Piracy notice from my cable company

Just got a letter in the mail saying I illegally downloaded Endgame. I pre-ordered it through Vudu so it was available the second it was released, so I had no reason to pirate it and nobody else in my family would even know how.

Do I contact the company to complain that I didn't do it, or just shrug it off and know that they're not going to see any more piracy?

Are you sure it is from your provider and not some new fangled email phish using throwback snail mail? lol I dunno. It just feels that a provider knowing your biz (which I figure they do anyway) but then they themselves taking action (and not a legal authority) seems beyond the scope of just a provider. But I dunno much of anything and have not ripped anything since Attack of the Clones... what a waste of four and a half days that was.

Ignore it. The ISP is just doing their due diligence to cover their own ass in case Disney pressures them further in the future. Those kinds of cases rarely if ever amount to anything to the end customer because there are so many ways that an allegation like that can be questioned or disproven.

Whatever you're downloading, it's not a bad idea to invest a buck or two a month in a solid VPN. It isn't the business of your ISP or anyone else what your data traffic is.

I use a VPN, I use a completely different DNS server, and I didn't download it.

At the very least, I also have a device that records my traffic so if I ever hear anything again I'll be able to definitively disprove it.

I downloaded a bunch of old video games a few years ago, but other than that it's all open source or free software that I torrent. It's amazing how slow Linux OSes are to download via direct link versus torrent (which they also provide).

Also, my kids are way too young and don't have unsupervised access to the internet. Oh well, I'm just not going to worry about it.

We got 2 of those in a week once. I called the cable company to tell them that we didn't do it, and there's no way anyone in the house was doing it. They said someone might've been tapped into our signal. So we reset all the passwords to be safe.

My brother was living with me 7 months ago and I got a notice that he illegally downloaded Ren and Stempy torrent. I didn't bother contacting Comcast, as it was just a warning. I just bought a 3-year VPN license and that was the end of it. Now he's gone so I don't use it as often but it's nice to grab something without worrying too much.

I was able to verify it wasn't done on my network. So I'm safe, they just messed up somewhere.

And glad to see you, Rock. I'm surprised they're even monitoring Ren and Stimpy.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.