounders. YouTube, Marvel, Pixar, Lucasfilm, etc. all operated independently, but are also making money. Fox has been struggling for years, hence Disney cleaning house.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.