Tool

Dark Wader

Not sure if any fans here. . .possibly Met?

But after 13 years we finally get the new album of 30th of August and today, they finally launched their backlog on streaming services. I forgot how good Lateralus was until today and definitely having some angsty teenage flashbacks.

Its so good isnt it? It only one track, but I really enjoy Maynards vocals. Over the years he doesnt scream as much as he used to live, and I remember reading or watching an interview where he said hes changing his vocal range because he just cant do that shit anymore. But I love it.

Yeah I'm in the same boat. He is over 50 now so the fact he still screams now and then live is impressive enough as it is. I'd rather he not do something on the album he can't replicate live anyway.

But even though I love Maynard, Danney Carey is what matters most for me and he definitely has not lost any potency. Reminded me a lot of Reflection in some parts which is in no way a bad thing considering Lateralus is one of the greatest albums ever made.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I took a listen to all the pre-released tracks, and I was like "man, that's definitely a Tool song."

Which... isn't bad, but I guess I was maybe expecting a little more evolution to the sound after so many years and other musical projects?

I also prefer APC, and there are some Puscifer songs that I would rank higher in sheer listen-ability than Tool, as well, but that definitely doesn't mean I dislike Tool. It's just a specific kind of music for a specific head state for me.

Theres Tool fans, and then theres THOSE Tool fans. And I completely agree.

With me, Im just a Tool fan. As for this album, its been well worth the 13 year wait. Danny, Adam, and Justin are highlighted on this album like no other album before this one. Maynard is vulnerable in his lyrics. This is a band that has evolved from their last album and have put the last 13 years in perspective on this album. Do I think its their last album together? I dont think so. But its definitely a band that knows that their time is limited. Everyone outside of Justin is 60 or damn near it.

As for songs, Invincible and Descending are the 2 songs that stick out the most for me. And its hard to just call them songs. Theyre 12-13 minute movements. Descending is probably my favorite. I love how Maynard is mostly front and center the first 6-7 minutes of the song, then the last 6-7 minutes, Danny, Adam and Justin just play off of each other and have an opportunity to play their asses off.

• 2 weeks later...

Back in 2007, me and a friend went to a Tool concert (Melt Banana opened for them, look them up!) and we split up 3 grams of shrooms. For years, it was hard to describe the look of the crowd of 25,000 people in an indoor arena. That is until the movie World War Z came out and the scene where thousands of zombies are piling and running on top of each other trying to breach the top of the city wall. Looked just like that.

I used to work in concert security at a large arena, and one time we went up to the seriously VIP highest point in the arena to watch the artist start the show. It was CRAZY watching the huge crowd go from thousands of individual people to this united FORCE rushing the stage in a split second. Your WWZ analogy is great. And I was totally sober!

I worked security for a Tool concert, but Im pretty sure this wasnt Tool, I seem to remember being more backstage for that show.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.