No more Spider-Man in the MCU

Darth Krawlie

I'm very hesitant to believe this news. I believe they haven't been able to work a deal, but there's a huge difference between that and never working one out.

I kinda wish Marvel had killed Peter in Endgame instead of Tony. Like a last minute Spock moment in Khan. We all see Tony is gonna do it and then THWIP web shooter, gauntlet is on Spidey and snap. Then Sony could have rebooted or done Miles and Marvel could have ignored it until a solid deal was done or Disney just buckled down and reacquired the rights in full.

Of course... that would have needed to have been prior to Far From Home getting a script (considering its post-Endgame).

I'm glad Tony died. It finally moves the MCU forward, instead of just being Iron Man and Friends.

Plus I'll finally get Sherlock Holmes 3.

Feige leaving the table (if that's really how it happened) might be a way to put public pressure on Sony when the general online nerd outrage gets poured all over them. And this isn't the first time they've stopped talking only to make a deal later.

This

I'm on the train of thought with Disney just playing hardball and weaponizing public outrage.

Sony built up a lot of goodwill with Spider-verse, but backwards engineering a new offbrand MCU out of Venom isn't going to fool anyone. No way a deal doesn't eventually happen.

*IF* a deal doesn't get done, I wonder if Marvel and Disney would technically have the rights to the Miles version of Spidey.

It seems like everyone except fanboys on Reddit agrees that Sony owns the rights to Miles. At the very least they own Spider-Man, and the only way Miles works is making him Spider-Man.

Disney is probably going to gross about 11 Billion or so this year when its all said and done. They still have Frozen 2 and Star Wars in their pocket later this year. And they want 50/50 money split for all Sony Spidey films going forward? Get out of here. I dont disagree that it was better for the Spider-Man films to have the MCU blessing, but I certainly dont think its fair for Disney to demand such a ridiculous cut.

Sony sources say it’s about producing credits. Feige allegedly helped with Venom but didn't get any credit for it, so who knows. Spider-Man with Tom Holland is going to make a lot of money without Samuel L Jackson showing up. Venom made $855 million without a connection to the MCU, Far From Home made $970 million. That's a ton of money, but Spider-Man is a much bigger draw. Sony has very little to lose by walking away.

Marvel is going to make a ton of money either way, but they need to figure out who can step up and be the next Iron Man and Captain America in terms of carrying the franchise. Spider-Man is an easy call for that, especially as he ages. Put a couple of years between Far From Home and Spider-Man: Home Alone, and you can have a more mature, leading hero. Doesn't have to be that way, but I think Marvel loses more than Sony if they don't work out a deal.

Disney is probably going to gross about 11 Billion or so this year when its all said and done. They still have Frozen 2 and Star Wars in their pocket later this year. And they want 50/50 money split for all Sony Spidey films going forward? Get out of here. I dont disagree that it was better for the Spider-Man films to have the MCU blessing, but I certainly dont think its fair for Disney to demand such a ridiculous cut.

I don't disagree that Disney is bordering on monopoly territory, but I do disagree with the idea that they weren't due a bigger cut.

If I were the head chef of a restaurant working on making a profitable dish that everyone loved, I'd certainly want more than a dime for every dollar made too.

Jodie Foster?

I think that if they keep the writers and Tom Holland, Sony can make a couple stand alone Spider-films, and it wouldn't be a bad thing if the MCU as a whole isn't reflected.

It doesn't have to be NOT the MCU, just not overtly the MCU. Then down the road when they get to another Avengers movie they can get it together and have him back in and it won';t seem like anything is out of place so long as Sony doesn't do anything irreparable to the mythos.

The only thing I'd miss is Happy and May, which I thought was really cute and funny.

As long as they don't screw it up, I would love to see a real Spider-Man solo movie. No adult heroes leading the way, but a story where it's all about Peter.

I haven't seen Far From Home yet, but that wasy initial thought when seeing Fury was in it. Just let Spider-Man be Spider-Man on his own.

I don't disagree that Disney is bordering on monopoly territory, but I do disagree with the idea that they weren't due a bigger cut.

If I were the head chef of a restaurant working on making a profitable dish that everyone loved, I'd certainly want more than a dime for every dollar made too.

Completely agree they deserve a bigger cut, but 50/50 is absolutely ridiculous.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.